After 45 years, I gave up Cokes

Originally Posted by pbm
Good for you to see the light.
If you spill coke on metal it will stain it....imagine what it does to your stomach.

Also, 'high fructose corn syrup' is banned in some countries (but the corn lobby keep it around in the USA).

Finally, it has been shown that sugar feeds cancer tumors.

That is the phosphoric acid. Your stomach acid is much stronger.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Gotta have coke for my dark rum plus one can of Coke Zero per day with ice. But yes, I'm done with regular (classic) coke. Never cared for Pepsi. For weight issues, getting off sugar drinks yields really good results.

Bacardi 151 and Coke a mans drink.

If people who quit smoking vastly improve their health, I think the same principle will hold true for me giving up Cokes. Maybe my risk for the above issues will never be zero, but my risks will decline sharply.

Originally Posted by pbm

If you spill coke on metal it will stain it....imagine what it does to your stomach.

Your stomach acid has a much lower pH than Coke does.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
If people who quit smoking vastly improve their health, I think the same principle will hold true for me giving up Cokes. Maybe my risk for the above issues will never be zero, but my risks will decline sharply.

I would definitely agree.

Good for you, congrats!
In time, you will feel better even if you don't fool poorly now. Your weight will drop as long as you don't substitute with another sugar or extra carbs. Your blood sugar will also stabilize and there are other health benefits; too many to list. Keep drinking water and make sure you're eating a healthy diet. If you don't exercise, now is time to start.

Best of success,

CB

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Sadly, I think the damage is done, but it's definitely better to quit than continue on.

Best not to comment if you have nothing nice to say. Especially regarding one's health.

Gave it up 10+ ago, switched to diet but "deprecated " that a few years back. Now coffee, water (including seltzer) and a single beer per day!

Congrats on giving up soda!
They really are terrible for your body. I haven't had one in about a year now, one thing I noticed was my blood pressure lowered. I never had high blood pressure but cutting out soda made it lower. Regarding the energy boost you need, do you drink coffee at all?

A) There's no "hard luck" story or self serving carp in the following.
B) I know what I'm talking about just about as much as you all do. I say that respectfully.

I grew up in a household with a tight budget. We weren't poor by any stretch but soda NEVER came through the door.
An uncle worked in the waterfront industrial buildings in Brooklyn where Coca-Cola had a bottling plant. The execs and recipe checkers actively WARNED all the guys not to drink the stuff. What do you need to hear?

I believe it is the case that sugar causes an acid condition in our blood which fosters cancers.

A pal went to chef school and a Coke bottle nearly filled with white sugar was used as a demo to show how full of sugar the product actually was. There's no way in God's world where a concentration of sugar like that fits with any schedule of moderation.

All the diet sodas taste so bad I sincerely wonder what kinds of habits (a hand-to-mouth thing?) or stimulations (the bubbles?) are being satisfied.
Just because they make it doesn't mean you have to buy it. I feel that way about a lot of things.

My poor sister was addicted to diet sodas. I'd find 10 open, unfinished cans any time I visited.
We use a water box with replaceable filters in the fridge. I always drank a lot of water. They say it helps keep your skin moist.

Funny that, I'm an old crusty geezer. Must be all the ice cream and booze?

I am 56 now, Believe it or not, since about age 10, I have been drinking almost nothing but Cokes (Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, etc). I literally would go a month or more without drinking any water at all. I drank at least a 2 liter of Coke every day, sometimes 3L. The only other liquids I drank was maybe Gatorade on very hot days, or milk in my breakfast cereal, or an occasion sip of water from a drinking fountain.

Two weeks ago, I realized this simply had to stop. I suddenly stopped drinking Cokes and replaced them with water. It was tough. I have to get up at 3AM for work and I needed the Coke boost. I had headaches for at least a week and was lethargic, but I have moved past it for the most part.

My flawed rationale was "Since I don't drink alcohol, or smoke, never did any drugs, and I excercise, and my weight is not too bad, SO, it must be OK to drink so many Cokes. I was wrong. Drinking Cokes exclusivly for almost 50 years is BAD. Hopefully, its not too late to recover from it. I have drank more water in the past two weeks that I probabaly have in the past 10 years. Thats got to help, I have to believe.

I am a Diet Pepsi guy. Was your Coke regular or diet? The sugar in any juice or soda is not good. They are up in the air about the sweeteners in diet soda. If diet soda makes you crave other sweet food then its not so good. But if you can avoid anything with added sugar I am not sure diet soda is bad for you.

thumbsup2.gif

I gave up on pop 10-15 years ago. I'd have a can of Coke with lunch, 1-2 in the afternoon/evening and ...usually one with dinner. I don't remember exactly why I stopped but other than when I go somewhere like Wendy's where they have a combo meal that includes a drink, I'll either have water or coffee with a meal.

One thing I found helped me with the transition was drinking flavored carbonated water like LaCroix. I guess the bubbles were a big part of the experience of drinking pop for me so the carbonated water scratches that itch, without adding sugar or artificial sweeteners.

This is definitely the correct perspective. Is there harm already done? Maybe. Are you better off changing your habits from here on out? Almost certainly!

Originally Posted by buddylpal
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Sadly, I think the damage is done, but it's definitely better to quit than continue on.

Best not to comment if you have nothing nice to say. Especially regarding one's health.

Right. Let's hide our head in the sand, and pretend as if nothing happened.

As I noted, it is good that he quit. Better late then never. If the only thing the OP is looking for here is a pat on the back, then he already got plenty, and well deserved.

With that said, I would suggest he gets some comprehensive testing done just to see where he stands. "I feel fine today" doesn't always mean you'll feel fine tomorrow, but it's certainly a good start.
smile.gif

BTW, I am not giving medical advice. I am just recommending he consults someone who is a medical doctor to assess his health, if he hasn't already.

How is your dental health? Sugar in coke is an obvious problem, but the phosphoric acid also eats tooth enamel unless you always drank it with a straw.

My B2B at work is on Mountain Dew. 4-6 cans a day. And he says he cut it back down substantially. That's 200g of sugar from that daily. Oh my. Random diet coke for me

Back