Unusually good meat quality lately?

Krogier has had their usual advertised loss-leader specials in the midst of the current crisis.
Couple of weeks ago they had pork dry butts for .99/lb so I found and bought a little five pounder and it was really delicious cooked slowly in the oven and left plenty of leftovers for stir fries and fried rice.
This week, Kroger has chuck BOGO, so around $3.50/lb net.
This is easily the best chuck we've ever had. I prepared the first bit using an IKEA Grilla and my wife was amazed how tender the meat was. Chuck is always flavorful but usually a little chewy if prepared as a broiled steak but this meat was really tender and delicious.
Seems to me that meat quality has actually improved in recent weeks.
Also, the claim that grocery prices have risen substantially recently has not been our experience at all for anything we normally buy and eat.

I started getting meat from a different store (Market Basket) because they're able to not suck. And it's better, cheaper, and the store cuts it into actual family sizes instead of "too big" or "too small."

I've noticed some slapdash packaging at other stores, but understand the circumstances.

Quicker time from farm to market perhaps? Things not sitting around in a warehouse and instead going straight to stores?

Just a thought, no basis in any particular knowledge I have.

Some restaurant supply is being diverted to retail. My local butcher told me a couple weeks ago that Sysco was offering some ridiculously cheap pricing for this reason. That's not to say Sysco does or doesn't have the best available product, but it's an example.

You all might wanna look up meat and poultry additives the industry doesn't tell you about the drugs they use

[Linked Image]

I made a tri-tip on Sunday for Mother's Day. I did cook it sous vide and finished off with my propane asphalt torch, but it was really good. I think it was a Choice or Select from the grocery store and it was just as good as Prime.

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4465.jpg

Grocery store meats are always hit and miss. I've had some fantastic steaks one week and the next are duds. This week I only bought ground beef and the price was crazy,

To bdcardinal - I made an awesome grilled tri-tip about a month ago. I'm still learning, but it can be a great cut to cook and isn't really expensive. Nice job!

We wait until the prime rib, whole in bag are on sale near the holidays. We will go out and buy a few hundred dollars worth and cut a couple roasts from the small end and steaks out of the rest. Into the freezer they go. USDA choice with the visible ink on the whole in bag roast. Kind of gulp when one slab of meat is $150-$200 and we buy two.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Quicker time from farm to market perhaps? Things not sitting around in a warehouse and instead going straight to stores?

Just a thought, no basis in any particular knowledge I have.

Beef is aged in a cooler or it will not be enjoyable. It hangs around for a couple weeks to skin over and then trucked to stores.

Last edited:
I stopped reading about it but supposedly alot of meat in the states was coming from Africa or other countries.

Locally Kroger is stocked well with meat.

Sams Club had no meat.

Aldi has almost no meat.

Piggly Wiggly stocked well.

Walmart- I dont buy meat from them.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I stopped reading about it but supposedly alot of meat in the states was coming from Africa or other countries.

Locally Kroger is stocked well with meat.

Sams Club had no meat.

Aldi has almost no meat.

Piggly Wiggly stocked well.

Walmart- I dont buy meat from them.

Good assessment,

It seems like it's all pork and chicken at the stores, I'm tired of porkbutt
so I started buying the $1.20/lb ground turkey and $2/lb ground pork, been dabbling with store brand Italian sausage as well .

Lots of possibilities, I keep bacon around to flavorize the turkey .

Originally Posted by sloinker
[Linked Image]

Oh yeah, you need some fava beans and a nice chianti to go with that.

Back