93 Octane for Turbo’s

With the lower cost of fuel nowadays

Anybody feeding their Turbos High Octane fuel ?

At $1.55 for 93 octane
My turbo 2.0L Ford engine is eating well on 93 !!
...³ðŸ¤”🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
I always feed my forced induction vehicles 93.
wink.gif

Subaru recommends 91 or over for my FXT, so I almost always run 93 as that is the most common octane level for premium around here.
It's nice that the price is down, but I'm not burning too much gas these days...I'd go back to high gas prices with no pandemic conditions in a split second as opposed to the situation now.

Originally Posted by tenderloin
My daughters ecoBoost Escape runs better on 91 here in California. I recall the manual says use 93 when towing?

Originally Posted by MParr
Me! I honestly think 93 octane is the way to go in today's engines with turbos and high compression ratios.

I totally agree sir !!!
Even with higher prices someday soon
I'll keep buying 93

93 just seems to run so much better !

Last edited:
The only 93 octane seen with some repeatability around here is BP, and not all have it. And to be blunt, between the price and the fact that monitoring what my ecoboost truck perceives as the octane has shown that 93 octane in the flavor found here is not worth the money. Two brands of 91 octane routinely deliver the same performance (Shell and Speedway).

And before anyone comments on it, yes, we do have several distinct sources of fuel available in this market, so there can be differentiation between brands most of the time.

My wife's Optima typically gets 87. We've never experienced knock or other issues so we go with it.

My '19 Escape gets the cheapest gas at the station as my company pays for it. 99.99% of the time it's 87.

87 hasn't been a problem for our Santa Fe Sport 2.0T or Passat TSi. But I mix it up often by using 89 or, once getting to half a tank on 87, refill with 93.

Yes. The EB in the Edge has only been fed 93 and occasionally splashed with some 88 E15 when it was much cheaper. It's hardly driven any more, so the cost is minimal.

Originally Posted by rrretiree7
I have owned two Audi Turbos and I only used 87 Octane. No knock and they were Fast !!

Same here!

Tried some higher octane in the VW .

SOMETIMES it helped a bit with low and midrange torque under load+boost during break-in.

But once the Jetta got 5K miles on it - it does fine with 87.

And I want maxium torque and power.

You just have to get a GOOD and fresh 87
smile.gif
Doesnt always happen - and there are batch variations.

These VW small bore,super long stroke 4 bangers with DI seem to not care about octane.
Infact it seems to run BETTER on regular 87 E10.

That is completely fine by me!

Last edited:
No premium used here.

My truck runs great on Shell 87 and I see no need to spend 60 or 70 cents more per gallon for no reason.

It really depends on the particular setup. But with a knock sensor it's likely that it won't create problems. There are an increasing larger proportion of engines that can use 93 AKI fuel. Even that regular WRX these days comes with a recommendation to use 93. But there are probably a lot of the economy vehicles with turbos that are designed for maximum performance/economy with 87.

I mix 93 E-free with 93E, but I didn't notice much dif in 91E & 93E. Today is my half tank top off at Valero with higher grade offered at lower grade price. I'll try 91E at regular price. That lower cost would offset 93 E-free that is currently $2.52.

If me bum dyno detects a dip in performance I can always top off 93E-free a mite early.

Back