Resturant pricing up

Tired of eating TV dinners at home I decided to go to APPLEBEES here is Cape Coral, FL. I googled the price of the 6 oz steak with two side and it was the same $9.99 as always. then I went to the APPLEBEES web site to order and found it had increased to $14.99. I declined to order and question what were they thinking when the gouge like this. Ed

Go look in the stores and see what meat is selling for, especially ground beef.By me ground beef is over $6 a pound. Stock up when you find a deal. Might be rice and beans for a while. Restaurants have to deal with it too.

Last edited:
What are they thinking?

I think you should walk down the produce and fresh meat aisles on the way to the frozen foods section next time and take note of the prices on fresh food.

Our local pub prepares meals and sells them from the curb side. We try support them when we can. Also, I have a friend who owns a mini- brew in a small town north of Calgary. He is selling beer at the front door. They ran out of cans so people are bringing their own containers. It's about supporting who you can.
smile.gif

Ive not seen pricing increases around here, but the restaurants we patronize are not chains, and are byob restaurants generally, so probably had some pricing/profit margin built in from the start.

If meat processing is diminished, it's sensible that costs will rise. At the supermarket, there is an absence of deals in the meat department.

Order from a restaurant ITSELF.

Do not be so darn lazy to call Grub Hub or any other delivery platform. They don't need windfall business.

Restaurants need the business. DO NOT give 30% of it to Grub Hub or any other delivery service.

That's just me. I'm sure a Grub Hub stockholder will be along to call me a Commie or some such.

Originally Posted by Eddie
...and question what were they thinking when the gouge like this. Ed

Two things - check out the news (there's a big deal going that can't be mentioned here) and meat prices have went up for everyone. Have you bought more TV dinners recently and maybe checked the prices of beef, pork, chicken, etc ?

The local Kroger has limited the sale of meat products to 1. Local Costco at least last week (a friend of a friend told me...)

Supplies issues.

Like others said, restaurants deal with this too.

Up to you if you want to help a local to you restaurant.

Or instead of TV dinner:

side1: mashed potatoes
-wash 4 medium sized potatoes
-peel them
-cut them in cubes
-pot + water + pinch of salt
-set boil to medium
-boil for about 15-20 minutes
-stop when fork inserted breaks cube in half
-drain "juice" in a bowl
option a - vegan: mash potatoes, add spread/margarine, add "boil juice" to your consistency likeness
option b - luxury heaven: mash potatoes, add 1/2 stick of butter, add warmed whole milk or half-n-half to your consistency likeness

side2: peas + carots
-see frozen section at wally/kroger/publix
-microwave for 1-2 minutes

main course: meat:
season with Montreal seasoning and drizzle a bit of oil. leave for at least 1/2 hour
heat pan on medium heat
sear/cook on one side 1-3 minutes
turn and same 1-3 minutes

big plate, drizzle some bbq sauce or mustard for effect, set meat + 2 dishes.
Enjoy!

Bonus: house is not on fire :p

A couple of Chinese restaurants nearby that offer take-out through a cutout in the front door no longer take credit cards and its exact cash only. They have rounded to nearest dollar. I wonder if they rounded up or down?

Originally Posted by thooks
What are they thinking?

I think you should walk down the produce and fresh meat aisles on the way to the frozen foods section next time and take note of the prices on fresh food.

^This.

When I was on my weekly shopping trip last Thursday, ground beef was over $6/lb. I paid almost half that two weeks ago.

With most restaurants closed, there should be plenty of meat products spoiling or aging somewhere.

Those good restaurant cuts usually never sold to Joe Grille

Also you don't REALLY want to eat at Applebee''s or Dennys anyhow.

At least Step up to Texas Road House or Outback or better yet - a non-chain - if the are any left in the suburbs.

If you have a microwave, Chef Bombay has great HALAL quality Indian frozen dinners that are a real treat like:

Tikka Masala or Murg Makhani or Buff Vindaloo It pretty much restaurant quality!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
With most restaurants closed, there should be plenty of meat products spoiling or aging somewhere.

Those good restaurant cuts usually never sold to Joe Grille

One would think...I'm still baffled by seeing articles in the last week or two about farmers destroying eggs and other product because they can't sell it - in fact a local producer did a huge egg giveaway with a food bank last week otherwise they'd have to destroy them. Yet at the same time I was seeing zero eggs on the shelf at the store. I get that certain products are directed towards consumers and certain are directed towards restaurants and other institutions, but in all the time we've been doing the pandemic, *no one* could figure out a way to switch production lines? Same with TP. I've seen multiple commercials from the manufacturers about how they've ramped up production, but it wasn't until last Thursday that I finally saw some (and very little at that) on the shelf at Meijer.

It takes time to turn a large ship...but shouldn't it have turned by now?

My last meat purchase from the butcher shocked me. Prices for beef is way up here. Don't know about the other meats as I have my pig in the freezer vacuum sealed. LOL

Originally Posted by Donald
A couple of Chinese restaurants nearby that offer take-out through a cutout in the front door no longer take credit cards and its exact cash only.

That's odd or different than every place I've seen around here. Here, places are only accepting debit/credit card payments and not taking cash or checks.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Tired of eating TV dinners at home I decided to go to APPLEBEES here is Cape Coral, FL. I googled the price of the 6 oz steak with two side and it was the same $9.99 as always. then I went to the APPLEBEES web site to order and found it had increased to $14.99. I declined to order and question what were they thinking when the gouge like this. Ed

Why aren't you cooking?

I have seen reports of restaurants adding a "Covid-19" surcharge onto the checks. This is a brainless idea and really irritates me. Just like when they added a minimum wage increase surcharge. Spelling out such charges smacks of making some kind of political statement.

If the restaurants need to make more profit to cover wage increases or supply increases, just raise the menu prices. Chances are that many people won't remember what the prices were last time, or if dining out is looking to be too expensive, will cut back on such activities.

When a burger, fries and a soft drink started to exceed $9.00 at many fast food restaurants due to having to pay unrealistic minimum wages, I severely curtailed buying fast food. Like from once a week to once every 6 months. Probably a healthier decision too.

What do you want to bet that a large majority of restaurants won't lower their prices once the supply prices return to normal ?

There's a big shortage of meats so it's not surprising that the cost is being transferred to the customer. The number of the covers is down, too while the expenses have remained similar so the per unit cost is up as well.

Back