Fram Ultra Models that have been discontinued? Crossreference?

I've noticed a few Fram Ultra filters don't seem to be stocked anywhere, does anyone have any idea if they have they been discontinued, or if Fram just requires some sort of large minimum order and nobody orders them because the low demand.

The Fram XG30, the short filter for Chevy smallblocks, can be replaced with the longer XG5 .
The Fram XG3675, which is used on tons of GM vehicles, can be directly replaced with the XG9837, the 9837 is the same size as the 3675, it would normally not have an ADBV but all Ultra filters come equip with an ADBV it can be used in place of the XG3675.
The Fram XG2951, for a handful of Suzuki V6 engines and some 80s Toyota engines, it is the pretty much the same size as an XG3614 but has a different tapping plate to accommodate a smaller diameter gasket, would've been a good choice for an oversize in applications that call for an 4967 or 4386 size filter that don't have a large enough mount to accommodate the larger gasket of an 8/16/3600/3600 size filter .

Anybody notice any other hard to find Fram Ultra filters and found a suitable replacement for them?

Can you still get them online or even Walmart.com?

They may just be slow movers so retailers want the shelf space for something else.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Can you still get them online or even Walmart.com?

They may just be slow movers so retailers want the shelf space for something else.

Can't find any of them at Walmart, Amazon and some other online places seem to have some XG3675 in stock maybe a lot of places don't stock those because the smaller 3506 is allowed to be used in most cases, but any pictures I've seen of them seem to be older and the packages still say 15,000mi on them.
The XG30 and XG2951 don't seem to be stocked anywhere at all and if I stumble across a website that sold them they are out of stock and usually have old Xtended Gaurd stock photos, I've only found one XG30 for sale anywhere and it was on eBay was an older Xtended Gaurd bearing the ancient Fram X2 branding on the box.

I just checked Canadian Tire, for my cars it says the Fram Ultra is discontinued (!). The Ultra has been my go to filter... I'm wondering what happened?

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
I just checked Canadian Tire, for my cars it says the Fram Ultra is discontinued (!). The Ultra has been my go to filter... I'm wondering what happened?

Maybe they meant discontinued from their inventory, all of the cars in your signature should use very commonly available Ultras that I don't see being discontinued anytime soon.

Originally Posted by dnastrau
The Fram XG30 is not discontinued. If the filter is still listed on Fram's website, I am sure it is still available:

https://www.fram.com/parts-search/X...MgNQAcAAmIA6QgBkykzmErNhAEXTMAnmQBUIALpA

Literally the only one I can find for sale anywhere is listed on eBay in 15+ year old packaging, and that's not technically an Ultra even though it's the same part number. On Fram's website there is no actual picture of the filter just a generic stock photo of an Ultra box with no part number on it.

xg30 discontinued.PNG

I was looking on Fram's site today, the XG30 is officially marked as discontinued.

I can never find the XG3682 that my older Nissan uses anywhere at stores in Canada, in fact Canadian Tire only ever has their bargain filter in stock for it.

I can never find the XG3682 that my older Nissan uses anywhere at stores in Canada, in fact Canadian Tire only ever has their bargain filter in stock for it.
Wonder if there would be any harm in running a filter that has a bypass valve in it, Since the XG8A,XG16, and XG3600 are more readily available

Wonder if there would be any harm in running a filter that has a bypass valve in it, Since the XG8A,XG16, and XG3600 are more readily available

Does your engine have the filter bypass built into the block or filter mount? If so, a filter with a bypass valve could be used as long as the filter's bypass valve was set higher than the built in bypass valve.

Does your engine have the filter bypass built into the block or filter mount? If so, a filter with a bypass valve could be used as long as the filter's bypass valve was set higher than the built in bypass valve.
I assume it's for the 1995 Pathfinder in his signature, it should have a bypass but I can't find anything about what pressure the internal bypass is.

To answer all above, yes it does have a bypass on the block/filter mount. I have used the XG2870A filter that my VW takes on it a once but the space is too tight for an xg8a. The filter is on the passenger side, under the manifold and above the starter.

I'll see if the service manual has any info on the bypass. Apologies for the thread jack.

Last edited:
To answer all above, yes it does have a bypass on the block/filter mount. I have used the XG2870A filter that my VW takes on it a once but the space is too tight for an xg8a. The filter is on the passenger side, under the manifold and above the starter.

I'll see if the service manual has any info on the bypass. Apologies for the thread jack.
The version for the Quest and Villager use a upright mount as an concession to Ford - and it can fit a 3600/FL-1A no problem. If that mount works on a Pathfinder/Hardbody that can open the door for filters.

The version for the Quest and Villager use a upright mount as an concession to Ford - and it can fit a 3600/FL-1A no problem. If that mount works on a Pathfinder/Hardbody that can open the door for filters.
The XG2870A is probably a better choice than the 3600 because it's the same size as the 3600 but has a 22psi bypass valve vs 12psi valve on the 3600.

Don’t use a filter just because it screws on. Use the proper spec filter. There are other brands out there besides a Fram if you insist on a “premium“ filter. Or just use the ToughGuard. It really doesn’t matter. I know I know ghasts!! Oversized filters should be avoided IMO. I believe fitting an oversized filter actually lowers filtering efficiency.

Don’t use a filter just because it screws on. Use the proper spec filter. There are other brands out there besides a Fram if you insist on a “premium“ filter. Or just use the ToughGuard. It really doesn’t matter. I know I know ghasts!! Oversized filters should be avoided IMO. I believe fitting an oversized filter actually lowers filtering efficiency.
Using an oversized filter should increase the filtering efficiency because the flow rate of the pump will remain the same but there will be more surface area meaning the flowrate will be spread out across more media which should result in a lower pressure drop and trap more particles as the fluid is moving through the media at less force, I think oversize filters have a possible benefit in cold climates as there should be less pressure drop over the media compared to a smaller filter which should decrease the amount of time the the bypass is open as the oil warms up so with a larger oil filter the oil can be colder and still be able to flow across the media without causing as high of a pressure drop compared to the smaller filter.

Back