Lucas Gun Oil (Red)

I picked up the above fire arm oil - no smell , good viscosity , stays put where you place it and the red color shows exactly where it is being placed .
Offers rust protection , doesn't dry out too much and appears to have sufficient good lubrication capabilities - all for like under $4.00 per 2 oz. bottle .
The Lucas "red" at of all places at an auto parts store where they were running a counter promotion with about 50 bottles in a open container for $3.85 per 2 oz. bottle .
So far the Lucas "red" checks all of the boxes but again , for about 40% more per bottle the Lucas Extreme (Green) may be better for semi - auto slides and such (due to higher viscosity) .
There is also a Lucas CLP that looks promising but I have tried this yet either .

You can buy a Quart of Marvel Mystery oil for $3.99 and a Quart of ATF ( Your choice) for $2.99, mix the two and get 64 ounces of gun lube for $6.98 which comes out to $.43 per 2 ounce bottles that is Red and works well in guns.
What I have been using for years.

I've been using a mix of 50% ATF 25% STP and 25% Mobil1 30wt for about 30 years now based on the recommendation of a NG armorer I used to shoot with. It's the perfect mix of penetration, clinginess and temperature resistance.

IN Nam, the guys used kerosene , worked ok. Ive tried here , works great, smelly, you know....

Last edited:
Truth be known there is more personal preference and belief than actual fact of superior lubricating ability with weapons oils.

As long as the selected oil meets the needs of the weapon and isn't hygroscopic or gums when faced with heat from friction and firing or has some other adverse property- the weapon will function properly.

Anything beyond that is individual heuristics.

Personally I clean in the parts cleaner (because its already there) and unless customer specified other, it will get a straight weight ND engine oil- and that's ONLY because its available because its my curing fluid and displacement media post bluing.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
IN Nam, the guys used kerosene , worked ok. Ive tried here , works great, smelly, you know....

Odorless lamp oil.....
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I picked up the above fire arm oil - no smell , good viscosity , stays put where you place it and the red color shows exactly where it is being placed .
Offers rust protection , doesn't dry out too much and appears to have sufficient good lubrication capabilities - all for like under $4.00 per 2 oz. bottle .
The Lucas "red" at of all places at an auto parts store where they were running a counter promotion with about 50 bottles in a open container for $3.85 per 2 oz. bottle .
So far the Lucas "red" checks all of the boxes but again , for about 40% more per bottle the Lucas Extreme (Green) may be better for semi - auto slides and such (due to higher viscosity) .
There is also a Lucas CLP that looks promising but I have tried this yet either .

I'm currently using Lucas "green" extreme on my firearms that I picked up at a gun show. For the reasons you mention, I like it. I've had some extended range sessions with it and had no problems. So far I've used it on a Glock, Springfield, and Taurus (all semiauto) with no issues. For cleaning, I use M-Pro cleaner--works great, no smell.

Battlefield Vegas runs Lucas oil, but I'm not sure which one. I'm guessing the red. They run it on all their guns and they love it. They put more rounds downrange than anyone I can think of and they run their guns HARD, mostly full-auto. I'd say that is as good a testimonial for Lucas as you'll find. Look them up on Arfcom or just call them up and ask them. They'll rave about it, and they've tried MANY. They like that the Lucas stays put and doesn't spray all over the operator (customer).

I run the red in all my guns but I've got some green, too, in case I go hunting in cold, cold winter temps. I've also thought of just using Mobil 1 0w20 in those conditions.

Haven't been able to find fault using the Break-free products over the past few years. CLP for quick cleans or on-the-range lube and LP for after you get home and due a proper clean.

buck91
For me Ballistol (CLP) quick cleans better than Breakfree CLP. But I am a fan of Breakfree LP for a finishing lube / protectant.
I like several products I don't currently use. Besides owning several handguns and several various centerfires, I also partake in the sport of blackpowder / muzzleloaders since 1991 and those guns will easily determine what's a good cleaner and protectant - versus what's not.

It's the nature of the Knight / Thompson Center / CVA beasts. They will inform you if you missed getting out the copper, lead or plastic. They will begin to show bore rust quickly, if your protectant is inferior.

Last edited:
Interesting to hear that about ballistol. I know its well regarded. I do like to keep within the same product line when using a CLP and an LP to ensure maximum compatibility but its not a hard and fast rule, either. I have never had an issue with how BF CLP cleans in my centerfire or rimfire firearms and always thought it did a fairly good job!

The Lucas CLP works well; after cleaning up, then any excess usually wipe hands on anything leather near by, sucks it up.

Back