Ridgeline VCM = Oil consumption?

Link

You can find oil consumption topics in any car forum and there are often many reasons for it - engine break-in, engine type etc. Honda has had its fair share of oil burners over the years and I'm curious if the 3.5L V6 with the VCM is one of them. Has anyone experienced VCM increasing oil consumption?

"Yes, it's the VCM causing the engine to burn a bit of oil. I guess you can all it normal operations but I don't like my vehicles burning any oil. At 7000 miles the oil level on my BE was 3/4 below the full mark. Currently I'm at 10k mile mark with no signs of oil burning after disabling the VCM with the VCMuzzler"

We had a 2009 Pilot with that same engine. We traded it in with just over 100,000 miles. Ours didn't burn any noticeable oil between OCIs. I used the MM and changed using an OEM filter (most of the time) and synthetic 5w-20. I did change the spark plugs around 95,000. All looked good except for the center one against the firewall (I think it was 3 or 4). It was pretty black and covered with carbon. If I remember right, that is one that gets shut off a lot when it went to 4 and 3 cylinders.

I'm no expert, but it really seems most people who have issues with the cylinder deactivation systems live in colder climates. At least that's my observation looking at the Pilot and now the Silverado forums????

Originally Posted by buster
Link

You can find oil consumption topics in any car forum and there are often many reasons for it - engine break-in, engine type etc. Honda has had its fair share of oil burners over the years and I'm curious if the 3.5L V6 with the VCM is one of them. Has anyone experienced VCM increasing oil consumption?

"Yes, it's the VCM causing the engine to burn a bit of oil. I guess you can all it normal operations but I don't like my vehicles burning any oil. At 7000 miles the oil level on my BE was 3/4 below the full mark. Currently I'm at 10k mile mark with no signs of oil burning after disabling the VCM with the VCMuzzler"

My 3.5 consumed a full quart during break in (0-7K) - I was mildly alarmed, as to me thats a bunch - but has been tight as a drum in the past 20K consuming about 1/2 quart per 10K in mixed driving towing hauling beds of material.

I had heard the early versions burned some oil. Mine does not. Early versions had more modes, I think 3,4,& 6, where this latest iteration is withe r3 or 6 and has a 2 mode motor mount to counter. When its engaged it feel like driving a stick shift car in top gear and letting it lug just a bit vs downshift, although I can feel and hear it Im also listening for it and Im always hypersensitive to mechanical feels and sounds.

I'd say my truck spends a bunch of time in VCM mode. I Live in the foothills of the sierras and find my truck in VCM a lot during downhill runs to town and for road trips. For an AWD 4 door midsize pickup to pull 30 MPG (on a 300 mile run) is simply astounding MPG even factoring in display error

The only think Ive ever had that consumes less is my rx400H's 3MZFE which uses no discernible amount at all between 10K OCI's, but in terms of HP/ CC its a kitten compared to the Honda 3.5. 3MZFE (rx400h) 208 / 212 / leaning on the electrics to make the rig snappy vs the hondas comparatively sizzling 280/262

I'm impressed with the Honda 3.5 J series mill I'd never pull the VCM or mess with it at all.

Last edited:
My Pilot w/70k miles doesn't use a drop of oil. About 30k of those miles were with the VCM disabled.

A handful of oil changes were done at the dealer, but I mainly use whatever 0w20 is on sale.

Interesting, thanks.
cheers3.gif

Ridgeline is a great truck. I'm impressed with it.

Originally Posted by buster
Link

I don't know about these engines, but from what I've read here the VCM muzzler is the way to go on these engines.

I'm debating grabbing a muzzler for our incoming '17 MDX 3.5L. It only has 23K miles. I figure I should do it.

We've had our 2010 V6 accord since new. It always used about a 1qt over 5k miles. It started to foul plugs around 40-50k miles and had the effected cylinders repaired under warranty. After that I installed a VCM Tuner and it doesn't use a drop. Under warranty I ran 5w20 and now 5w30. Currently has about 90k on it.

