Buying farm direct meat

I am looking to buy a 1/2 beef, half hog, and maybe some chickens from local (within 90 miles) farmers. Never bought direct before. From those that have done this before, anything I should know?

all I can add is I've done that for years now from a local farmer , never had any problems

Yes, a number of farmers around here are glad to have any direct customers as they are slaughtering with no restaurant business now. It's reported that especially pork and eggs are mostly that market with way less sold at the grocery. I didn't realize that.

Do they choose the processor? If not, you may want to call ahead and get a spot reserved. (Hopefully they've done that already.) They're about 2 months back logged here.

What's your price per lb on the beef? Here it's about $.9-1.00 per lb plus processing.

*Around here, I've heard you can't even get a chest freezer at the moment.

Last edited:
If you are going to be getting a lot of meat it needs to be vacuum sealed so it will last.

I think some places that are not truly trust worthy may not not give you all the top cuts that were part of the steer. So if there was 10 pounds of filet mignon in your half of a steer they might supply you with 5 pounds vs the real 10 that should have been there. They might give you 5 lbs of beef from another steer so the weight was proper.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
I am looking to buy a 1/2 beef, half hog, and maybe some chickens from local (within 90 miles) farmers. Never bought direct before. From those that have done this before, anything I should know?

Most local butchers will have a handful of farms that they deal with, and will recommend. The butcher will also be happy to go through a cut sheet with you, and explain all the different options to you (thickness of cuts, what you can get for roasts vs. ground, etc).

I would hope the farmer ages his beef. Had beef which wasn't aged and it was not that good. I would assume he knows what he is doing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rob_Roy

Most local butchers will have a handful of farms that they deal with, and will recommend.

This. If you know of a butcher with a good reputation, ask them who you can buy the beef from. We buy a quarter beef from a local farmer, then pick it up from the butcher and pay him for the processing. Been doing it for many years.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Do they choose the processor? If not, you may want to call ahead and get a spot reserved. (Hopefully they've done that already.) They're about 2 months back logged here.

What's your price per lb on the beef? Here it's about $.9-1.00 per lb plus processing.

Yes to the slaughterhouse and you can forget a freezer at the moment. My daughter's freezer died
and they went to local businesses and they just laughed when she asked about buying a freezer.
They think it may be 6-8 months before we get more freezers (many are made with Chinese parts)

Originally Posted by Donald
If you are going to be getting a lot of meat it needs to be vacuum sealed so it will last.

I think some places that are not truly trust worthy may not not give you all the top cuts that were part of the steer. So if there was 10 pounds of filet mignon in your half of a steer they might supply you with 5 pounds vs the real 10 that should have been there. They might give you 5 lbs of beef from another steer so the weight was proper.

Vacuum seal is the only way to go. A trust worthy slaughterhouse is an imperative. Ask around.

Does the owner pick where he carries the beef for cut up?

I worked as a meat-cutter in highschool for a bit. Guessing it's probably not all the same cow. Just a grouping of what you would expect from one. Some places can vacuum seal it for you. Some can't do any real processing and you end up with a bit of a struggle if you need to cut it yourself. I've not purchased meat this way, but family members have. They had good results and paid less.

We used to split a yearling cow annually among family. Find the small town butcher that can process the cow for you and ask him where to get the cow from. He usually has experience with numerous farmers and will be the one preparing for you anyway. We got ours from a town 1/2 hour away in the country. Lots of good beef around Calgary that doesn't come from Cargill, etc.

This was our source (prices in Canadian dollarettes):

http://www.purecountrymeats.com/

Last edited:
Just know that you will have a LOT of meat - more than you imagined.

And Beef needs to be aged to be tasty.

I don like the idea of freezing quality meat.

We eat very little meat. I know people are concerned about meat shortages. In our town we have two large butchers (Wengers and Groffs) which supply products throughout the state. Not a hint of shortages here.

some of our local farmers have started selling "direct" to the public... but they're only selling the whole animal..the slaughter/butchering is up to you.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by dlundblad

Yes to the slaughterhouse and you can forget a freezer at the moment. My daughter's freezer died
and they went to local businesses and they just laughed when she asked about buying a freezer.
They think it may be 6-8 months before we get more freezers (many are made with Chinese parts)

My brother's chest freezer bit the dust last week. He can't even buy a used freezer.

Careful with butchers/lockers/meat purveyors. Vacuum packaged meats that have been brined in tenderizer to make them edible after being carved from milk cows that have aged out......Probably not a more crooked venture out there. Makes used car salesmen look like altar boys. If you find someone honest and trustworthy grab hold and don't let go.

Where in WI are you?

We only buy beef from farmers. Also some butchers are better than others.

My brother and his girlfriend's brother raise beef and sell it to people who want to do exactly what you want to do.
A couple of things to remember: Beef must be raised proper to be tender and taste good. Do you know the beef seller? Make sure he's not selling you a ten-year-old cow.
How was it raised? The last two months of the cow's life is very important to the tenderness and taste of the beef.
Have you got an appointment with the processor? A year ago, they didn't have much work. Now they have a 7-12 month wait.
Do you have a big enough freezer to store all this? A half a beef is a lot of beef and most places around me are sold out of deep freezers.
A 1/4 beef is a lot and a 1/2 a beef should about fill your big deep freezer.
Good luck. I know a lot of first-time buyers will be disappointed because they got taken advantage of in these trying times.

Back