What exactly is Dexos?

What does the dexos spec mean? I hear many complain that an oil doesnt meat decox spec so its a no go. I understand it can be for warranty . Is it something to do with the calcium? What would the calcium levels cause in a GM engine? Just curious.

Please see the thread sited above-it's much better than the answers you are getting from the shade tree mechanics thus far.......................

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by MParr
It's basically a club oil companies join. In return for their membership dues, they get a snazzy logo to put on their oil containers.

As close as it gets!

Both useless comments of the day....................

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
It's basically a club oil companies join. In return for their membership dues, they get a snazzy logo to put on their oil containers.

As close as it gets!

Both useless comments of the day....................

Ok
Whistle britches
What's the answer to OP's question 🤔

We're all dying to know the real answer ðŸ‘

Bunch of hooplah, other than the lowered Noack standard.

See how I spelled Noack? That's how it's spelled please take note.

To stay out of court when customers wreck their engines using Fred's Custom Recycled Oil Emporium.

Oh - and to get a fat licensing fee from the oil makers, which they pass along to.........(wait for it).......us!!!

GM is more stringent on Volatility than API/ILSAC, thus for an oil to pass Dexos it generally has to be of a better quality than oil's that barely meet the API/ILSAC requirements. Although there are plenty of oils of great quality that don't have Dexos plus only 0w20, 5w20, and 5w30 are accepted Dexos1 grades. Dexos certification is really only important if you have a GM vehicle under warranty otherwise it's just a potential sign of quality that the oil exceeds API/ILSAC requirements and then some.

If I am being asked to produce a modern engine that is (1) powerful, (2) economical, (3) reliable, (4) eco friendly, (5) doesn't require frequent oil changes, and (6) I'm supposed to cover it with a long warranty, then I should be able to specify what lubricant to use in it, IMO.

Basic API specs haven't kept up with modern engine lubrication demands, so engine manufactures took matters in their own hands, and I don't blame them.

DEXOS?

WTH is ILSAC for?

Is it now Asian manufacturer centric?

Appears there is No Meeting of the industry minds anymore.

Noack ? What does Carnival Music have to do with oil ?

Insanity Reigns!

dexos is a lubricant specification. Tougher to meet than industry API specs (mainly comprised of oil industry over sight). ILSAC, a vehicle manufacturer driven spec, tried expanding on API specs. Most vehicle manufacturers have also published their own, specific, specs and most simply follow API/ILSAC. GM, with dexos, is not exclusively a GM spec (works with most modern engines) and has brought a new level to oils specs.

dexos oil hasn't been able to keep 3.6 engines from eating their timming chains and 5.3 with afm from digesting their lifters and cams. then there is the infamous 2.4 ecotec

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
dexos is a lubricant specification. Tougher to meet than industry API specs (mainly comprised of oil industry over sight). ILSAC, a vehicle manufacturer driven spec, tried expanding on API specs. Most vehicle manufacturers have also published their own, specific, specs and most simply follow API/ILSAC. GM, with dexos, is not exclusively a GM spec (works with most modern engines) and has brought a new level to oils specs.

Im not the OP but that thank you for a cohesive, intelligent answer.

It beats some of the stupidity in the above comments.

Last edited:
Yea, this thread has brought out the oil preference fanboys
lol.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD
There are always wise cracks about Dexos but not about Dexron

Now if there was a Dexos rated Dexron, that would be something ...
laugh.gif

Back