Going to Get New Cell Phones And Need Help

IMO, any discussion of new phones should include 5g in the discussion. Unlocked verses locked is a moot point with Verizon.
Personally, I'm holding out for 5g phones (when they come down to a reasonable price). In every area that they turn it on, 5g will give better and more reliable coverage, reception, and throughput. 5g is supposed to provide useable speeds at lower signal strengths than LTE can offer, in other words, the phone will work just as good at 1 bar as it does with 5 bars. In areas that don't have 5g available, the phones will fall-back to 4g LTE.
"The 5G spectrum includes all type of spectrum including low band and mid band spectrum of the 1G through 4G LTE frequencies as well as the new high-band spectrum, also known as millimeter wavelength (mmWave)." https://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/5g/understanding-5g-spectrum. Initially, they will only be using the lower bands because the infrastructure is already in place. This is the reason that 2g has been shut down and 3g is being shut down, the carriers are using those bands for 5g. It is NOT true that 5g will only be useful in dense urban environments. Also, the beauty part of 5g is that it can use multiple bands simultaneously.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Remember 5G is coming; don't buy technology that will be NG in 2 years.

2 years? We don't even have good 4G coverage in many places yet. With all that's going on I wouldn't hold by breath for significant expansion. 3G is still fully functional with many carriers so why will 4G be no good in 2 years? Fear mongering based on false information?

https://www.androidcentral.com/heres-every-us-city-5g-coverage-right-now

Fear Mongering about Cell phones?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Trav, Did you have a two teaspoons of leaf in your tea this morning?
smile.gif

The OP Sierra sounds like someone who doesn't replace phones every 2 years.

Like me I'm still barely getting by with an unsupported Windows 8 phone - My first Smarmy Fone eva!

I've been shut out with old tech so seeing 4G is almost a decade old It was worth a consideration.

I am not a phone phanatic, just some old guy. Flappin his yapper with only sparse lay knowledge.

Like Most comments about oil and auto repair I read on here
smile.gif

I though it was my turn to put out some 1/2 informed opinions on a not to important subject.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123
IMO, any discussion of new phones should include 5g in the discussion. Unlocked verses locked is a moot point with Verizon.
Personally, I'm holding out for 5g phones (when they come down to a reasonable price). In every area that they turn it on, 5g will give better and more reliable coverage, reception, and throughput. 5g is supposed to provide useable speeds at lower signal strengths than LTE can offer, in other words, the phone will work just as good at 1 bar as it does with 5 bars. In areas that don't have 5g available, the phones will fall-back to 4g LTE.
"The 5G spectrum includes all type of spectrum including low band and mid band spectrum of the 1G through 4G LTE frequencies as well as the new high-band spectrum, also known as millimeter wavelength (mmWave)." https://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/5g/understanding-5g-spectrum. Initially, they will only be using the lower bands because the infrastructure is already in place. This is the reason that 2g has been shut down and 3g is being shut down, the carriers are using those bands for 5g. It is NOT true that 5g will only be useful in dense urban environments. Also, the beauty part of 5g is that it can use multiple bands simultaneously.

I keep hearing 5G is the next best wonderful things for your reasons mentioned above. However-no one ever mentions that 5G will be more susceptible to not receiving signals due to obstructions such as buildings, etc.

Making 5G work indoors is a huge task for operators. ... But bringing 5G coverage inside is more complex than it was with 3G and 4G because some operators (Verizon and AT&T) are using high bandwidth spectrum (i.e. millimeter wave), which doesn't penetrate buildings easily and has limited coverage range.

By the time 5G is truly (widely) implemented-any cell phone you buy today-you will be considering replacement anyway due to battery concerns-since as someone mentioned above-the battery is good for two years. For me battery replacement on my Samsung was 40% of the new google phone. So for me-it was a no brainer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

I keep hearing 5G is the next best wonderful things for your reasons mentioned above. However-no one ever mentions that 5G will be more susceptible to not receiving signals due to obstructions such as buildings, etc.

Making 5G work indoors is a huge task for operators. ... But bringing 5G coverage inside.

5G emits up to 8x more radiation than 3g, you would think reception would be better albeit with worse battery life.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by CKN

Making 5G work indoors is a huge task for operators. ... But bringing 5G coverage inside.

5G emits up to 8x more radiation than 3g, you would think reception would be better albeit with worse battery life.

Why would you think that? Higher frequencies give you more bandwidth but lower range. It's always been like that.

Right now phones like the Samsung S20 support 5g, but they're in the $800-$1000 range. Prices typically drop after a year or two. Should be good for 5-7 years. Sealed battery isn't that big a deal, battery replacement services are typically in the $35-$50 range. Or you can try buying a battery and replacing it yourself after watching some videos....

One reason Samsung hasn't made as much money as Apple is because they offer good discounts on the phone. Typically around black friday, the prices are cut almost in half.

