Bought a CPO 2017 GMC Sierra SLE 4x4 Double Cab

This afternoon, I went to get a new to me 2017 GMC Sierra 4x4 Double cab. This is the first time that I've bought a vehicle that was Certified Pre-Owned, and I think it was a benefit to me. I've been skeptical in the past, but I am seeing value in the CPO program...especially when the truck is priced to the point where you don't see the cost of the CPO included in it.

The dealer had this truck in their inventory for less than a week. Once I saw it and drove it, I acted fast.

It is a 2017 GMC Sierra SLE 4x4 Double cab with only 15,950 miles on it. I'll start with a picture:

[Linked Image]

The clincher on this truck was the Max Trailering Package, and the trailering mirrors from the factory. You might have noticed the "not so typical for a half-ton" mirrors in the above picture.

The Max Trailering Package includes a heavier duty 9.76" rear axle geared to 3.73:1, trailer brake controller, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning, heavier duty rear springs, and increased rear GAWR. Added to it were the black trailering mirrors with power adjustable and heated glass, turn signals built in, rear facing LED guidance lamps, and amber front facing LED lamps. The mirrors manually pull out by about 5" for when pulling a trailer. I've seen a lot of pickup trucks, but I'd never seen one sitting on the lot, set up like this. The Max Trailering Package and the trailering mirrors added well over $2000 to the original sticker price of the truck.

[Linked Image]

Also: Dual power heated seats, 20" wheels, dual automatic climate control, full length console, factory installed 6" running boards, LED lights in the bed, remote start, rear window defogger, navigation, wireless phone charger, tilt and telescoping wheel, and a GM rubber bed mat.

This truck, as an SLE model, has more optional stuff than some of the more expensive SLT's that I looked at.

The CPO report let me know that they changed the oil and filter, replaced the cabin air filter, rotated the tires, and replaced the battery. Installed was a new ACDelco Professional Group 94 battery, which is priced at $179 at O'Reilly's. Bonus!

The CPO certification extends the existing new car bumper to bumper warranty by another 1 year or 12,000 miles, and extends the powertrain warranty out to 7 years or 100,000 miles. All warrantied repairs are $0 deductible. Maintenance is covered for 2 years or 24,000 miles, which is probably just a couple of oil changes and tire rotations...but I'll take it. Plus, anything that qualifies for CPO must have a clean CarFax report... for whatever that is worth. Plus, they turned the SiriusXM radio back on, and provide roadside assistance if ever needed.

The 275/55-20 tires all have 9/32" of tread, and the brake pads still have plenty of meat on them. Along with a new battery... no worries on any of those.

I was happy to have bought it over in Indiana, as I am starting to hate living in the State of Illinois in the worst way. Getting to the point where I'm wanting to get out of here... the sooner the better.

The previous owner had the bed sprayed, and had the bed cover installed by Line-X. I have a set of Weathertech mudflaps on the way, along with chrome door handle covers. At that point, it is going to be drive, drive, drive!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice truck!

I came home the other day and my wife was surfing new GMC's. They are nice trucks, but I can't get over the GM square fenderwell over round tire look.

The Max trailer package is awesome. Much better gearing and rear end for towing.

Awesome truck! My dad has a '15 Silverado that he really enjoys. I am always impressed by its refinement when I drive it. It's been very good to us so far.
I'm assuming yours has the 5.3? If so, it's a nice engine. Quiet, smooth, reasonably efficient. And the AFM is nearly seamless in its activation.
Here's to many happy, trouble-free miles for you!

Congratulations, excellent looking truck. I would personally skip on the chrome handles, factory red paint looks terrific

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Plus, they turned the SiriusXM radio back on, and provide roadside assistance if ever needed.

You always get a free 2 month trial of Sirius every time you buy a car. You can also call them up and they always do a "promo" where you can get 12 months of Sirius for $60 or 6 months for $30. Easier to do the year so you don't have to call as often. You sometimes has to fight for the $60 as they sometimes start off at a higher price before they finally relent to $60. I've been doing it for years so I just tell them not to play games with me.

Nice! Can't say I've seen a max towing SLE before. I guess since it is the SLE you are prohibited from the glorious 6.2 engine.

WOW !! that's a rare odd ball truck in a good way lol Loaded like a SLT with a HD tow package
thumbsup2.gif

Congrats on the truck. Can't go wrong with GM !! I enjoy my old skool '01 Silverado 1500HD 6.0 LQ4 crew cab

Dave

Really nice truck. If I needed a truck, this would be the exact configuration/package I'd want.

Awesome color and the 3.73 rear end will get you out of the hole in a hurry. The towing package is totally worth the extra money and the 6.2 engine will last forever! Congrats!

Nice unit … that MTP should of added a 2 speed transfer case with 2Hi, Auto, 4Hi, 4Lo

Red and black truck....my fave. Grew up next to a family who bought NOTHING but red and black vehicles. It effected me.

Gotta agree on the chrome handles unless they prevent scratches on the red handles. "Handle scratches" are oddly disturbing.

Those mirrors are slick. I've always believed (dreamed?) that vehicles with trailering packages got assembled with more love.....but I know that's stoned thinking.

Not a bad truck for what, $8,000 ? (Ha-ha)

Best of luck with it.

Originally Posted by FirstNissan
Congratulations, excellent looking truck. I would personally skip on the chrome handles, factory red paint looks terrific

Agree … one reason I got a Z71 is to ditch chrome for mono tone.

Originally Posted by FirstNissan

Me too. Good luck with that truck. I leased a '16 Silverado double cab and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. 6 speed trans is a joke, radio would cut out if u used remote start, power seat issues, crappy Goodyear OEM tires that slipped in rain. Etc etc.

Needing a new battery with 15K miles isn't a good sign either...

Last edited:
A few things that I failed to mention... I was tired when I was typing up my original post. It had been a long day.

This truck has the 5.3 engine.

The 9.76 inch rear end that came with it (with the Max Trailering Package), is the same rear end that GM uses behind all 6.2 liter engines. It is a G80 auto locking unit as well.

Yes, it also has the two speed Autotrac transfer case. Someone else mentioned that as well.

Not sure why, but you can't get the Max Trailering package and the Autotrac transfer case together on a 2020. Autotrac is only available with the "X31" off road suspension package. That sucks.

Also curious on the 2020, even with the Max Trailering Package, it doesn't appear that you can get a 3.73 rear end anymore. 3.42 is as good as it gets. Plus, the GVW has been reduced to a maximum of 7300 pounds. It is 7600 pounds on this 2017.

I built this same truck as a 2020.. as close as I could get... on the GMC website. Sticker price of $51,480. Most dealers seem to be knocking about $9,000 off of that on new trucks, without even asking.

Back