Who comes up with dealer prices!?

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Sitting at the dealer waiting for my car to be finished with the transmission fluid change.

Decided to look at their site to see what's on the lot, cause I'm not walking around in that inferno outside, even if it did cool down to 100.

Who comes up with these prices!? I busted out laughing in the waiting room.
crackmeup2.gif

The Chevy has 103k miles and the Chrysler has 87k, so neither are "barn finds".

And this is a legit dealer, not a buy here pay here place. It's in the fancy part of town and it's a brand new dealer.

Anybody else seen wild dealer prices too?

242361DE-CC17-4F30-802F-A23E237211B0.png

a legit dealer can price cars higher because they offer people full service . things like warranty, financing and to may seem less shady than a corner lot dealer. some people even beleive the multi point inspection thing

LOL when I start dealing with a dealer the first thing they hear my say is all that markup they ad to MSRP is gone before we even start dealing or I just walk. I have a good car I don't really need you car. Sometimes we talk sometimes I walk. I'll never pay high book on a used car.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter who comes up with the prices, fact is the majority of people pay those prices so why shouldn't the dealers continue doing this ?

I have said it countless times through the years--car dealers are the last bastion of those who can set their own prices. If you go anywhere else, any other retail location will have the prices written plainly for all to see and it's the same price you pay at the register and not some jacked up price you have to work your way back down to in the hopes that you get somewhat of a deal.

Been that way since "forever" and until people get enough, I guess it will always be that way.

If you have no credit and need a car then they will serve you. Desperate people who cannot afford cars just care about payment/money down.

I guess they like to start high on the negotiation! The odd person will actually pay that price, and others will have to do a little negotiation to get a reasonable price. If you are serious about buying they probably will knock off many thousands to get some cash in the door. There were a few guys at work who went to the same dealer and basically got 25-30% off advertised price of cars like that just by asking. They certainly could afford a new car so the dealer really has no leverage but offering a fair price. I think a lower volume dealer gets those cars for ~2k and need to make maybe 1-2k so make your offer accordingly.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I have said it countless times through the years--car dealers are the last bastion of those who can set their own prices. If you go anywhere else, any other retail location will have the prices written plainly for all to see and it's the same price you pay at the register and not some jacked up price you have to work your way back down to in the hopes that you get somewhat of a deal.

Been that way since "forever" and until people get enough, I guess it will always be that way.

Well the same thing happens in real estate. It's awesome when it goes over asking price and there's no contingencies. Quick closing and a nice commission.

Incidentally, they just mark them up high so you can talk them down. I think I managed to get $1300 off my car from a used car dealer. At the time I was even willing to pay asking because it had everything I wanted.

It doesn't bother me; I go in knowing how much the dealer's car is worth and how much my car is worth. I always negotiate an OTD price so it doesn't matter to me how they break it out- all that matters to me is the check I write at the end.

Bottom line is that it is easier to start high and come down in price than it is to do the opposite.
Used is where the money is made in sales.
Those vehicles are typical BHPH fodder.
Dealer probably has 2K tops (if that) in both of them combined.
The last used vehicle that I bought was the truck in my signature almost 12 years ago.
Dealer wanted 9K and would not deal.
Two weeks later, they lowered price to $5600. I ended up buying at $5500.
They price at what they think the market will bear, and it usually doesn't.

These days there are no secrets over car values/worth. For new vehicles I strongly urge anyone to email all available dealers with what you want and what their out the door price is. Apples to apples comparison. I've done this for years now and usually have spreads of up to $10k on the same exact vehicle. Let the buyer beware. If you have bad or no credit and are used car shopping you are just a human sacrifice.

Those would have gone to auction immediately if auctions were open. They're just fishing for the one born every minute as they have no other place to push them.

These are businesses...maximizing profit is what they do. This is why I prefer to buy private party when I can, and if I do buy from a stealership I come armed and will only pull the trigger if it's a good deal.

I price used cars for the dealership. I use a very sophisticated program that can tell me the price for same vehicle, year and trim across the country if needed.
It adjusts for mileage and I set the price to sell within 30 - 40 days.
As the market moves, I move the price. Price rarely goes up due to inventory aging.
The margin to the dealer after purchase and safety is typically $1000 - $1500.
People that don't use the pricing program, are frankly spit balling it.

Back