Originally Posted by CKN

Making 5G work indoors is a huge task for operators. ... But bringing 5G coverage inside is more complex than it was with 3G and 4G because some operators (Verizon and AT&T) are using high bandwidth spectrum (i.e. millimeter wave), which doesn't penetrate buildings easily and has limited coverage range.
How well 5g works inside buildings and in remote locations is a function of the frequency being used. The fastest speeds (up to 2gbps) are achieved when the millimeter wavelength 28/39 ghz frequency bands are being used and it is a known fact that these frequencies have a very hard time penetrating walls/structures. But, the carriers are also using the lower frequency 700-800mhz bands (and even lower 600mhz band for T-Mobile) as well as the 850/1700/1900/2100/2500 mhz frequency bands for 5g, which travel farther and are much better at penetrating walls/structures. The downside of using the lower frequencies is that the 5g speeds suffer. So, why are they even using the 28/39 ghz frequency bands when they are almost unusable in practice? Bragging rights, so they can advertise speeds of UP TO 2gbps. A big plus with 5g is that they can use multiple bands simultaneously which can offer the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by CKN

Why would you think that? Higher frequencies give you more bandwidth but lower

Multispectral with EXPONENTIALLY higher power and signal output should mean better reception.

Probably can use a 5g device as a hand warmer in cold weather, it's that much more of an increase.

Gotta wonder how much battery life will tank.

Originally Posted by Trav
Remember 5G is coming; don't buy technology that will be NG in 2 years.

2 years? We don't even have good 4G coverage in many places yet. With all that's going on I wouldn't hold by breath for significant expansion. 3G is still fully functional with many carriers so why will 4G be no good in 2 years? Fear mongering based on false information?

https://www.androidcentral.com/heres-every-us-city-5g-coverage-right-now

Fear Mongering about Cell phones?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Trav, Did you have a two teaspoons of leaf in your tea this morning?
smile.gif

Like me I'm still barely getting by with an unsupported Windows 8 phone - My first Smarmy Fone eva!

I've been shut out with old tech so seeing 4G is almost a decade old It was worth a consideration.

I am not a phone phanatic, just some old guy. Flappin his yapper with only sparse lay knowledge.

Like Most comments about oil and auto repair I read on here
smile.gif

I though it was my turn to put out some 1/2 informed opinions on a not to important subject.

I mean telling people to wait for 5G or don't buy a phone, really? Like I said we don't even have good 4G coverage here, there is no way they are implementing 5G in many areas. I just got a new phone, 5G was the least important feature for me and it will last as long through the next generation.

i just find it odd that in place were t mobile has their HQ they don't even have 5 g yet. its going to be a while for full 5 g service nationwide

Originally Posted by CKN

Why would you think that? Higher frequencies give you more bandwidth but lower range. It's always been like that.

Right now phones like the Samsung S20 support 5g, but they're in the $800-$1000 range. Prices typically drop after a year or two. Should be good for 5-7 years. Sealed battery isn't that big a deal, battery replacement services are typically in the $35-$50 range. Or you can try buying a battery and replacing it yourself after watching some videos....

One reason Samsung hasn't made as much money as Apple is because they offer good discounts on the phone. Typically around black friday, the prices are cut almost in half.

Here it's a lot more than $50.00 to have a battery replaced in a Samsung S10. $35.00 for an installed battery? What planet? Yea-I watched a replacement video and decided it wasn't for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Here it's a lot more than $50.00 to have a battery replaced in a Samsung S10. $35.00 for an installed battery? What planet? Yea-I watched a replacement video and decided it wasn't for me.

How many planets have you been to? On this planet there's a place called eBay and there's a service there that will replace a battery in an S10 for $40. The S9 is $35. Maybe you need to switch planets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Ga...ir-Service-Fast-Free-Return/124097109710

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Ga...ir-Service-Fast-Free-Return/124097040716

I dont agree, I Do agree 5 g is the future if not for anything more then companies need to be able to increase profits..
But any 5 G phone you buy now or the next year or two or three will be obsolete by the time 5g is installed coast to coast which will take 10 years.

I dont agree with you discounting LTE service. My ATT LTE could not possibly be any more reliable then it currently is so I dont understand your statement regarding that.
My ATT simply works wherever I am and no one will be able to tell me how I will be better off having a 5G phone at this time there is no use for it at this time and will not be for the next 5 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Telling somebody not to buy a phone unless it has 5G capability is nonsensical. It's like most people trying to tell the difference between the dpi resolutions on televisions.

It will be the same for 5G-to most the difference will not be a deal breaker.

I just went through this-I found that the Google Pixel 3XL was more than sufficient for my needs.

OK-it's not 100% water-proof. I don't plan on talking in the rain or going swimming with my phone.

I think it was like $279.00 on sale at Best Buy-unlocked.

I have service through Verizon.

It works great!

I was hoping to respond to several quotes in one post but I don't know how to do that so my apologies beforehand.

CKN,

I forgot to mention in my opening post that the phone my son was recommending was the new Google 4a that's supposed to be available in the next week or so. I didn't even know Google made a phone. My son and daughter-in-law really like their earlier version Google phone and it's the reason they are going for a newer Google version.

