Parasite...the film. Which foreign country is most like the states?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched it on HULU last night. It was very good. I am always disarmed about the cultural differences between America and the rest of the world. As an American I make many assumptions about foreign cultures and think they are more American than they actually are. I'm disqualifying Canada up front. Which other country around the world most mimics the USA? I vote Australia but have only the media /arts and some personal contact with her citizen's for this impression.

If you mean which country tries to act like America then the answer is the UK. They don't miss a chance to make fun of us as uneducated brutes but secretly mimic what they see coming out of the Hollywood machine.

English speaking countries in the Five Eyes have very similar cultures and values. And similar histories as well since they are based on English conquest and colonization.

Having traveled most of western Europe and many parts of industrial Russia, it is incredibly interesting to realize what I take for granted in my day-to-day mindset.
Lots of people just think differently than I do and they do just fine. What makes it interesting is that they think and act differently in the mundane daily things they do.

It's sobering to experience others' perspectives and to observe that they get on quite well based on their own experiences.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

The more cosmopolitain parts of Scandinavia are "pretty American".

Parasite: Besides the tepee did anybody notice the Weber grill?

Good story. The flood scene on their street and in their apartment was outstanding.

The party scene, before the family returned unexpectedly, was way too long. It dragged.

With the division and travel prohibitions, I bet there's available poetic meaning to Koreans signaling into the night with only the faintest hope of being seen.

The ending of this film needs to be compared to that of The Departed.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
If you mean which country tries to act like America then the answer is the UK. They don't miss a chance to make fun of us as uneducated brutes but secretly mimic what they see coming out of the Hollywood machine.

Having dealt with many UK people on various history sites, I think that's a tad overstated...

main-qimg-b619f13b0bfb9571c6010520471f8325.jpg

Originally Posted by wemay
I don't think any country tries to be like the US. That probably ended in the 80s.

Agreed.

While each country has its problems, I don't think too many countries wish to replicate the US these days.

Someone asked my opinion on what I discerned as differences in American versus Korean culture as depicted in the film. I think the biggest difference is the deference to wealth and a class consciousness that goes with it. Also the hierarchy of the family and how it is valued. The rich sons value seems to be higher than his sisters or mothers in this case, the deference. Lot's of little things. Very enjoyable movie and something that I haven't seen before. Wasn't looking to make a political argument out of it. Just got me to thinking where in the world would I feel the least alien and most at home if uprooted.

I really enjoyed the movie Parasite, very well acted and extremely well written.

Now to the OP's question:

I've done some international travel, and have spent lots of time in USA visiting close relatives since I was 7 years old. I can say that there is no country that is like USA.

USA is unique, and that is perhaps both good and bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
Someone asked my opinion on what I discerned as differences in American versus Korean culture as depicted in the film. I think the biggest difference is the deference to wealth and a class consciousness that goes with it..

Well, so far I have spent time in a number of places mentioned … but will share a car/culture moment from the two years I lived in Korea. We had a very smart/pleasant admin who in a matter of months we promoted to a planner role with a nice raise. The American moment came when she excitingly announced she would get a new car with the extra money. So we asked what kind? She looked surprised and said a Korean car of course … a Kia.
So I pointed at one of the Yanks … said should he buy a Kia in Houston. She said no, he is American and should buy an American car.
It's visible Korean brand loyalty there … cars, appliances, you name it.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
I really enjoyed the movie Parasite, very well acted and extremely well written.

Now to the OP's question:

I've done some international travel, and have spent lots of time in USA visiting close relatives since I was 7 years old. I can say that there is no country that is like USA.

USA is unique, and that is perhaps both good and bad.

This^.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by sloinker
Someone asked my opinion on what I discerned as differences in American versus Korean culture as depicted in the film. I think the biggest difference is the deference to wealth and a class consciousness that goes with it..

Well, so far I have spent time in a number of places mentioned … but will share a car/culture moment from the two years I lived in Korea. We had a very smart/pleasant admin who in a matter of months we promoted to a planner role with a nice raise. The American moment came when she excitingly announced she would get a new car with the extra money. So we asked what kind? She looked surprised and said a Korean car of course … a Kia.
So I pointed at one of the Yanks … said should he buy a Kia in Houston. She said no, he is American and should buy an American car.
It's visible Korean brand loyalty there … cars, appliances, you name it.

Kind of hard to not be brand loyal when LG, Samsung, and Hyundai pretty much are the national companies who also have business in every area you can imagine. When I was younger, we would visit relatives in Korea and take stuff from the US that they had a hard time buying then.. weird things like freeze dried Nescafe and Levi jeans. My first Nintendo was donated to my cousins in Korea who couldn't afford to buy one locally.

I'm sure it's different now due to the internet, but I'd say it's just expected that a lot of South Koreans are very loyal to their national brands since it really boosts their economic presence.

I B T L ... based on the direction this one is heading in some posts.

When I was in Eastern Europe, the like aged "kids" there at the time assumed since we were American, we loved shopping. Restaurants and radio stations played "American/ English" music and commercials all the time even though many didn't speak it which I found interesting.

I would have to agree with the above though that the UK is the most like the US. Or we are more like them? No idea. The royal family is a joke to me, but aside from that, I'm betting they're pretty identical to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back