Mercury Grand Marquis Buying Tips

Thanks to all for the added insight.

At least as far as the northeastern US is concerned, I'm of the impression that used/new car prices are likely to drop within the next few months or so. Price drops are already evident.

Last edited:
Locate one that has spent its life in Arizona or a like environment. Plenty of retired folks driving these in Phoenix and Tucson. Run a carfax to make sure the car was not transplanted to AZ from Chicago, NE USA, etc.

Well worth the money to grab one from Arizona. After replacing the u-joints on my F350 this weekend, which took six hours to just remove the clips, I will only buy used from the SouthWest. No exceptions.

Buy the one with the best body and interior. Everything else on those cars are cheap and easy to repair/replace.

I have a 96 and it has been a great car with minimal trouble and when it has trouble it has always been very minor. 216,000 miles now and still driving good. Never had the intake manifold issue but maybe it was changed out as I bought it used in 2012 with 81,000 miles. I paid $3,100 for it then.
Pluses are the big size and trunk. I was rear ended by a Camry at a red light about 35 mph. No damage to my car but the Camry took some damage to the front end. I was sore for about 2 days after I got home. I also went off road slightly and hit a guard rail due to another car coming into my lane. Hit front bumper and rolled through the side but barely noticeable.

I would see if either of those were garage stored. Buying one of these older cars that has been garage stored will help immensely in addition to making sure it was well taken care of.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dwcopple
Set the front seat to your preferred driving position. Then, try getting into the backseat behind the driver and be shocked how a car this big can have no rear legroom whatsoever...

That's why I've still been considering a newer Panther chassis Town Car, they have a LOT more legroom back there! The hotter 32 valve DOHC engine is a plus too.

Originally Posted by Fordiesel69
Very excellent cars. Definately what you want for ultra durabilty and long term ownership.

All model years:
-Blend door servo can fail, and the digital climate control panel can fail. Best to get the mechanical dial climate control.

1998- 2002:
-Bad intake manifolds, not a problem it just needs updated. Keep an eye on the 2002 as they were supposed to be upgraded but some were early builds and still have plastic.
U
2003:
-1st year for the new suspension.
-Bad steel rims that were included in a recall.
-Bad axle shafts that were not induction hardened. They will wear a groove and start leaking oil before they snap. Not really a big issue.
-Bad lighting control module that is used only in 2003 thru 2005. Every one of them is faulty and should have had a recall done.
-Somtimes a seal will leak on the rack and pinion more than other years.
-Overall not a bad model year but it does have some bad press due to those dumb issues.

2004:
-The 1st year for knock sensor, + larger zip tube = way more HP!! Last year for cable throttle.
-Known as the absolute best year among many enthusiasts. 99= most durable, 04= Best HP / suspension, 08= best features with least issues, but has TPMS, and is fully certified for E85.
-All the wierd stuff from 2003 in theory should have been fixed but some early builds still have those issues.

2005:
-New design steering column that has a recall on the lower steering shaft + an added safety retainer.
-Has the highest transmission failure rates of any other year.
-Has a uniquely ran wiring harness up front behind the grille that when you get into an accident, it will ruin + cut this harness. You cannot swap any other year harness into it.

2006:
-Has a new digital odometer cluster that fails. This applies to all 2006 thru 2011 model year crown vic / grand marquis. Its a $150 resolder job and the issue will not return.
-They switched to stamped steel lower ctrl arms, no big deal.

2007:
-Better transmission design. But otherwise not much diffferent.

2008:
-TPMS added as standard. Batteries in the sensors last 10 yrs approx.
-1st year for E85 officially (2007 was too but not officially)

There is a recall for the automatic headlight module (on my ‘03 MGM), I just never use auto headlights, so I haven't gotten it done yet.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Donald
What is so special about this model? Buy a Camry.

Some want to drive dinosaurs here on BITOG because they (Crown Vics/Mercs) are cheap to buy and maintain-and they can get 300,000 miles out of them.

On this forum that is the pinnacle of automotive excellence.......

You say that as if the statement wasn't true.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by dwcopple
Set the front seat to your preferred driving position. Then, try getting into the backseat behind the driver and be shocked how a car this big can have no rear legroom whatsoever...

That's why I've still been considering a newer Panther chassis Town Car, they have a LOT more legroom back there! The hotter 32 valve DOHC engine is a plus too.

Did the Town Car ever get the DOHC? I thought they only put it in the Marauder, but they should've offered it in the Town Car
crazy2.gif

220 hp in a V8 was terrible even 20 years ago. V8 gas mileage, V6 power
smirk2.gif

The 2GR in the Avalon made 280 hp, almost as much as the Marauder, way more than any other panther

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by CKN

Some want to drive dinosaurs here on BITOG because they (Crown Vics/Mercs) are cheap to buy and maintain-and they can get 300,000 miles out of them.

No.....on here it's true. On the other hand-some of us don't have any desire to drive a car to 300,000 miles-or even 200,000 for that matter.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by CKN

No.....on here it's true. On the other hand-some of us don't have any desire to drive a car to 300,000 miles-or even 200,000 for that matter.

Well, you're just not part of the cool crowd then.

I have a ‘99.

As far as durability, these are hard to beat. Like any vehicle, it has weak points such as the plastic intake manifold that suffers from coolant leaks at the front crossover and/or rear heater hose nipple.

As a car, it is mediocre. Not a lot of cabin room for the size of the car. Handling you would expect with a land barge.

We keep ours as an extra car or loading up the whole family for trips to the airport.

If I didn't get a known well maintained example from a family member, I wouldn't own one.

I don't regret spending a couple grand to get one nearly 6 years ago. I've put about 40k miles in that time span and had what doesn't seem like an excessive amount of repairs for a 21 year old car with 104k miles on the clock.

- Suspension work ball joints and tie rod ends
- A/C Compressor
- Coils and Plugs
- New Window Regulator

The air ride still works but likely leaks a bit as it fires up the compressor as soon as you get in the car.

Originally Posted by Bogdon
I came across this link regarding the most troubled production years for the Grand Marquis:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Mercury/Grand_Marquis/

According to the bar graph, 2005 and 2003 weren't (comparatively speaking) good years.

Had a 2005 Crown Vic. Put 270K miles on it. Mostly highway. Only things it needed was a water pump and accumulator.

Window regulator were never touched probably cause I just set the temperature and left the system on the entire time I had it. I do that with all my vehicles.

Finally changed out the plugs 200K miles. They still looked okay. Saw no difference in performance. Just plugs were changed. Nothing else.

Used only 87 octane. Mostly Exxon-Mobil.

Used 5W20 the entire time. It was either Motorcraft or Mobil 1. Used no oil between changes.

No Suspension work needed to my surprise and it was driven in NYC a lot in the summer months.

I did have to get it repainted as the White Paint started peeling. Ford refused to help me as I was just out of warranty. They would NOT even pay for half of it.

The 4.6 Crown Vic was the most trouble free vehicle I ever owned.

It was formally a rental car from Hertz in Orlando before I owned it. Bought it with 19K miles on it. Service records said it was serviced every 5K miles.

With that said my 2016 Tahoe LT is much more comfortable on those long trips from Miami-NYC. My 5.3 Tahoe gets the exact same mileage as my 4.6 Crown Vic did.

Back