Starting to see more made in USA

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by grampi

So what are you saying? We should allow businesses in our country to usurp laws and regulations so we can compete with China? I think we need to focus less on being a part of the world economy and focus more on being our own...

That horse left the barn 30 years ago.

No it has not....
You... You yourself just said you buy a vehicle that is what ??? Built near you....
Enough said. . .

I think you misunderstood my point.
Quality products that are in world wide demand can be made here, if companies decide to do so.
Tesla vehicles are a prime example; no car company has the growing world wide demand in an otherwise declining car market.
Tesla owners are rabid in their satisfaction of the cars.

But CEOs go offshore for the promise of lower manufacturing cost. This started in the late 1960's and has been on a tear ever since.
It would take a huge shift in American business goals to change this. Short term profitability would be crushed and America is all about short term profitability.
Long term plans are typically based on a rolling 4 quarter forecast. CEOs are held to shareholder gains.

There is cheap labor south of you and me. I'd send it there any day before China.

Originally Posted by 4WD
There is cheap labor south of you and me. I'd send it there any day before China.

The only thing is, we don't make that decision. That's the rub.
Until those decisions change and America decides to honor labor, what we see is what we get.

Write somebody … best time ever … you already know he's active in this, don't you

Originally Posted by 4WD

The only thing is, we don't make that decision. That's the rub.
Until those decisions change and America decides to honor labor, what we see is what we get.

That's how tariffs can be usefully applied. If done correctly.

Originally Posted by bbhero

So what are you saying? We should allow businesses in our country to usurp laws and regulations so we can compete with China? I think we need to focus less on being a part of the world economy and focus more on being our own...

That horse left the barn 30 years ago.

No it has not....
You... You yourself just said you buy a vehicle that is what ??? Built near you....
Enough said. . .

I think you misunderstood my point.
Quality products that are in world wide demand can be made here, if companies decide to do so.
Tesla vehicles are a prime example; no car company has the growing world wide demand in an otherwise declining car market.
Tesla owners are rabid in their satisfaction of the cars.

But CEOs go offshore for the promise of lower manufacturing cost. This started in the late 1960's and has been on a tear ever since.
It would take a huge shift in American business goals to change this. Short term profitability would be crushed and America is all about short term profitability.
Long term plans are typically based on a rolling 4 quarter forecast. CEOs are held to shareholder gains.

Ahhh you acted like it could and would not happen ever again. .. Which was your point it seemed....

I have stated on here numerous times the trend of sending things overseas started 50 years ago....

Under both leaderships this was allowed and encouraged. . Both...

Chinese products are produced based on corporate America's greed and never ending appetite for Wall Street to return more for the money lent to companies.
If there is a problem in Chinese products it squarely lies with us and no where else to point fingers.
That said the return of manufacturing to America is a must and folks in US need to understand they have to work for less for these jobs coming back else they will stay elsewhere.
Covid has exposed a serious supply chain nightmare that exposed many fault lines in a mad consumption and waste society we have created over the last 30 yrs.
Consumption w/o waste should be the new mantra and bet we are willing to pay more for no waste. A Chinese made toy would break in a week because we have gotten used to that, it must change and must change fast.

Covid is a way will reset corporate greed and Congress needs to punish corporate greed and wastefulness in moving jobs elsewhere just to reward WS for their stock returns. The American Capitalism model is broken and it will take another 30 years to reset supply chains.

Depends what you want to pay. And more manufacturing here is probably just going to mean more machines.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
We are a consumer driven market. People tout made in the USA for products yet they flock to the best deals they can get. You can buy a nice television for less than $1000. If the same television was made here it may cost $2300. I find the people that push support the USA worker tend to be the biggest offenders of cheaply made products. Personally I buy US made whenever I can and pay the fee. I sit on $1000 dollar office chairs made by Herman Miller. Yet you see the people that say they want US made products buying the sub $300 dollar chair.

