Wix 51394

I have been using this filter on my JD Zero Turn, Oreilly didn't have it so I crossed it to a Mobil M1-102A filter, the Mobil filter seems bigger than the Wix, will it be ok ?

very good filter.. i have used the napa version of the wix on my corolla's
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

If the filter amount can accomodate the slightly larger o-ring it should work, I'm most familiar with Fram numbers, that mobil filter seems to directly cross reference the Fram 3614 while the Wix directly cross references a Fram 4967, the 4967 is a little smaller in diameter and has a smaller gasket by about .3inches, if it'll mount and not leak I don't think the larger filter should be too much of a problem although I typically wouldn't recommend running super oversized filters on small engines as the filter may steal too much oil from the sump and starve the engine of oil but the 3614 is about 25cuin in empty can volume and the 4967 is about 17cuin so with the larger media cartridge there's only a few more ounces held in the 3614, I wouldn't be super worried, just don't stick something like a Fram 3600 or 8 sized filter on a small engine that calls for a 4967.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
I typically wouldn't recommend running super oversized filters on small engines as the filter may steal too much oil from the sump and starve the engine of oil

If you were to only add the recommended amount of oil, I would agree. But if you add the recommended amount, start the engine for a couple minutes to let everything circulate and fill the filter, shut it off and then bring the oil level to the correct amount on the dipstick, then there should be no problem at all. My ZT had one of the tiniest 3/4-16 filters I've personally seen from the factory (I forget the Hydro-Gear part #), but it couldn't have been more than maybe 4oz worth of oil. Since it's mounted horizontally, I was able to dry-fit a 3600 and find that it just cleared the frame. It's been running like that for several months.

If the filter amount can accomodate the slightly larger o-ring it should work, I'm most familiar with Fram numbers, that mobil filter seems to directly cross reference the Fram 3614 while the Wix directly cross references a Fram 4967, the 4967 is a little smaller in diameter and has a smaller gasket by about .3inches, if it'll mount and not leak I don't think the larger filter should be too much of a problem although I typically wouldn't recommend running super oversized filters on small engines as the filter may steal too much oil from the sump and starve the engine of oil but the 3614 is about 25cuin in empty can volume and the 4967 is about 17cuin so with the larger media cartridge there's only a few more ounces held in the 3614, I wouldn't be super worried, just don't stick something like a Fram 3600 or 8 sized filter on a small engine that calls for a 4967.

I know that many have used a 3614 on Toyota's that call for a 4967.....but I'd like to know if a 4967 or the slightly longer 4386 can be used in place of a 3614 even though the gasket is smaller?
I ask because I have several of the 4967 and 4386 filters from my Toyota that I could use in my Focus if I sell the Corolla. A few years ago my niece had one of the smaller one's installed
on her Focus at a quick lube place and it didn't seem to cause an issue. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I typically wouldn't recommend running super oversized filters on small engines as the filter may steal too much oil from the sump and starve the engine of oil

If you were to only add the recommended amount of oil, I would agree. But if you add the recommended amount, start the engine for a couple minutes to let everything circulate and fill the filter, shut it off and then bring the oil level to the correct amount on the dipstick, then there should be no problem at all. My ZT had one of the tiniest 3/4-16 filters I've personally seen from the factory (I forget the Hydro-Gear part #), but it couldn't have been more than maybe 4oz worth of oil. Since it's mounted horizontally, I was able to dry-fit a 3600 and find that it just cleared the frame. It's been running like that for several months.

The only problem with doing that is if the ADBV fails then the sump will get flooded.

Originally Posted by pbm

I know that many have used a 3614 on Toyota's that call for a 4967.....but I'd like to know if a 4967 or the slightly longer 4386 can be used in place of a 3614 even though the gasket is smaller?
I ask because I have several of the 4967 and 4386 filters from my Toyota that I could use in my Focus if I sell the Corolla. A few years ago my niece had one of the smaller one's installed
on her Focus at a quick lube place and it didn't seem to cause an issue. Any thoughts?

