5 Dollar A Month Cell Phone Plan

I just started my 2nd year using Red Pocket Mobile's 5 Dollar a month plan. You get 100 minutes of talk, 100 minutes of text and 500 mb of data per month.

I am around Wi-Fi much of the time and have a free Google Voice number and use the Google Voice App on my phone to make and receive calls, sms, & mms. Have used their free service for years.

With Red Pocket you have options to use Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc., as long as your phone supports it.

They offer other plans too and you can find them on EBay.

There are several You Tube Videos about their service too.

I just bought a month of their $19 unlimited talk and text with 3GB of service plans. I'm going to try them out for a month and if everything is good, I'm going to get their 5/GB a month annual plans for $240.

When ur 100mb data is.used up.. Are the data speeds throttled or data suspended until.the next plan cycle?

Another alternative to the big carriers that I have had very good experience with is Xfinity Mobile - only bad is its only available if you are a Comcast/Xfinity cable customer. Have been with them for almost 2.5 years now and never an issue and service and coverage has honestly been better than my time with Sprint and AT&T while also saving me quite a bit of $$$.

Unlimited talk and text, $12 per gig of data or you can just do $45 for unlimited data - it piggy backs off the Verizon network. Phones are set to automatically log into and bounce around Xfinity hotspots so even if you are away from your home or work wifi you can avoid using data if you are on a hotspot. My bill last month for ~1.55 gigs of off-wifi of data was ~$26.

Last edited:
I've effectively been paying about $5/month to TracFone for years, but don't get (or need) nearly that many minutes.

What does "100 minutes of text" mean? I.e., now many "minutes" does Red Pocket charge for a text?

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
When ur 100mb data is.used up.. Are the data speeds throttled or data suspended until.the next plan cycle?

you are dead . what you get is what you get with red pocket. you can add more data if wanted. then it will reset next cycle. i was on them for a year and had no issues ,but i never went over my cap.

one thing on these plans is never do a speed test when on cellular. speed test eat up a bunch of data real quick.

i am thinking this could be a good alternative for my work phone. at $5/month i'll shut the phone off after hours etc. cant stand the job having my personal cell..

Originally Posted by SrDriver
I just started my 2nd year using Red Pocket Mobile's 5 Dollar a month plan. You get 100 minutes of talk, 100 minutes of text and 500 mb of data per month.

I am around Wi-Fi much of the time and have a free Google Voice number and use the Google Voice App on my phone to make and receive calls, sms, & mms. Have used their free service for years.

With Red Pocket you have options to use Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc., as long as your phone supports it.

They offer other plans too and you can find them on EBay.

There are several You Tube Videos about their service too.

Past Straight talk user here (it was always reliable) then moved onto Cricket Wireless for years (it was always reliable) now have been with Redpocket with ATT service for the last year.
Each change to another service over the last decade was simply price. They all provided great service, call, data and messaging and always on the ATT network. Price always wins and that is what is great when you can afford to buy your own phone and not get stuck with contracts with the big guys.

Being free is a great feeling, I can switch at anytime any month and go to any carrier, blows my mind that people sign contracts for phone service! (yes I used to, too)

Ok, back to Redpocket. same great ATT service, 3 lines, unlimited data with 15gb (5gb per line) per month and of course unlimited text, talk. Total actual payment per month for all three lines, I repeat actual payment is $70.18 Thats 70 dollars and 18 cents.

Not a bad deal.. If for some reason your SIM card needed replacement.. What's the downtime in receiving a replacement? Also how's the tech/customer support? Having vz att t mobile cricket prepaid etc.. You can go to a store have a SIM swapped out get tech help customer service etc.

Not a bad deal.. If for some reason your SIM card needed replacement.. What's the downtime in receiving a replacement? Also how's the tech/customer support? Having vz att t mobile cricket prepaid etc.. You can go to a store have a SIM swapped out get tech help customer service etc.

Hey Olddude.

