Liquimoly Molygen 5W40 VOA

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Decided to go with Liqumoly's Molygen 5W40 this go around out of interest so did a VOA to compare with their Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 which I have also posted a VOA for previously but have included here. The Molygen should be basically the same except in contains a friction modifier (MFC - Molecular Friction Control) which is supposed to be a chemical friction additive (doesn't have the solid bits like MoS2 or Ceratec) made up of tungsten and molybdenum and of course, the green "predator blood" color. Side by side they look nearly the same otherwise and the likely missing VW502 00 approval is probalby due to the friction modifier included in the Molygen vs. running Ceratec or MoS2 separately which also would negate the VW502 00 approval. So a spike in molybdenum is all I see that stands out. Viscosity is nearly the same. TBN wasn't run but again, should be basically the same.

LM MOLYGEN 5W40-200503_virgin_analysis_clean.jpg

LM LLHT 5W40-191225_virgin_analysis_clean.jpg

Looks like a very stout oil and much better than the Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 to me. Much more Zddp, Phos, and Mag. and a healthy dose of Moly!

Do you know if this oil is Low SAPS? I'd like to run an OCI of this in my Passat TDi.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Looks like a very stout oil and much better than the Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 to me. Much more Zddp, Phos, and Mag. and a healthy dose of Moly!

Do you know if this oil is Low SAPS? I'd like to run an OCI of this in my Passat TDi.

I don't think so but they have Molygen New Generation 5W-30 DPF which is low saps

It is NOT recommended for diesels.

Originally Posted by Pelican

Then why does it have VW 502 and 505 approvals? as well as MB 229.5?

Which oil are you talking about? The Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40? That seems like a really good oil and not a horrible price on Amazon either.

Originally Posted by Pelican

IIRC those are pre-DPF certs. 229.51 would be DPF equipped diesel. Of course VW has 504.507 but those are limited to 30w oils.

Last edited:
To be clear, the Molygen oils from Liquimoly DO NOT HAVE VW APPROVALS. They are merely "recommended for" vehicles that need these approvals.

Originally Posted by Popsy
Thank you for the VOA.
Blackstone didn't test for tungsten, maybe that's where we'd see a spike?

I would assume so based on my research - I can ask them about that analyte.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Which oil are you talking about? The Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40? That seems like a really good oil and not a horrible price on Amazon either.

I pay ~$65 delivered for the LM oil kits including filter and drain plug. I don't see how folks go on and on that this is super expensive oil. $65 2-3 times a year...

Thanks TiGeo. Either one looks good to go for any VW as well as your modified GSW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Thanks TiGeo. Either one looks good to go for any VW as well as your modified GSW.

Oh for sure - the main issue with Molygen would be the lack of approval but based on this, I'd say it's just the added friction modifier. I ran Ceratec and MoS2 in my Leichtlauf so arguably the same issue w/r to warranty which BTW I don't get a flip about anway b/c of the tune/hardware I am running. So it comes down to that - want to run a friction modifier like Ceratec? Use Leichtlauf. Don't want to bother with a separate additive? Run the Molygen. Plus did I mention it's green?

Thanks for this TiGeo. I have just switched to the 10w-40 Molygen and it's great to see this info, oil going in a 4.0L 6cyl turbo barra. I have tried a few oils in it Shell GTL, Synpower and a Aussie and NZ manufacturer called Nulon who produce a lot of friction modified oils, moly etc. That's the oil that has done the best so far so I had to try the
Molygen when I saw it. Never used Liqui Moly oil before but a huge fan of their additives. Probably get a UOA on this one as well.

Here is the revised VOA with TBN added as well as tungsten (in the notes). So the "MFC" is just tungsten and molybdenum so kind of a hopped-up MoS2 additive which jives with other things I've read that say the MFC is not their top-of-the-line additive which is now Ceratec but is it's second-best, above the MoS2 which is the original from LM.

LM MOLYGEN 5W40-200503_virgin_analysis_clean.jpg

Last edited:
Just a question

Why is it that an oil has a name with MOLY in it

But has so little MOLY in its add package !!

RTG has over double the amount as well as several others

Just a question ?
Anybody know ?

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Just a question

Just a question ?
Anybody know ?

Because their original product was MoS2. Does Shell gas have shells in it?

Originally Posted by TiGeo
Just a question

Just a question ?
Anybody know ?

Apparently you've been missing play ground time at school since you've been held back at home for a few months.
What a childish reply to an ordinary question.
Maybe you should call Coca-Cola and ask them what's in Coke !

Originally Posted by TiGeo
Just a question

Just a question ?
Anybody know ?

Apparently you've been missing play ground time at school since you've been held back at home for a few months.
What a childish reply to an ordinary question.
Maybe you should call Coca-Cola and ask them what's in Coke !

It has been kinda lonely around here...hahahaha. It seems anytime Liquimoly someone comments on moly not being in the oil but having it in the name. Just having some fun.

Back