2016 Golf 1.8T engine leaks

My sister took her 2016 Golf 1.8 in for a routine oil change this past week. The shop (indy VW shop and not dealer) noted that there was evidence of oil leaking near the bellhousing from the rear main seal. It was also noted that there was some coolant residue on the water pump housing, so it also appears to be leaking.

I did a bit of research and it sounds like the rear main seals are failing on this generation of engine. Car has just under 50,000 km so it will be going in shortly to VW to see if they will do the repairs under warranty. I am hoping that they do and that the replacement seal is an improved part from the original. Anyone with the 1.8 EA888 have these issues before and were successful in having it done under warranty?

Check for hard vacuum on the dip stick tube, oil fill cap. This indicates a bad separater pcv valve. This will cause a rear seal failure if not caught and corrected early. usually there is a noise coming through the vent hole on the pcv valve. Distinctive sound.

Last edited:
Back