I honestly can not answer your question. I have had cell phones for the last 20+ years both for me and multiple phones for my family.
I have never had to replace a SIM card. Again, for me, price always wins, they all run on the same infrastructure, amazes me the power of marketing. Its just a phone and data plan! No rocket science here. But people think for some reason it matters.

I will say for anyone that may need a lot of hand holding, RedPocket is most likely not for you. Stick with Cricket or Straight Talk, Mint, Consumer Cellular and another one or two which are most likely mentioned din these forums.
RedPocket is about price and performance, only time I dealt with them was setting up a phone and did it through text chat, it was instant that they IM'd me a set up script for my data plan when I had an issue for a new phone.

Last edited:
cant stand the job having my personal cell..

This is where google voice comes in, my IT gut helped me set it up on my cell so when I call a customer it doesn't show my number but shows the google voice number. This helps but it won't stop customers from calling out side of work hours, I found that out real quick
smile.gif

I been using freedompop gsm for free service its like 500 mins 500 texts and 200 mb but its free.They use either AT&T or T mobile depending where you are.I actually have like 10 active sims I paid 1c for.The only thing is you have to sign up for paid service then remember to switch other than that its a good deal its free.They used to have this for cdma Ting took over idk much about them they have a 6.00 plan.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post, I signed RedPocket. I looked at Consumer Cellular, Cricket, Straight Talk, Mint Mobile, FreedomPop, and Red Pocket.

The cheapest is FreedomPop I think, not sure, I'm still looking at that plan, it may be Wi-Fi only for calls, texts, and data.

I went with RedPocket, $100 per year, 500 talk minutes/month, 500 texts, 500 MB, per month. $5/month if you use only 100 minutes/month, you can add more.

RedPocket's unlimited talk/texts 1GB data is $17/month, Mint Mobile is $15/month for unlimited talk/texts with 400MB data at 4G, after 400MB it's unlimited but at a lower speed.

Third is Cricket, Straight Talk is buy minutes but more expensive. Consumer Cellular's customer service stinks. Few years ago I called 3 separate times and was on hold for 30 minutes then disconnected.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post, I signed RedPocket. I looked at Consumer Cellular, Cricket, Straight Talk, Mint Mobile, FreedomPop, and Red Pocket.

The cheapest is FreedomPop I think, not sure, I'm still looking at that plan, it may be Wi-Fi only for calls, texts, and data.

I went with RedPocket, $100 per year, 500 talk minutes/month, 500 texts, 500 MB, per month. $5/month if you use only 100 minutes/month, you can add more.

RedPocket's unlimited talk/texts 1GB data is $17/month, Mint Mobile is $15/month for unlimited talk/texts with 400MB data at 4G, after 400MB it's unlimited but at a lower speed.

Third is Cricket, Straight Talk is buy minutes but more expensive. Consumer Cellular's customer service stinks. Few years ago I called 3 separate times and was on hold for 30 minutes then disconnected.

Thanks for this info! I'm currently on Straight Talk and am looking to change plans.

I have been using redpocket for 3 years now. The at&t 5gb plan for $20 a month. Never had to deal with customer service after porting our numbers.

great info from just last year. looked at redpocket but not on e-bay, lots of options for light users like me. seen redpocket requires a fax to terminate + although customer service may be weak once phone gets set up with the correct APN + number gets ported you should be good to go. for me price rules as 20 min a month with rollovers for ATT go phone plan has served me well, BUT having just got a new but older smart phone for 4G i cant get ANY data without a $$$$ plan from them. i hate to throw $$$ away so i have been looking at the no-name providers to get the ability to send a pic now + then. thanks for all the comments as reviews showed redpocket less than great with lots of spam sent, BUT reviews are NOT always reliable IMO. even thou i dont actually know any posters anyone can post a fake comment on reviews!!! you cant even trust comments on prescription meds let alone a simple phone plan!!!

just checked redpocket e-bay great lo cost yearly plans but out of GSM sims

Back