Heart muscle

What is the volume of blood pumped by the heart each minute?

The heart pumps approximately the entire body blood volume completely each minute. According to the U. S. Department of Health, the average heart, based on our defaults, pumps about .073 liters of blood each beat or about 2000 US gallons per 24 hour day roughly

Take care of your heart, about 800,000 a year of us in the USA pass away due to heart failure...

That's why it's very important for people to be able to walk, run or any exercise to keep your heart healthy. It's bad enough what people are eating these days, then no exercise as well.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Take care of your heart, about 800,000 a year of us in the USA pass away due to heart failure...

True enough but how many of them have been sitting on their butt and smoking?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
True enough but how many of them have been sitting on their butt and smoking?

good point along with the foods we eat....but we are a strange and stubborn people -- sometimes

Normal left ventricular stroke volume is 60-70ml per beat. Normal cardiac output is roughly 4-7 liters per minute with and index of 2.5-4 liters per minute.

Manageable risk factors.
Blood pressure
Cholesterol parameters
Obesity
Diet Profile
Not smoking
Sedentary lifestyle
Managing alcohol intake, Substance abuse
Stress, anxiety
Managing diabetes

Non Managable risk factors.

Being male
Race
Postmenopausal
Viral / Bacterial infections

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
It doesn't help when a person can't goto the gym either.

True but we haven't been on lockdown for the last 30 + years.
I ready to get back to the gym for sure but just a block from my house there is a 12% grade hill .5 of a mile long. Going down hill is a piece of cake but trust my you can feel it coming back if you don't dog it.

In a general way, it's said that most mammals get about a billion heartbeats in their lifetime. (not a hard and fast rule, but close enough to be interesting) The shrew may have 1000 heartbeats per minute. The whale, far fewer. But in the end, a billion is a good number to go with.

Humans get over 2 billion (as do some chickens) . So don't exercise and raise your heart rate, lest you use up your 2.21 billion heartbeats too soon ...
smile.gif
(just kidding of course, exercise is good for you and will help extend life) (I'm also fairly sure that the comparatively small time one spend exercising with elevated heart rate is offset by a healthy heart beating slower the rest of the time)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cos
It's estimated that 80% of doctor visits are due to poor diet and lifestyle. Yikes!

i can believe that

And if you can't get to the gym, just get off of the sofa. You can stretch, step in place, do tai chi. I have my bike in a room mounted on a wind trainer, have some light weights, try to keep moving while channel surfing.

The heart doesn't need more exercise, according to my cardiologist. It's working all the time. I asked him this a few months ago. My heart has only a 50% output due to an electrical imbalance he is trying to correct. Left bundle branch block. I didn't even realize it until had an ekg for another reason.
People can exercise without a gym. I do every day about an hour. If one wants to they find a way. I exercise outside. Right across from a large sports center which is now closed. Almost no one around. There's a public garage with four flights of stairs.

People can exercise without a gym

Very true! The most important exercise for health does not need to be hard.
The heart doesn't need more exercise

Maybe not the heart muscle, but exercise increase the number of capillaries, the size and number of alveolar as well as improve the elasticity and diameter of your blood vessels.

Positive displacement pump ...
thumbsup2.gif

Don't let it hit "pressure relief".

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by cos
It's estimated that 80% of doctor visits are due to poor diet and lifestyle. Yikes!

i can believe that

You should and really not unbelievable many many health issues are cause of weight or diet issues. Look at childhood obesity alone.

Originally Posted by dave123
Simple walking and a healthy diet would benefit millions in this country.

Your wrong!

It would benefit tens or hundreds of millions of Americans. :eek:)
Blows my mind the garbage people eat for nutrition in this country. I used to also, that was along time ago now, thank god. Most people dont even know what real food is anymore or how good you can feel on a healthy diet, not only that but how you can enjoy it...

Last edited:
Absolutely check this statistic. I remember a young doctor telling me this when we'd meet up running on a commonly used track.

He said 95% of healthcare monies are spent in the final 5 years of life....or something like that.

You get the idea.

It's easier, smarter and cheaper to stay in shape than to have to work yourself back into shape or deal with secondary illnesses.

>>And remember the GENERAL RULE for food shopping. Shop the outer ring of the store, not so much the aisles. That's where the veggies, dairy, meat and fish are.

>> Avoid + manage the "3 deadly whites"....salt, sugar and white flour.

>> Avoid the horrid oils which pervade the food industry.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by cos

i can believe that

I remember reading that back in the 80's, only it was mentioned in regard to nurses, who have to deal more intimately with end of life patients.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by dave123
Simple walking and a healthy diet would benefit millions in this country.

Your wrong!

It would benefit tens or hundreds of millions of Americans. :eek:)

I'm not quite convinced by it--it's a great start, but unless if a vigorous walk can get you to the top of your aerobic zone, then odds are, you could stand something more vigorous than just strolling about.

I suspect there is value in walking more--mankind did for countless centuries and it may well be good by itself for the body--but good exercise should get the heart really going. Walking isn't going to burn many calories for those who are in shape.

Just my opinion, but last time I was in the doc's office he agreed with me. He still thinks I should be in a shape other than round though, so I clearly don't apply theory to practice.

Back