1982 Honda 185S 3 wheeler

For a friend of mine, needed some work so we made a deal that if I fixed it I could use it whenever I want and I've been using it alot, runs great after a new carb and intake boot. I've been using 10W40 wet clutch oil, which I think is Honda spec, I don't run it hard, mostly on trails, but I do like to open it up in 5th gear every now and then. Should I step it up to a 20W50 wet clutch oil, or would it be too thick? I'm thinking Valvoline Motorcycle 20W50....and should I stay conventional or go with synthetic? Was thinking Mobil 1 4T 10W40 or Mobil 1 V Twin 20W50 if I go with synthetic.

If you don't run it hard the 10W-40 would be fine . The 20w-50 wouldn't hurt at all .

Seems to me 3 wheel ATVs had a problem on rough trails. If you were tipping to either side, you would automatically put your foot down to regain your balance, and the back wheel would run over your foot and drag you off.

I'd be really careful on rough trails. There's a reason you don't see them around much any more.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
Seems to me 3 wheel ATVs had a problem on rough trails. If you were tipping to either side, you would automatically put your foot down to regain your balance, and the back wheel would run over your foot and drag you off.

I'd be really careful on rough trails. There's a reason you don't see them around much any more.

You won't find this on any "rough trails" because the only suspension on it is the tires.

Originally Posted by ecotourist

That is dirt bike guys thar have never riden one. You need lots of body english to ride one properly. I used to race them lol

Last edited:
IIRC, back then Honda spec'd their 10w30 and 10w40 in almost everything. I'd run a Xw40 and forget about it.
Those things will run for years on end with anything you put in them.

Seeing as how your down South, I'd run Rotella (or your favorite flavor of) 15w40 and enjoy the heck out of it.

Last edited:
i remember when the 185 came out.
yes practially anything today is better whan when that was new.

i remember the very 1st 3wheeler i saw...my friend got an Honda ATC 90. that was the 1st model made.
then the 70, then 185 and finally the 250r

my brother had the yamaha tri-moto 125 and then the 225dx

and you should know, a 3 wheeler is illegal anywhere except private land.

have a couple ES200 '84 200 Big Red shaft drives, I'll run any W40 usually a 15W40...just dug them out for the season here, although seldom used I keep them on.

[Linked Image]

2010 most recent pic I took of the 200ES twins.

Yeah … had a boss crack ribs on one of those … Y'all be careful now …

what I understand is that these old 3 wheeler's are actually more capable than my Rincon, Rubicon or Foreman's..however you must accept a slower pace and even get off and walk them in certain situations, learn to use a rope and capability becomes amazing, far beyond the ATV or SXS golf carts that have become so popular.

we ford deep rivers and get into impossible situations like many, conquering adversity in the wilderness is a big part of the recreation, with tolerance, ATC's can tag along with a well equipped ATV.

Originally Posted by sunruh

and you should know, a 3 wheeler is illegal anywhere except private land.

This is incorrect. They are illegal to make and sell new. You can still use them as you would any atv.
I used to own a couple and had one of them legally registered with liability insurance.
This was in the nanny state of New York even!
I still see some on the atv trails when I ride.

you might want to note part 1307 ... the outright ban
effective 180day after aug 10 2006

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...-all-terrain-vehicles-notice-of-proposed

You missed the "proposed" wording that is in that document several times.
This was a proposal, and to my knowledge, much of what is in this was never made into law. I had a 3 wheeler registered in 2007,

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dblshock
[Linked Image]

2010 most recent pic I took of the 200ES twins.

Nice set of Big Reds you have there.

Originally Posted by cronk
you might want to note part 1307 ... the outright ban
effective 180day after aug 10 2006

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...-all-terrain-vehicles-notice-of-proposed

You missed the "proposed" wording that is in that document several times.
This was a proposal, and to my knowledge, much of what is in this was never made into law. I had a 3 wheeler registered in 2007,

and you missed the part where it says becomes law 180 days after

proposed
180days pass
law

and you missed the part where it says becomes law 180 days after

proposed
180days pass
law

None of which has anything to do with an oil recommendation for the OP.

Sorry, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Back