Base model vs fully loaded truck

Saw Toyota's 0% APR offer on new Tacomas. I've been wanting a taco for years but there was never the proper spec that I wanted. Roamed the dealer lot today and I'm getting the new car itch bad. It would be replacing my Outback/trailer set up. Nothing really wrong with it, but a truck bed would be more convenient.

new Tacoma SR AccessCab 6ft bed 2.7 4WD. Bare bones no jump seats in the back, not ideal but I like the 2.7 price, simplicity, reliability. It just works for me. 0% APR plus $500 military discount on new purchase. $29k MSRP

2017 SR5 Crew 6ft 3.5 4WD. 44k miles, more miles than I'd like but still low enough. $25k

2017 TRD Sport Crew 5ft 3.5 4WD "TRDPro" clone. Pro wheels, grill, mild lift, nav/JBL, OEM rood rails, katskin red leather seats. White/red color combo is very sharp. Really like how it's set up...although I can build one myself. 13k miles $32k

I like the SR 2.7 as it's exactly what I need, but the TRD Sport is what I want. The SR5 is a good middle ground, but it's also higher miles/off color combo(Barcelona red/chrome/gray int.)

Main reason I even considered a Taco right now is for the finance deal. Should I stick with the SR or just get the TRD Sport? Will the SR be harder to sell later on? I do not see a lot of 2.7s on the used market....is this good or bad?

Any one buy the 3.5 and regret not getting the 2.7 or vise versa? I drove a 2.7 and have no complaints. Have not driven the 3.5

Originally Posted by 02SE
I've been much happier whenever I've bought what I wanted.

This. It's okay to spoil yourself sometimes, and I've never heard someone say "man, I wish I would have gotten the smaller less powerful engine!"

Of those, I'd go for the TRD and not even consider the SR5 because for a little more you can have a new truck.

The base Tacoma is a dog IMO. Took a while to get to speed on the interstate. When my brother was looking for a vehicle, we looked at a base with this engine. Nice truck otherwise IMO.

The base was 27.5. A TRD fully loaded minus leather seats desert sand model was 32. It had the V6 too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
The base Tacoma is a dog IMO. Took a while to get to speed on the interstate. When my brother was looking for a vehicle, we looked at a base with this engine. Nice truck otherwise IMO.

The base was 27.5. A TRD fully loaded minus leather seats desert sand model was 32. It had the V6 too.

And it will way better hold value. 5k on the front end is a total no brainer.

Neighbor just got a new Taco … while I appreciate they are well built … IMO they looked better in the past. (but I think others have gotten too bold with styles … they are LT's … not sedans).

Hard part can be the mix when buying … would love to get the WT for an actual transfer case shifter … but really like certain features only available on mid level or higher.

Last edited:
How long do you plan to own for? I think loaded is going to trade in better. As in, it might retain a larger percentage of value. Then again, if you factor in total depreciation, it might not be ahead... have to run the numbers.

Not sure what the 3.5 has for "new fangled tech" but I'm guessing the 2.7 is made of old anvils. So if you buy and hold for 30 years I'd wager the 2.7 might hold the edge. Then again, it might take 30 years for you to get to your destination in the old and slow 2.7.

Not sure what you are using the trailer for, but I'm guessing it has a lower floor than the truck bed. Are you sure you want to hoist stuff up that much higher on a regular basis?

Lastly, you do know you'll have to give up your BITOG card if you trade off a sedan+trailer combo for a truck, right?

In 1990 I bought a middle of the line black Corvette 6 speed coupe. Gorgeous.
I wanted a convertible, but the coupe was already more than I could afford.

I ALWAYS looked with envy at the roadsters. I regretted, no hated, that decision.
If you are gonna spend the money, get the one you want, if it is within reason.

Prices on these crude machines is insane!

I think I paid 16,900.00 for a NEW Silverado V6 WT 4WD 5MT short box short bed with dual zone A/C and split bench .

That was a truck not a "Toy" Like a K5 but with no Cap.

I d rather go Vintage with a fresh motor. for 10-12K

Arco … I hear you … just looked on the internet … you want a bigger dose … go look at Jeep Rubicon online …

Get the truck you actually want or you'll regret it. It's a Tacoma so it'll hold its value better than any other truck on the market. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by millerbl00
Most dealerships here are going out of business. I would shop around. They are selling $40000 new trucks for $22000

Give me their dealership names/phone numbers.

Originally Posted by millerbl00
Most dealerships here are going out of business. I would shop around. They are selling $40000 new trucks for $22000

What exactly is a $40,000 truck these days?

Originally Posted by supton
Lastly, you do know you'll have to give up your BITOG card if you trade off a sedan+trailer combo for a truck, right?

That's exactly what I was thinking.
crackmeup2.gif

Back