2019 BMW 530i - B46 Engine - Formula M 5W40

Hello,

I've been reading about this quite a bit but I really can't really decide what oil to use for the new car. I got the car used so it doesn't have the free maintenance plan. On my 2013 F150 3.5L Ecoboost, 2011 528i - I use Mobile1 Formula-M 5W40, even though they should use 5W30, no issues - since I'm live in Houston TX - 90% of the time is hot
smile.gif

But now the B46 engine needs 0W20 or 0W30 and I have only 17400 miles.

Based on the standard it seems that "MB-229.5" standard is more strict than "BMW Longlife-01 FE", "BMW Longlife-14 FE+".

What's your take? Anybody else using Formula M in B46 engine?

Thank you,

229.5 is based on A3/B4 which has a higher min HTHS of 3.5 where as LL01FE which is based on A5/B5 which has a HTHS of (3.0 min to under 3.5). You'll gain worse FE on the thicker oil with no measurable reduction in protection for around town driving. Remember BWM specs LL01FE for the current M3/M4.

The B46 is not particularly choosy. Per BMWTIS you can run

LL01 (Based on ACEA A3/B4 as is MB 229.5)
LL01 FE (A5/B5)
LL04 (Not officially in US due to sulfur levels. ACEA C3)
LL12 FE (Not officially in US due to sulfur levels).
LL14 FE+
LL17 FE+

BMW transitioned their US fleet to "FE" oils around 2013 but the engines are designed to run on a variety of grades so don't worry too much about it.

The Formula M 5w40 as you know is marketed as a Mercedes Benz specific fill but who knows if the oil isn't the same Mobil Oil 5w40 with LL01. Just keep in mind that you're still within the factory warranty period.

Last edited:
I think it's the best oil on the market but it is expensive. It doesn't list any other specs on the label because it was made for MB but if you look at the Lubrizol charts, it covers all the bases.

Originally Posted by loneryder
I think it's the best oil on the market but it is expensive.

It's cheaper than the BMW oil
smile.gif

I've only heard of one engine fail during warranty period, it was for using the wrong viscosity oil. Although it was a Duramax.

FCPeuro has Liquimoly and BMW oil Change kits. They offer free lifetime replacement, when your OCI come due send it back and they replace it. I haven't used the free replacement but they have good customer service. They come well recommend on Bimmerpost.

Originally Posted by GeniePro
Hello,

I've been reading about this quite a bit but I really can't really decide what oil to use for the new car. I got the car used so it doesn't have the free maintenance plan. On my 2013 F150 3.5L Ecoboost, 2011 528i - I use Mobile1 Formula-M 5W40, even though they should use 5W30, no issues - since I'm live in Houston TX - 90% of the time is hot
smile.gif

But now the B46 engine needs 0W20 or 0W30 and I have only 17400 miles.

Based on the standard it seems that "MB-229.5" standard is more strict than "BMW Longlife-01 FE", "BMW Longlife-14 FE+".

What's your take? Anybody else using Formula M in B46 engine?

Thank you,

These oils:
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 (on sale usually at AAP for $33 5qt)
Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40 (Wal Mart: $6.79 for 1qt).
Castrol Edge 5W40 (Wal Mart: $22-28 for 5qt)

Online:
Motul X-Cess 5W40
Pentosin 5W40
Pentosin Super Pento 5W30
etc, etc, etc.
Personally, I would use BMW LL01 oils, not FE oils. That engine can use pretty much anything LL.
Also, BMW updated LL01 specification in 2018 and it is very similar to MB229.5. Just get oils that have both approvals.

Back