Napa Premium Brake Rotors w/ Graphite Guard

Has anyone had any luck using these? Are they made by BPI? Just found out that some newer applications (2010+) have this graphite coating on the hats and phosphate surface finish on them now.. Curious to see how well the coating holds up in rain or salty winters.

[Linked Image from napabrakes.com]

FEATURES AND BENEFITS
Features and Benefits
All NAPA® Brakes Premium™ Rotors feature:

Consistent with OE in heat dissipation, stopping distance, brake fade, rotor and friction wear and noise suppression
OE-matched air gap, plate thickness and vane configuration
CNC mill-balanced for optimal weight distribution and consistent performance
Non-directional finish removes peaks and directional lines
Manufactured to SAE G3000 standard and machined to the tightest tolerances
12 month/12,000 mile warranty
2010 and newer applications now include:

Graphite guard: Provides corrosion protection to critical areas of the outside of the rotor hat and plate edges. Graphite Guard is robotically applied and tests to withstand 120 hours of salt spray exposure.
Phosphate Finish: Allows for better adhesion of the Graphite Guard and produces an attractive appearance on the disc plate surface.
Upgraded packaging

https://www.napabrakes.com/products/rotors/premium.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8k31_6Z14Q&t=2s

Hmm, also curious about this and whether its any better than any other e-coat. Ran the Raybestos element3 rotors with their proprietary fusion 4.0 coating on our explorer for two winters. Held up just fine over that short time. Running the zinc coated PowerStop rotors on my F150 right now, but they have seen less than one full salt season at this point so its hard to comment.

I did run the Frontline rotors from Advance Auto with the e-coat on my truck for about 5 years and they held up pretty well in the salt belt here. Not perfect, but pretty dang good!

All I know is I had a poor experience with the Napa brake rotors I bought for my 2002 4Runner.

They lasted about 6 months and I got the shudders again.

I may have just got some bad ones. IDK??

Originally Posted by Gebo
All I know is I had a poor experience with the Napa brake rotors I bought for my 2002 4Runner.

If you're getting vibration after only six months that could indicate a problem other than the rotors.

Could be but the new rotors I replaced them with have lasted about 5 years with no shudder problems. That's all I know.
21.gif

Well, their Ultra Premium rotors claim 300 hour salt test, so your 120 hour salt test rotor is a lower quality product for corrosion resistance according to their marketing. https://www.napabrakes.com/products/rotors/ultra-premium.html

There are lots of past discussions about coated rotors here. I do not think we ever came to any conclusions. Some think that the NAPA product is supplied by Raybestos. Maybe the ultra premiums are the Raybestos specialty rotors with a complete coating....it has been suggested before. The Premiums have just the hat and edges protected. The ultra premiums have 100% protection (inside the vanes, etc.).

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Well, their Ultra Premium rotors claim 300 hour salt test, so your 120 hour salt test rotor is a lower quality product for corrosion resistance according to their marketing. https://www.napabrakes.com/products/rotors/ultra-premium.html

There are lots of past discussions about coated rotors here. I do not think we ever came to any conclusions. Some think that the NAPA product is supplied by Raybestos. Maybe the ultra premiums are the Raybestos specialty rotors with a complete coating....it has been suggested before. The Premiums have just the hat and edges protected. The ultra premiums have 100% protection (inside the vanes, etc.).

Inside the vanes would seem to be important. That is about the only place where if severely rusted could cause one to toss a rotor for rust alone.

Could be but the new rotors I replaced them with have lasted about 5 years with no shudder problems. That's all I know.
21.gif

I had the same exact issue with cheap rotors (brakemotive).

I've used the ultra premiums with the black painted hat and vanes. The vanes rusted rather quickly, but the rotors are still in use years later. Such a dirty environment and many hot/cool cycles that I can't imagine any kind of coating lasting long.

More likely calipers, even the best rotors will warp when overheated or run through a deep puddle.

Back