Wood Fence Protection

Hello,

So I just installed a new wood fence around my house, what should I put on it to ensure it lasts? I live in the desert, so I assume UV protection is needed... Thompsons? A stain? Boiled linseed oil?
Thanks.

No transparent coating like Thompson, they provide no UV protection.
It is only a waterproofing but it does not last.

Find something with tint and the darker the better.
The best one out there is TWP and it is expensive.
Another brand is ReadySeal probably a lot more available but it does not last as long as TWP in my experience.

I get 20 years from my fences with Thompson's … after using the advanced formula … I used some old boards to trim a gate about 5 years ago. Looks like the day I put it up.

Half the so called stains just wind up looking like a painted fence … just not a look I like …

Eventually I will add a cap to my 5 year old fence since the top edge takes a beating … this week I'm going to just coat that edge and see how that goes.

I have always used Wolman F&P. It has kept two cedar fences sound for ~20 years in spots that get direct sun and are irrigated daily during the nice weather. It is a preservative and UV protective product. it does darken significantly over time though, which makes new rails or posts stand out for a few years (had a limb take out a few). One caveat; I stated using it 25+ years ago when it was (I think) an independent company and only available at local hardware stores and now it is a Rustoleum brand available at the big boxes, so I would hope it is of the same quality but.....

Originally Posted by biggusblockus
TWP is my go-to for my boat dock. works great and lasts longer

Yes TWP Total Wood Protection outlasted everything in real world tests. Google it to see the testing. Price is not bad either.

I've heard good things about both Penofin and TWP.
Does anyone have experience with both and can recommend one over the other?

Also, i read an article that explained anything you find in big box store (Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart) is lesser quality. In order to meet price targets they sell vastly inferior products which makes sense.
So consider what you can find in specialty store or online.

Back