I've maintained my aunt's 2015 Pilot since new and now has 131k miles and go by the maintenance minder which sets off at about 7.5k miles. Absolutely no oil burning, dipstick still at the full mark. I use either Mobil 1, Castrol, or Pennzoil 0w20 whichever is cheaper at Walmart. She does mostly highway miles with the cruise on, so lots of VCM use. She only averages about 20.x mpg. I thought about buying a VCM muzzler but it's not my car.

Her previous was a 2007 Pilot with the VCM that blew a spark plug stripping the block at 130k miles. She only did oil changes with that car at the $5 specials.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BryanTDI12
I've maintained my aunt's 2015 Pilot since new and now has 131k miles and go by the maintenance minder which sets off at about 7.5k miles. Absolutely no oil burning, dipstick still at the full mark. I use either Mobil 1, Castrol, or Pennzoil 0w20 whichever is cheaper at Walmart. She does mostly highway miles with the cruise on, so lots of VCM use. She only averages about 20.x mpg. I thought about buying a VCM muzzler but it's not my car.

Her previous was a 2007 Pilot with the VCM that blew a spark plug stripping the block at 130k miles. She only did oil changes with that car at the $5 specials.

If it isn't burning oil, and she isnt complaining about it, why would you bother re-engineering something that isn't broken?

UD

Last edited:
That's my point. I've read about the horrors of VCM and oil burning and installing the muzzler will prevent it if installed when new. With 130k miles and no oil consumption and no complaints about vibration, why re-engineer something that's not broken. I don't know why other VCM owners have issues but I'm just providing a data point.

I'm actually very curious how the newer VCM 3.5's work out.

My parents are on their 3rd Pilot (one of each generation - first two gens were EX with no VCM and their current 3rd gen is EX-L w/VCM), they do 95% rural (55 MPH speed limit) driving so it is active pretty regularly and they just follow the MM and bring it to Honda for oil changes for whatever 5W-20 they drop in there. Last time I drove it it had around 63k miles and the VCM kicking on and off felt like a misfire shudder - I doubt 90% of consumers would ever notice as it was ever so slight. My mom has not been too terribly pleased with the 3rd gen compared to her 1st and 2nd gen - if this one turns into an oil burner it will probably be her last Honda.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pezzy669
their current 3rd gen is EX-L w/VCM), they do 95% rural (55 MPH speed limit) driving so it is active pretty regularly and they just follow the MM and bring it to Honda for oil changes for whatever 5W-20 they drop in there.

My MDX requires 0w20 full syn. why are they using 5w20 in the Honda?

My sig accord has VCM and used a tiny bit of oil, but since putting a VCM muzzler on it there has been no noticeable consumption, of course my gen Accord is an early iteration and was known for issues, still, it's a million times smoother and better to drive without VCM robbing it of the on-demand power on the highway

I bought S-VCM, self adjusting so no need to mess with resistors going from a cold to a hot climate, it also has a fail safe in the event of a true overheat

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Originally Posted by pezzy669
their current 3rd gen is EX-L w/VCM), they do 95% rural (55 MPH speed limit) driving so it is active pretty regularly and they just follow the MM and bring it to Honda for oil changes for whatever 5W-20 they drop in there.

My MDX requires 0w20 full syn. why are they using 5w20 in the Honda?

2017 Ridgeline calls for 0W-20 as well.

Wouldn't be surprised the dealer drops in 5 from a "mystery barrel" .

Originally Posted by tbm5690
From what I hear quite a few run 5w-20 or an Xw-30. I'm considering switching to 0w-30 on my next MDX change.

Sure lots do.

I learned here 0W-20 typically has a higher quality base stock than the 5W, so ill gravitate toward my fav brands 0W.

Im sure a 30 would be fine, as well but I don't know what its buying me aside from being a bit harder to pump around and run a bit hotter, the mills belt is easy on the oil and doesnt seem to shear down from the OUA's Ive looked at so a good 20 stays in grade - unlike my titan which will shear just about anything down 10 points on a 7500 mile sump.

Vtec activation could be altered with thicker oil but I doubt by much.

Ive already towed max weight up the j2807 hill on a 110 degree day and it was fine.

Perhaps when Im up around the 100K mark and its a little looser Ill run some thicker oil.

UD

Looking in our 17 MDX manual yesterday on the oil section is says 0w20, then in the back "specification " section, it says use 5w30. Lololol. WTH?

Back