Maybe Missing Coolant '99 Camry V6

I just changed the Coolant in this car, not my own. I know from past experience that the actual coolant level may be settle down until after a few start and stops from cold to hot to cold to hot to cold.

It appears coolant is going somewhere in this '99 Camry V6. Those of you will experience, where would you look? If it is leaking, it is not obvious. And the car is about
5 miles from my house and I only see it about once a week. I showed the owner how to check the level and let me know if it gets low again.

Any pointers?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Ant evidence of head gasket leaking ?

No sir.

The owner is single Mom with 2 kids. We just paid for her timing belt. I sure hope the Coolant level stabilizes.

Originally Posted by Gebo

Critic, I should be able to see the pink residue if I can contort my neck and mirror properly, right? Did you ever see drips on the ground?

When the leak gets severe you will see signs of the residue all over the transmission and it will drip. If you remove the airbox and look near the starter area, you will see signs of the residue as well.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by Gebo

Critic, I should be able to see the pink residue if I can contort my neck and mirror properly, right? Did you ever see drips on the ground?

When the leak gets severe you will see signs of the residue all over the transmission and it will drip. If you remove the airbox and look near the starter area, you will see signs of the residue as well.

Hey, thanks! I'm on it.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Any evidence of coolant in the engine oil ?

None. Already checked that.

Radiator cap may have faulty seal or missing the button plastic portion of return valve on the rad cap.

Originally Posted by amusing
Radiator cap may have faulty seal or missing the button plastic portion of return valve on the rad cap.

Have checked both of them.

I had a very slight coolant leak in my old Benz last winter. It only happened in cold weather. It went away once the temperatures warmed up. I eventually traced it to a hose clamp. Tightened it up just a little bit. The leak went away.

You seem to be in Virginia. It has been unseasonably chilly here in east Tennessee the last week, down in the low 30s at night. Maybe it is colder weather where you are exposing a similar leak?

Last edited:
The first thing I thought when I saw the title was a air bubble. I would keep an eye on it for a bit longer since you don't see any leakage.

This mornings pic. I believe it's all good. I have never added coolant 3 times after a coolant change. Normally, I add coolant one time.

Whew! I was so excited I was standing on my head while taking the picture.

573D3F56-5D11-4DFD-AA07-43DC5357DAE8.jpeg

Last edited:
Back