sna - SNAKE!

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Sunday morning we went for a bike ride on a nice trail in the pines and came across the first snake, already dead, that happened to be an Arizona Black Rattlesnake. Somewhat rare apparently and a shame it was killed as it was way out away from any population. We came home and took the dogs for a walk on the outer edge of our development where we can let the dogs off leash and came across the Diamondback coiled up against the back property wall. This was a block from our house and lucky the dogs walked by it. My older dog has had snake avoidance training but the young one hasn't. These walls have drainage blocks that a snake can go through so I stopped by the house and let the owner know about it, they have small kids. I mentioned to him lots of people put screens over the drainage block. I hate to kill snakes but because of where it was I looked around but there wasn't a stick or decent rock anywhere.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Kira
Poor snakes. They get a bad rap.

Ya they do. Uneducated people kill them. Even good ones. I leave rattlers alone unless I find one in my sleeping bag with me.

Sadly most folks first instinct is to kill any snake, not realizing all the good they do! I pick them up (Carefully) and relocate at every chance.

I admit, I'm also afraid of snakes, neither is my GF

On a trip to Arizona a few years back, my GF and I came across a fellow with a snake exhibit on the main street of a town I've since forgotten the name of.
I dared my GF that I'd pick one up and hold it. Sure enough I did and it was perfectly fine. I then dared her to do the same, and she did.

After decades of ophiophobia, she was finally cured.
Several months later she still recalls how horrified she was when she picked up the snake for the first time, but how much better she feels about them now.

When she told her mother about it (also not a fan of snakes), her first response was:
"what are you, crazy or stupid?"
lol.gif

Copperheads on my property die. I let the Kings and black snakes live. A yellow striped king lives under my back deck and now I haven't seen a copperhead in two years.

Yeah … I don't go out of my way to harm them … but recently I almost stepped on good sized cottonmouth in a small area my wife's Yorkies spend time (5 pound dogs) … well, it had other choices for places to be. (Plenty undeveloped land) …
I then spent time sealing up the privacy fence so we don't cross paths again.

Well you handle snakes in your own way its your choice my youngest mother of two of my Grandkids used to kill 30 poisonous snakes in their yard a year.

When I lived in Northern California we initially killed up to half a dozen snakes in and around our yard every year.That number tapered off to 1 or 2 after about 5 years. We lived out in the country East of Redding. Must have built the house near a den. Never bothered them away from the house, I would go my way, they could go theirs. Now here in Wyoming there are plenty of Prairie rattlesnakes around. Never had one in the yard but the neighbors had a dog bitten and killed some years back. At the power plant where I work it seems we get a couple every year that make it into the administration offices. They seem to know where the real snakes are.

Originally Posted by sloinker
When I lived in Northern California we initially killed up to half a dozen snakes in and around our yard every year.That number tapered off to 1 or 2 after about 5 years. We lived out in the country East of Redding. Must have built the house near a den. Never bothered them away from the house, I would go my way, they could go theirs. Now here in Wyoming there are plenty of Prairie rattlesnakes around. Never had one in the yard but the neighbors had a dog bitten and killed some years back. At the power plant where I work it seems we get a couple every year that make it into the administration offices. They seem to know where the real snakes are.

I used to live in Palo Cedro ! I would kill every rattler I saw. I even killed one in San Mateo California by the Pulgas Water Temple.

We have Black Racers, Corn Snakes, Ringnecks, Florida Kings and the occasional Pygmy Rattler in our area. If it's a venomous snake, my friends usually call me to remove an relocate. All the other's are let be.

We have two types of venomous snakes in NJ. The northern copperhead and the timber rattlesnake. It is against the law to kill either one of them. NJ EPA has, believe it or not, a venomous snake response team. Are all states this screwy?

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
We have two types of venomous snakes in NJ. The northern copperhead and the timber rattlesnake. It is against the law to kill either one of them. NJ EPA has, believe it or not, a venomous snake response team. Are all states this screwy?

Negative. Hate it for you.

Danger noodle!! One of my friends was working on his truck in his garage and looked over and a snake went across his garage floor. It was on the other side of his left so he left it alone.

Originally Posted by PumpPusher
All snakes die. Don't have time to sort them out.

Amen

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by sloinker

I used to live in Palo Cedro ! I would kill every rattler I saw. I even killed one in San Mateo California by the Pulgas Water Temple.

About 5 miles West of Shingletown. Moved away in 1978. My folks owned a cabin in the Santa Cruz mountains not too very far from San Mateo when I was real young. They sold it in the late 1960's. I wish they kept it.........

Here's another Arizona snake I found in the middle of the southwestern part of the state. I left him be, as there isn't really civilization in at least 50 miles.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Sunday morning we went for a bike ride on a nice trail in the pines and came across the first snake, already dead, that happened to be an Arizona Black Rattlesnake. Somewhat rare apparently and a shame it was killed as it was way out away from any population. We came home and took the dogs for a walk on the outer edge of our development where we can let the dogs off leash and came across the Diamondback coiled up against the back property wall. This was a block from our house and lucky the dogs walked by it. My older dog has had snake avoidance training but the young one hasn't. These walls have drainage blocks that a snake can go through so I stopped by the house and let the owner know about it, they have small kids. I mentioned to him lots of people put screens over the drainage block. I hate to kill snakes but because of where it was I looked around but there wasn't a stick or decent rock anywhere.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The rattlesnake in the 2nd pic is beautiful!

Back