You'd need to measure the oil filter mount and make sure that the ID of the gasket hits a flat surface and that it's not sealing against a section that's milled out where oil is supposed to be flowing. I'm not really sure about running smaller filters but the 4386 would probably be fine as it's roughly the same length as the 3614 just 3/10 of an inch smaller diameter wise without seeing the filter media cartridge I can't say how that would effect the surface area, the 4967 just seems really really small I'm not sure I'd use it in an application that calls for a 3614 being both 3/10 smaller and being .4in shorter, I took apart a Cor3506ACC recently which should be about the same as the PH3506 and internally about the same as the 3614 minus the bypass valve in the leaf spring and having a 13/16-16 taping plate installed, the media cartridge was only about 2.25in tall, so when you shorten the filter .4in I'd assume that directly translates to media cartridge being .4in shorter since the leaf spring and adbv should take up the same amount of space in the can so going down from the 4386 to the 4967 would make the media cartridge about 1.85in long so you lose about 18% of the surface area there. I think I still got that cut up filter out in the garage maybe I'll measure the pleat depth and calculate what area would be lost if you shorten them around .15in although I'm not sure if the pleats in the 4967 and 4386 might be more dense than those in the 3506 or 3614 or similar diameter filters.

Why not use the recommended filter and sleep well. I see little or no value in trying to fit something not even crossed over that happens to screw on. Ed

Originally Posted by Eddie
Why not use the recommended filter and sleep well. I see little or no value in trying to fit something not even crossed over that happens to screw on. Ed

Like some here, I'm a believer in using the largest filter that will fit.
Zero turns don't have as much room as some tractors but the 3614 should fit in space provided.

The larger filter means we can extend oil changes and even run that filter two oil changes.

My 2¢

Originally Posted by dwendt44

Zero turns don't have as much room as some tractors but the 3614 should fit in space provided.

The larger filter means we can extend oil changes and even run that filter two oil changes.

My 2¢

Just be careful using the largest filter you can fit, you might actually be hurting more than helping. A lot of these small engines don't have super high oil pressure or pump volume, and some need to fill the filter first before oil gets to the bearings. A larger filter will take longer to fill (initially, and if the ADBV fails) before the oil reaches the bearings. A larger filter won't really do any favors besides adding a tiny amount more oil capacity. I've cut open small engine filters (the OEM sizes) that have been on for years, and they weren't clogged or anywhere near capacity. Something like a 3614 or Wix 1348 size is perfectly fine, but I've seen pics on here of guys running filters that stick out 10" from the engine.
crazy.gif

I would also be sure to check the bypass rating of the filter you intend to use. While I'm relatively sure the 4967, 1394 etc, and maybe even the 3614 all have similar bypass ratings, so that shouldn't be a problem in this case. I use 4967 on my JD 425 and 3614 on my Toyota truck simply because that's what they call for.

Originally Posted by bchannell
I would also be sure to check the bypass rating of the filter you intend to use. While I'm relatively sure the 4967, 1394 etc, and maybe even the 3614 all have similar bypass ratings, so that shouldn't be a problem in this case. I use 4967 on my JD 425 and 3614 on my Toyota truck simply because that's what they call for.

The 4967, 4386, 8, 16, 3614, 3600 all have pretty similar bypass ratings around 12-14 psi.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by dwendt44

My 2¢

Just be careful using the largest filter you can fit, you might actually be hurting more than helping. A lot of these small engines don't have super high oil pressure or pump volume, and some need to fill the filter first before oil gets to the bearings. A larger filter will take longer to fill (initially, and if the ADBV fails) before the oil reaches the bearings. A larger filter won't really do any favors besides adding a tiny amount more oil capacity. I've cut open small engine filters (the OEM sizes) that have been on for years, and they weren't clogged or anywhere near capacity. Something like a 3614 or Wix 1348 size is perfectly fine, but I've seen pics on here of guys running filters that stick out 10" from the engine.
crazy.gif

Yep, this is important. Don't change oil filter size especially on a performance or modified vehicle

Back