85w140 in gearcase ok?

I usually use 75w90 in my outboard's lower unit. However, they only had 85w140 in stock so that is what I bought. Will be going in soon, any drawbacks to using the thicker oil? Still GL5 rated though. Outboard in question is a 2003 Suzuki DT225.

I'll go against the grain and state that any GL-5 oil is good (Marine branded is not necessary) BUT use the weight specified by your manual. My current outboard's instructions say, verbatim: "You can use any brand of lubricant that has a grade designation of API GL5 SAE 80 or 90 weight."

Use the right weight. Use marine oil if you can get it; it may help and won't hurt. But don't be afraid to use anything that meets the spec.

Last edited:
The benefit of marine gear lube will be evident if you have water leakage past the seals.With the transom down wait a few days then loosen the lower threaded plug. If you get a bit of water tricking out prior to the lube you have some seal leakage. Marine grade can handle a small amount of water without getting emulsified into the oil. Look at you tube on how to change seals. It isn"t fun.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The benefit of marine gear lube will be evident if you have water leakage past the seals.With the transom down wait a few days then loosen the lower threaded plug. If you get a bit of water tricking out prior to the lube you have some seal leakage. Marine grade can handle a small amount of water without getting emulsified into the oil. Look at you tube on how to change seals. It isn"t fun.

Snag … like where you stated "without" being emulsified … whereas some members in the past noted it tolerated water in the oil.
I have a little F60LA on a shallow water skiff … it runs in muddy/sandy conditions … just inches of water.
When I do my annual gear oil change … will get a few seconds of water from the plug and then good looking gear oil for a while. They are not mixing …

Originally Posted by 4WD

When I do my annual gear oil change … will get a few seconds of water from the plug and then good looking gear oil for a while. They are not mixing …

Fix that leak! I've run a leaky gearcase and the oil was always milky when changed, marine or no, super duper synthetic or just the plain old stuff. I didn't let it sit for a winter before changing though.

Originally Posted by whosmatt
I'll go against the grain and state that any GL-5 oil is good (Marine branded is not necessary) BUT use the weight specified by your manual. My current outboard's instructions say, verbatim: "You can use any brand of lubricant that has a grade designation of API GL5 SAE 80 or 90 weight."

Use the right weight. Use marine oil if you can get it; it may help and won't hurt. But don't be afraid to use anything that meets the spec.

Ill agree with you to a point as well!

I would say, first follow the manual for the manufacturer.
After decades of owning MerCruisers mostly salt water but now fresh I always used their gear lube, never an issue. I liked the "stickiness" of it, many years ago I tried Pennzoil marine gear lube since I now boat in fresh water not as big a deal, felt so light and non sticky I drained it a couple weeks later and put the merc back in. Here is an interesting test, get some merc gear lube on your hands and try to wash it off, you just cant, then try the Pennzoil and its no problem washing it off ... interesting.

Well fast forward to today! For the first time I own a Volvo Penta. Anyway, manual says to use Volvo Penta Gear Lube or Mobil 1 (formally Mobilube SCH) Delvac gear lube which is what I am about to put in with no reservations simply because Volvo says to choose only those two, its also ref GL5. Im kind of excited actually, never knew about Delvac gear lube, seems it is used in some high end vehicles(among Porsche enthusiasts) in addition to the heavy duty commercial applications which its designed for, also has the MT spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by whosmatt

Ill agree with you to a point as well!

I would say, first follow the manual for the manufacturer.
After decades of owning MerCruisers mostly salt water but now fresh I always used their gear lube, never an issue. I liked the "stickiness" of it, many years ago I tried Pennzoil marine gear lube since I now boat in fresh water not as big a deal, felt so light and non sticky I drained it a couple weeks later and put the merc back in. Here is an interesting test, get some merc gear lube on your hands and try to wash it off, you just cant, then try the Pennzoil and its no problem washing it off ... interesting.

Well fast forward to today! For the first time I own a Volvo Penta. Anyway, manual says to use Volvo Penta Gear Lube or Mobil 1 (formally Mobilube SCH) Delvac gear lube which is what I am about to put in with no reservations simply because Volvo says to choose only those two, its also ref GL5. Im kind of excited actually, never knew about Delvac gear lube, seems it is used in some high end vehicles(among Porsche enthusiasts) in addition to the heavy duty commercial applications which its designed for, also has the MT spec.

Well there you go. I stand by my recommendation, specifically the part that is RTFM
smile.gif

The Marine Gear oil is just automotive gear oil "packaged for a different market" according to the rep I spoke to at a major oil company several years ago.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Snag … like where you stated "without" being emulsified … whereas some members in the past noted it tolerated water in the oil.
I have a little F60LA on a shallow water skiff … it runs in muddy/sandy conditions … just inches of water.

You should have the lower unit vacuum tested for a leak. Prob shaft seal may not be 100%. Also new gaskets for the drain plugs.

You should have the lower unit vacuum tested for a leak. Prob shaft seal may not be 100%. Also new gaskets for the drain plugs.
If you are going to test it, you need to test it for pressure and vacuum. I go up to about 15 psi of pressure AFTER DRAINING OUT THE OIL, then test vacuum to whatever my hand pump will pull. I modified some fittings to adapt to my old radiator pressure tester, works fantastic.

The recommendation that a gear oil for marine use has water handling capabilities is really determined by the OEM specification. Some have no requirements while others do. One has a requirement that the oil maintain a stable emulsion of 25% water while maintaining its high load carrying capabilities. You don't necessarily have this performance in an automotive type of gear oil.

Back