Pure Ester oil?

Hi Guys, I build small engines for kart racing (mainly the Honda Clone GX160 and GX200) and we're all always looking for a good oil to protect these things with no oil filter, splash lube and air cooled so rather high temps. From reading on here for years, Molacule has always stated how awesome Esters are. I can buy quarts of clear pure ester oil in the A/C section of my local rural king for a decent cost. Would this be an adequate oil for a small racing "tiller" engine? I'm guessing it is likely missing some additives needed for an IC engine but guys have tried some very crazy things in these little motors over the years some with success and some not so much...

I've seen Turbine oil used, PAG oils are popular, regular HD30wt, vegetable based oils etc.

https://www.redlineoil.com/4-stroke-kart-oil-5w20

Redline makes a karting oil.

Popular in Four-Cycle karting engines like Yamaha/Burris F200, Briggs Animal and World Formula, Honda GX 160 and GX 200, Kohler, Tecumseh and Clones
A 5W20 multigrade that provides balance of wear and ring seal
Designed to eliminate carbon build up on valves, pistons and chambers
Avoids DQ at tech inspection due to combustion chamber deposits

not sure how 'estery' it is, but i can't imaging trying to blend your own will get you better success.

Last edited:
Why don't you take a zinc vitamin pill for anti-wear, crush it and add it to the ester oil ? Than squirt some silicone spray lube for anti-foam while your at it.

There's a blender on this site, HPL, that produces blends especially for different racing uses. Maybe contact them and see what they say. High Performance Lubricant's
They are a board sponsor and easy to talk to. Drop them an email.
https://www.hplubricants.com/about-us/

Last edited:
Maybe that 0W-0 oil that was peddled here a couple weeks ago would work? /sarcasm

racin4ds, I highly doubt ANY kart race has ever been decided solely by what oil 1st and 2nd place used. My bet would be on the oil that protected engine parts the best, and therefore maintained HP the longest. Redline and Amsoil I believe both make kart oils, try those first before you burn hundreds of dollars in boutique oils only to find there's no difference except how much money is in your wallet.

Engine prep and cleanliness on initial assembly, piston ring seating, and proper tolerances are almost certainly more important than the oil you pick. Good luck with your racing!
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks guys lol, many responses are exactly what I expected
smile.gif

Truthfully, I know Redline and others make karting specific oils, problem is they are not easily obtained locally ( I hate mail ordering and paying shipping on oil!) I've used many karting specific oils over the years, but they're expensive as heck and you know how racers think, theres always more power to be found! lol

Appreciate it guys.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
From reading on here for years, Molacule has always stated how awesome Esters are. I can buy quarts of clear pure ester oil in the A/C section of my local rural king for a decent cost. Would this be an adequate oil for a small racing "tiller" engine? I'm guessing it is likely missing some additives needed for an IC engine but guys have tried some very crazy things in these little motors over the years some with success and some not so much...

I've seen Turbine oil used, PAG oils are popular, regular HD30wt, vegetable based oils etc.

A pure, unadditized ester would not be good and damage could actually ensue because you would have no Anti-Wear, no anti-foamant, no rust prevention, no metal inhibitors. no etc.

I would not use any unadditized pure base oil in any engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by racin4ds
From reading on here for years, Molacule has always stated how awesome Esters are. I can buy quarts of clear pure ester oil in the A/C section of my local rural king for a decent cost. Would this be an adequate oil for a small racing "tiller" engine? I'm guessing it is likely missing some additives needed for an IC engine but guys have tried some very crazy things in these little motors over the years some with success and some not so much...

A pure, unadditized ester would not be good and damage could actually ensue because you would have no Anti-Wear, no anti-foamant, no rust prevention, no metal inhibitors. no etc.

I would not use any unadditized pure base oil in any engine.

Thank you sir! Exactly what I was looking for! That was my expectation as well but figured, hey why not ask!

No, you really don't want to put that oil into an engine. The ester used in A/C lubricant is a particular composition that is miscible with the Freon used in air-conditioning. Its lubricity characteristics actually aren't where they should be for engine oils.

Back