Toyota 1MZ-FE, original timing belt at 292k

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
2003 Highlander 1MZ-FE VVT-i, 292,511 mi, all factory timing components. I was surprised to see how good the belt looked. A testament to quality parts, I take back anything negative I've ever said about Toyota.
[Linked Image]

The water pump did not have long left, it was not making noise but turned quite rough by hand, bearings were shot. It had a couple months, tops. Glad I finally convinced the owner to do the job. We replaced the belt, water pump, tensioner and pulleys with OEM parts. Also did spark plugs (NGK Iridiums), PCV valve, ATF change (MaxLife), PS flush and obviously new coolant (Pentosin A1).

We've been maintaining this car for years but it's impossible to get the owner to come in on time. It had 13,500 miles, 7 months on the last oil change I did (HK conventional), dipstick was dry. I filled it with M1 HM 5W-30 this time, rear main seal was dripping but the engine was dry otherwise. Maybe the M1 will slow the leak down, if it gets worse it'll make no difference as I'd have ended up resealing the engine anyways. I've had good luck with M1 HM before so we'll see.

18229FF7-20E9-42B9-B9D1-2A9E76060349.jpeg

Last edited:
And here I felt bad letting my Accord go 128,000 on its timing belt, although much like that Toyota, it came out looking like it could go another 100k.

Sounds like it gets a lot of driving, so it's probably hit the magical spot for longevity. Few cold starts, few temp cycles. Lots of rotations on the bearings but maybe it all just got the right amount of usage over time so as to maximize life.

Not bad. Not for me but it sounds like the owner has it figured out to a T. Risky business but maybe they also don't care--when it breaks, they figured they have their monies worth already, so why bother worrying about it? Run it till she blows. Not my style in cars but I certainly have done that for push mowers...

Reactions: JC1
I may well be wrong here...

Is this a non interference motor??

Well looked it up.. it is a interference motor...

Yeah... Not good to wait on that timing belt...

I'm glad it didn't break on ya.

Last edited:
Toyota/Lexus OE timing belts & parts in most of their vehicles(I say most 'cause IDK every single one), are frikken awesome. I've seen'em w/250k that looked almost new.

Last edited:
Quality parts for sure.

When I changed the belt on my Toyota V8 after 18 years and 90,000 miles, the belt was fine, not worn, no cracks, but the tensioner had seized up.. The belt was still fairly tight, but probably would have loosened up over time.

Originally Posted by BlakeB
Did you also use Maxlife for the PS fluid?

Nope, used bulk AAP/CarQuest Dex/Merc ATF

Originally Posted by diyjake
I am surprised you decided to a do a timing belt job on a car that with that many miles and a customer that lets their dipstick run dry, sounds like that motor might not have much life left.

It runs great and the car is in decent shape otherwise, I figured it was worth it. This owner has had the car since 40k and their maintenance practices haven't changed a bit. I'm trying to get them to do more regular maintenance. It did have some oil in it, probably just under 4 quarts. If I could change it at 5k-7500 it wouldn't ever get low.

Originally Posted by supton
Not for me but it sounds like the owner has it figured out to a T. Risky business but maybe they also don't care--when it breaks, they figured they have their monies worth already, so why bother worrying about it? Run it till she blows.

This is a tough one to figure out. The owner pays to have anything fixed when it breaks, but does no preventative maintenance whatsoever. I can't explain it. It would be far cheaper in the long run to do regular fluid and filter changes and other maintenance items.

Toyota makes the best cars
happy2.gif

Working on the 1MZ is scary and difficult, which is why people put it off. I hope you replaced the valve cover gaskets too
smile.gif

My co-worker changed his at just shy of 300k Kms. on his 1995 Camry but I chickened out and replaced mine several years ago at 185k Kms on my 2003 Highlander. I only replaced the timing belt and serpentine belts. Sold it last year with original timing components and water pump. This one trumps my story getawheel!

Last edited:
The owner must have been ignorance or cheap. This is an interference engine. One snap it is game over. Looks like he got lucky.

Originally Posted by painfx
The owner must have been ignorance or cheap. This is an interference engine. One snap it is game over. Looks like he got lucky.

No it is not an interference engine. I have changed timing belts on numerous 1MZ-FE engines and you can rotate the crankshaft with the cams in any position.

Originally Posted by LotI
Even a non-interference motor can break things when the belt goes. The valves may be ok but the belt goes somewhere.

Usually not a issue...

My father in law had one break on a 2.2 L Toyota Camry motor... No problem... And I'd bet that is typically the deal.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by painfx

No it is not an interference engine. I have changed timing belts on numerous 1MZ-FE engines and you can rotate the crankshaft with the cams in any position.

Ahh the 1MZ VVT-i motors are interference motors...

The regular 1MZ-FE 3.0 L motors are non interference motors like you said... True...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
Ahh the 1MZ VVT-i motors are interference motors...

The regular 1MZ-FE 3.0 L motors are non interference motors like you said... True...

No it isn't, at least not at slow speeds. I've replaced timing belts on the later 1MZ-FE with VVT-i and it also is non-interference, you can rotate the cams and the crankshaft independently with no contact.

https://www.mr2oc.com/threads/1mz-fe-vvt-i-interference-or-non-interference.679398/

My old Honda F22B2 is definitely an interference engine since if you try and rotate the crankshaft with the cam in random positions the valves most certainly contact the piston.

If it is a Toyota non-interference motor, I would have no problem going 200-250kms or 10-15 years on the timing belt. However, it is generally a good idea to change out all the seals, bearings, water pump, and other such components when doing the timing belt just so you freshen everything up.

Back