VOA Ravenol ECS 0W-20

Forget about Amazon and EBay. All RAVENOL oils sold in the states are imported by Blauparts. They are the official RAVENOL distributor.

If you register an account and agree for promo emails, they send out coupon codes for oils and fluids. Every counple weeks there is a code for 10-20% off. Free shipping @ $99 as well. This is the cheapest way to get RAVENOL stuff.

Originally Posted By: CleverUserName
Forget about Amazon and EBay. All RAVENOL oils sold in the states are imported by Blauparts. They are the official RAVENOL distributor.

If you register an account and agree for promo emails, they send out coupon codes for oils and fluids. Every counple weeks there is a code for 10-20% off. Free shipping @ $99 as well. This is the cheapest way to get RAVENOL stuff.

Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted By: 2015Corolla
What's the difference between ECS and DFE formulas?

The actual difference? No idea. On paper DFE has slightly better specs and they carry different certifications/manufacture approvals with the DFE meeting the tougher certs/approvals.

I just came across the DFE and reached out to Ravenol to inquire if we could get it here. Ravenol America is telling me now that they have no definitive plans to bring DFE 0w20 to the US. They said the smallest bulk order they might be able to order is 4 cases of 80L! (And that was if his team would let him.)The DFE has DEXOS1 Gen2 approval (so they've already paid GM for the license,) and in the US you have the entire North American market full of GM trucks that say the only oil viscosity that you can use is 0w20. The DFE is a full synthetic PAO with a NOACK of 7.6, a -63ºC pour point, and a 238ºC flash point. TBN is about 9.0. I almost get the impression that they are unsure if they will be able to sell the DFE in this market?!
crazy.gif

I don't know why they even carry the ECS because all the approvals that it has are MB-Freigabe 229.71 and Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.51.5122. Main difference between ECS and DFE is that the ECS has a higher sulfated ash of 1%; DFE has 0.8% which is on par with most other low SAPS oils. I like the low NOACK but don't want the higher ash % for my DI engine with VVT.

If and until DFE becomes available at a reasonable cost, I'll stick with M1 EP or will maybe consider the Amsoil Signature Series given the numbers the ECS is going for.

Last edited:
AirBull, agreed it doesn't make sense to import Volvo-specific & Jaguar-specific oil (smaller market) when an SN GF-5 dexos1 0w-20 would cover all Asian & American Xw20 engines, a bigger market by far.

Ravenol looks great on paper. Among the class of "premium elite" oils, I consider it competitive with Eneos Racing Street oils, M1 EP or AP, Amsoil SS, & Redline, all having some nice combination of big slugs of PAO, POE, moly, great flow when cold, high temperature resistance.

So time to change the oil on the Pilot and since DFE looks to be not available....I have some 0W-20 Mobil 1 EP I'll use. I'm going to save the ECS for the Mazda5. It is a strange decision to release ECS but not DFE here...who knows....

The PDS for this oil has been updated as of March 2020.

Noack is listed as 7.4%
SA is down to .79.

RAVENOL Eco Synth ECS SAE 0W-20 offers:

Guaranteed fastest possible lubrication of the engine.
High fuel economy (FE) effect due to the base oils and additives used. Low volatilization tendency, thereby lower oil consumption.
Provides protection against sludging, coking, varnish and corrosion even under unfavorable operating conditions.
No oil-related deposits in combustion chambers in the piston ring zone and on valves.
Ensures the function of the hydraulic tappets at all temperatures.
Stable engine oil, no NOx oxidation.
Good aging behavior, confirmed by the Hot Tube Test.
Good soot absorption and dispersion.
Neutral towards sealing materials

Originally Posted by wemay
Approvals? That's an excellent Noack!

This one is GF-5 and dexos 1 gen 1.

The 0w20 DFE has a Noack of 7.6% and is SP.

Of the (3) Ravenol 0w20's, the ECS and DFE are the best.

Originally Posted by buster

Nice info, thanks buster.

Sorry, what is SP?

If I ran this oil in my Pentastar, which would be better suited for it, ECS or DFE, and why?

Looks like they both carry FCA MS-6395, for what that's worth. With my limited knowledge, I'd think ECS would be the best match?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IndyFan

Sorry, what is SP?

If I ran this oil in my Pentastar, which would be better suited for it, ECS or DFE, and why?

Looks like they both carry FCA MS-6395, for what that's worth. With my limited knowledge, I'd think ECS would be the best match?

Sorry, API SP, the new spec. Both are really good. I'm not exactly sure which is better. That's a good question.

Back