Craftsman mower

One of my buddies used to put the drain oil from his SCCA race car (Valvoline 20W50 Racing if I remember correctly) in his OPE.
Don't think he ever had a problem

It'll work.. On regards to old oil. No thank you. I use fresh oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
It'll work.. On regards to old oil. No thank you. I use fresh oil

Well it has survived its fifteen years on left over oil from my Corolla OCI and seems to be doing well.

Lots of people have done this over the years, but it doesn't seem to be as popular these days.
Those old Briggs probably don't care either way, and any oil is better than no oil.

I have done that to an old 3 hp briggs that was on a pusher. I put about anything in it ..its an early 1980's model and still running today with no oil related problems at all...yeah it's getting a bit tired but still manages to run well

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Changed the oil out in the Craftsman. BS 6.75 went to some leftover top off Havoline DS Pro 10W-30.

yes..What's your point?

Last edited:
Good question … site has a section to post small engine oil changes …

I have 4 jugs of used oil plus what's in the drain pan. I should use it in the mowers but one only holds 40 ounces and the other holds 18 ounces. There's always two unopened quarts of oil around.

I had a tiller with 5 B&S that was wornout BUT still started and ran well. Just needed oil 2X 1/2 tank of fuel. Used the 15W50 out of my motorcycle for about 5 years, then someone wanted it or ran away on its own Oh well. I bet it would still be going.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I have 4 jugs of used oil plus what's in the drain pan. I should use it in the mowers but one only holds 40 ounces and the other holds 18 ounces. There's always two unopened quarts of oil around.

Why would you put used oil in a mower? If I'm going through the trouble of changing the oil, I'm using new oil. May as well just keep the old oil in the mower instead of putting used oil in.
33.gif

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger

Why would you put used oil in a mower? If I'm going through the trouble of changing the oil, I'm using new oil. May as well just keep the old oil in the mower instead of putting used oil in.
33.gif

I'm not planning on using old oil. However, like others have said, old oil from your car is likely still good enough for a lawn mower. I'm sure there right but I'm still not comfortable with it.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Changed the oil out in the Craftsman. BS 6.75 went to some leftover top off Havoline DS Pro 10W-30.

I've got a 16 year old Craftsman with the 6.75 Briggs. Great engine. Starts on the first pull, everytime.

Back