ARCOGraphite,

You are correct. My wife is still using a cell phone she's had for 7 years and I'm still using one that's 5 1/2 years old. The only reason mine's not 7 years old as well is because I ran mine over with my truck and I had no choice but to replace it.

I am not a phone phanatic, just some old guy.

Ditto.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
I dont agree with you discounting LTE service. My ATT LTE could not possibly be any more reliable then it currently is so I dont understand your statement regarding that.
My ATT simply works wherever I am and no one will be able to tell me how I will be better off having a 5G phone at this time there is no use for it at this time and will not be for the next 5 years.
My personal experience with AT&T's 4g LTE service is that the performance/throughput drops precipitously at lower signal strengths. I need two bars or better to get any kind of reasonable performance. 1 bar? Forget any Internet use. VoLTE calls? Forget it. This is what I consider unreliable. I have an old 3g flip phone that I have to use at my country house if I want to make any calls.

I never expected this topic to get to 3 pages. Thanks for all your input.

For those who might be wondering why I stay with Verizon and not switch to a lower cost carrier. I mentioned I retired from Verizon after 34 years. Might sound silly but they provided me with health insurance until I went on Medicare and are carrying my wife this year until she goes on Medicare next year. Just a sign of appreciation whether Verizon cares or not. And I have always received great customer service from them as well as great national coverage when traveling.

Finally, I became lost in a lot of the responses, mainly the technical related comments. It was way above my comprehension capabilities. That's not on those that commented, that's all on me for being tech illiterate. 3g, 4g, 5g and radiation
crazy2.gif
, VoLTE, CDMA etc... sent my head spinning. I guess you can guess I wasn't on the Verizon Wireless side of the business.

As always, you guys, and gals, are the reason I come here and ask the questions that I do. You are all very much appreciated.

Originally Posted by CKN

How many planets have you been to? On this planet there's a place called eBay and there's a service there that will replace a battery in an S10 for $40. The S9 is $35. Maybe you need to switch planets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Ga...ir-Service-Fast-Free-Return/124097109710

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Ga...ir-Service-Fast-Free-Return/124097040716

Yea-most people can send their phone away and not need it. There is STILL no bargain here....

Find me a"brick and Mortar" for $30.00..............................where I can get my phone battery replaced in an hour or less. WE are not looking to buy oil or brake pads here.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sierra048
Originally Posted by CKN
Telling somebody not to buy a phone unless it has 5G capability is nonsensical. It's like most people trying to tell the difference between the dpi resolutions on televisions.

It will be the same for 5G-to most the difference will not be a deal breaker.

I just went through this-I found that the Google Pixel 3XL was more than sufficient for my needs.

OK-it's not 100% water-proof. I don't plan on talking in the rain or going swimming with my phone.

I think it was like $279.00 on sale at Best Buy-unlocked.

I have service through Verizon.

It works great!

I was hoping to respond to several quotes in one post but I don't know how to do that so my apologies beforehand.

CKN,

I forgot to mention in my opening post that the phone my son was recommending was the new Google 4a that's supposed to be available in the next week or so. I didn't even know Google made a phone. My son and daughter-in-law really like their earlier version Google phone and it's the reason they are going for a newer Google version.

Most people who have google phones are very happy with them. I went from what many would call a "premium brand" a Samsung to a less expensive but quite adequate phone.

Originally Posted by CKN
Most people who have google phones are very happy with them. I went from what many would call a "premium brand" a Samsung to a less expensive but quite adequate phone.

I away used to get flagship phones, but even phones one step below that are still pretty decent. As for sending a phone off to get a battery, you could always borrow a phone and pop in the sim chip to use temporarily. I only got an S10 because I had cracked the screen on my S8 and at the time it was like $200 to get the screen replaced by Samsung and at least $100+ online to do it and at least $30+ for the screen and the DIY on it was crazier than just replacing the battery as you had to take the whole phone apart before you could get to the screen to replace it. Now they offer screen replacement in the $35 range too. And the S10 was basically half off at Costco during black friday.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
My personal experience with AT&T's 4g LTE service is that the performance/throughput drops precipitously at lower signal strengths. I need two bars or better to get any kind of reasonable performance. 1 bar? Forget any Internet use. VoLTE calls? Forget it. This is what I consider unreliable. I have an old 3g flip phone that I have to use at my country house if I want to make any calls.

I can agree with you, we all know, with any cell service, it is possible you might be one of the unlucky ones where coverage, no matter what cell company, is not ideal.
That happens to all carriers. I am an expert on this subject, as I connected alarm systems to cell service providers for close to the last 8 years and have extensive experience with ATT and Verizon, which depending on the area one might be better then the other.

Another problem sometimes is people blame the carrier but its also possible its the phone itself.
Blows my mind that people get google phones, but that is another subject. A lot of people could care less about privacy anymore, never thought I would see the day, but people will feel their privacy to the best buyer AKA Google.

Last edited:
Back