Subframe bushes - Effect on ride?

Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Diamante.

I find that it rides a bit harsher than it should.

My shocks absorbers, suspension bushes, springs and strut top mounts are all fine (most are replaced with genuine Mitsubishi parts, bar for the shock absorbers).

To give an idea, even with original 160K mile shock absorbers it rode harsher than a friend's Diamante with lowering springs and sports shocks.
I upgraded to Boge/Sachs standard replacement shock absorbers and the ride got a little bit harsher, though there was much more body control.

The subframe bushes are original still and it is the only part of the puzzle that hasn't been touched so far.
But how much of this harshness can be attributed to these subframe bushes?

It's not a VR-X with the sport suspension, is it?

I would expect too-hard old subframe bushings to increase noise and vibration, and shattered, mostly missing bushings to clunk. But harshness? I'd look to your shocks or tires.

Aussie or Japanese ? The Aussie ones had struts, the Japanese version had twin lower control arms and top arms.

It's the Australian version, so same as the US Diamante (imported from Australia anyway).

The car rides fine but over small sharp bumps it's pretty bad.
Increasing tire pressure makes the issue really bad (it is not a tire fault as I swapped them for some Pirrelis).

It is not a VR-X, just runs standard suspension.
I've been in a fair few of these cars and they've always had a very comfortable, soft, plush ride.
Mine feels like it has stiff suspension (but handles like it has soft suspension).

I always thought the Aussie ones rode better than the more complicated Japanese model. And much simpler too.

Back