01 Suburban 1500 4x4 poor handling new shocks

From the day I bought my Suburban about 10-15k miles ago I noticed that it had a very floaty handling and it just felt unstable at high speeds and around corners.

This is my first GMT800 but I've owned a dozen GMT400s and other large vehicles so I'm used to driving full size trucks and SUVs and I'd say that this Suburban handles far worse than any of those.

I installed new KYB ExcelG shocks all the way around and it didn't make a huge difference. It helped but it's not as good as I expected. Are my shocks defective? Could it be something else?

Thanks.

Might be a good idea to check the sway bars and end links, Previous owner could have removed or possibly modified them for off road use, (or simply worn bushings at that age)

Suburban w/ 291k miles feels unstable at high speeds???
I'd look at tires, front suspension components, sway bar end links, maybe go with urethane sway bar bushings.

I would say a comprehensive inspection by someone with a clue (probably not a tire store) is in order.

Jetro and Egg Head on the right track ... (I cannot believe i just typed that)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I would say a comprehensive inspection by someone with a clue (probably not a tire store) is in order.

Jetro and Egg head on the right track on the right track... (I cannot believe i just typed that)

Yeah, the list goes on too, inner/outer tie rods, ball joints, control arms/bushings, wheel bearings, etc. Basically a front end suspension issue.

Definitely get it inspected. If that's not an option, get underweight the front end and have someone yard back and forth on the steering wheel. Look for anything that is moving that shouldn't be. If it's make clunking noises, check for excessive movement of the rack due to worn bushings. Check the ball joints for excessive play. Also, get the rear supported on the frame with jack stands and try check the rear end for sketchy bushings, shackles, etc. Get something to lever with and shove stuff around. At those kinds of miles, you are due for some suspension work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZTXvDBA2wM

2001 Chevy Suburban 5.3 ~291K Miles the miles look at the miles not the oil of filter, :[ Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30, ACDelco Filter.]

Man, I'd expect a GM truck with 290k miles to drive poorly unless I saw receipts for lots of chassis repairs. Throwing shocks on it before knowledgeable inspection of every piece of the steering and suspension is just firing up the parts cannon.

You have worn suspension components. I see this on a daily basis - some so bad it won't stay in a lane. Most likely culprits are the inner and outer tie rods, ball joints and pitman arm. Also look at your sway bar bushings for a bonus ride/handling improvement. When buying tie rods - STAY AWAY from Ac delco advantage parts - they are cheap chinese. I had a 2006 Yukon where I installed these per the customer (he bought them thinking he was getting OEM GM parts - they aren't).....no kiddding...5 months later they were worn terrible. So loose you could shake them. I replaced them with MOOG problem solvers which are a better internal design and a little beefier. Never any returns with those. These 800 series trucks run nice and are durablel but the front ends usually need work after the 150k mile mark.

Last edited:
I have an 03 2wd with 155k on it with similar problems. Replaced the shocks front and back due to noise and harsh ride (Monroe OE Spectrum), it helped but has not cured all the suspension noises. There is a twisting rubber noise and a clunk that are only heard when flexing the suspension over speed bumps and driveway approaches. She isn't exactly unstable at speed, but she is very susceptible to crosswind.

Visual inspections, everything appears to be in good shape, no movement that I can get, however, I don't have the ability to raise and support the vehicle properly to adequately exert inspection force on the various components. I am suspecting worn or bad bushings here and there, I've just not been able to confirm it yet. There is also negligible tire wear, which is the opposite of what you'd expect from front suspension component wear.

In addition to checking for worn suspension components, a bad tire can cause all sorts or handling issues, along with the alignment being off.

Agree with others to look at your suspension for worn parts..but tires are also a big factor.

Report back with the tire brand and make you currently have as well as tire pressure.

You have one of the heaviest vehicles that GM makes.. proper rated tires and inflation make a huge difference in handling.

On a big vehicle, go with the better mono tube shocks such as KYB gas-a-just...much better control. ExcellG shocks are not heavy duty enough to control that vehicle IMO. I put the KYB gas-a-just on my Yukon and they are outstanding.

Last edited:
Might want to make sure you don't have the smooth ride auto level suspension option. I forgot the glove box code but you can look it up. If you go to auto parts store and ask for shocks they will give you some that will fit but they will cause the issue you have and the ride height will sag in the back.

Since those auto level shocks are so expensive people just replace the rear springs so they can put on regular cheap shocks.

But ya.... with those many miles every thing needs to be inspected very closely for safety.

Just to echo what everyone else is saying, check all the front end parts well and tires... That will make a huge difference. As far as shocks go, I have had very good luck with KYB shocks.. but they do have different platforms. My truck currently has the MonoMax shocks which are almost too harsh for driving unloaded. It rides like a truck for sure, with a load or towing, rides amazing. I have used the GasAjust line and they are a great "daily driver" shock in my opinion. Smooth with good dampening. Maybe try them if the ones you have are too light duty (like what another Todd said). also check the control arm bump stops. Mine were gone from being old, and after replacing them, the truck seems to ride a hair smoother, maybe a placebo thing, but still something to check.

Thank you all for your input. I did have the fancy auto leveling Nivomat shocks in the back. I switched to regular shocks but installed heavy duty coil springs to complete the conversion.

I will warranty return these shocks and put in something heavier duty. KYB makes great products but you are right, I am a demanding driver with a heavy truck and going with the cheapest shocks they make was a dumb idea.

I am running Sumitomo Encounter HT tires. I always run 36 psi on my tires.

After that I will take it to a shop and have them check it out.

I have terrible luck with aftermarket springs, They rarely have the correct rate....Too soft or too harsh! In a heavy such as a Suburban, Bilstein B6/4600 all the way!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I have terrible luck with aftermarket springs, They rarely have the correct rate....Too soft or too harsh! In a heavy such as a Suburban, Bilstein B6/4600 all the way!

These ones lifted the back end of my truck quite a bit and are pretty stiff but I like that. And I cranked the torsion bars to level it. I like it stiff. But it's still too squishy. What about I slap some Rancho 9000XLs on it and set them to one of the harsher settings? Would that help? I am under the impression that Rancho and Monroe are crap but I can get Rancho cheap through work.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by clinebarger

These ones lifted the back end of my truck quite a bit and are pretty stiff but I like that. And I cranked the torsion bars to level it. I like it stiff. But it's still too squishy. What about I slap some Rancho 9000XLs on it and set them to one of the harsher settings? Would that help? I am under the impression that Rancho and Monroe are crap but I can get Rancho cheap through work.
Adjusting the ride height in the rear and cranking around the torsion bars, probably part of why it doesn't ride that well.

Back