The computer and the monitor you are looking at now is probably 80 percent foreign made parts. We have become the land of waste and throw away.

I wish i could upvote your post 1,000 times as this is 100% truth. The biggest rah rah America supporters are typically the ones piling their Wal-Mart carts with Chinese produced products to save a buck or two.

Originally Posted by ZZman
And more manufacturing here is probably just going to mean more machines.

That still means more jobs in the US to install and maintain those machines (and, hopefully, to develop them in the first place).

And the more work that can be done by machines, the easier it is to decentralize and make production local again. The only reason we haven't done so before now is because Chinese labour has been cheaper than Western machines.

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
Chinese products are produced based on corporate America's greed and never ending appetite for Wall Street to return more for the money lent to companies.
If there is a problem in Chinese products it squarely lies with us and no where else to point fingers.
That said the return of manufacturing to America is a must and folks in US need to understand they have to work for less for these jobs coming back else they will stay elsewhere.
Covid has exposed a serious supply chain nightmare that exposed many fault lines in a mad consumption and waste society we have created over the last 30 yrs.
Consumption w/o waste should be the new mantra and bet we are willing to pay more for no waste. A Chinese made toy would break in a week because we have gotten used to that, it must change and must change fast.

Covid is a way will reset corporate greed and Congress needs to punish corporate greed and wastefulness in moving jobs elsewhere just to reward WS for their stock returns. The American Capitalism model is broken and it will take another 30 years to reset supply chains.

How did American businesses not only survive, but thrive before cheap foreign labor? We did it then, it can be done now as well...

How did American businesses not only survive, but thrive before cheap foreign labor? We did it then, it can be done now as well...

Exactly! My point as well. Not to mention that the US was at it's very best during that same time in so many ways!

It's not that we can't do this again, it's that the globalists don't want it. It takes money out of their pockets and greedy creatures hate that.

Originally Posted by another Todd
I have no problem paying more for made in USA parts, and actually prefer to keep money in the USA and Americans working. 40 years ago, it was a different story when finances were tight, so I get that argument too.

I buy the best parts. I'd like to support American, and that's how I do it. If America is the best, I buy it. If not, I buy the best until America steps up and becomes the best. #NoParticipationTrophies.

When I had my woodworking business I can tell you the products most used were European. That probably still holds true today. I found that the US is at least 20-30 years behind in innovation and craftsmanship on many things. Most of the equipment that I leaned towards was made in Europe. I good chunk or hardware placed into the components was also European made. I still buy US made when I can. Equipment such as Altendorf, Martin and others are mainstream in the US woodworking shops. https://www.altendorf.com/en/company.html

Everyone wants American made products yet the job market pre Covid was 5% unemployment generally. How do you expect to fulfill more jobs in USA with manufacturing when the labor pool does not exist and immigration is stunted currently?

I get higher grade manufacturing the kind that requires workers to have 2year education etc in USA. However basic things seems like a waste of talent unless we ease up on legal immigration. Who do you think generally works the low wage manufacturing and food processing jobs?

Originally Posted by madRiver
Everyone wants American made products yet the job market pre Covid was 5% unemployment generally. How do you expect to fulfill more jobs in USA with manufacturing when the labor pool does not exist and immigration is stunted currently?

I get higher grade manufacturing the kind that requires workers to have 2year education etc in USA. However basic things seems like a waste of talent unless we ease up on legal immigration. Who do you think generally works the low wage manufacturing and food processing jobs?

Nah. We just need to stop pushing college college college college and support apprenticeships, trades, etc as well.

In the mid ‘90s I spoke with a German engineer from BMW AG who had been assigned to BMW NA; he was underwhelmed by the quality of the US engineering graduates he dealt with. He also couldn't understand the push to send everyone to college in the US. He spoke at length about how German schools identify a student's abilities and talents and use that information to steer them towards a vocation that is a good fit for their ability and personality.

Back