Recent Topics
Just one more wax question.
by rrretiree7 - 06/02/20 01:49 AM
Removing stuck bolts- interesting technique
by rubberchicken - 06/02/20 12:47 AM
Unless it is a misprint?
by 340_Magnum - 06/01/20 10:25 PM
Raymond Weil 5590 Watch Battery Replacement
by maverickfhs - 06/01/20 09:22 PM
Echo SRM 230 idling high
by CDX825 - 06/01/20 08:40 PM
Walmart in Canada closing Lube and Tire Express
by Snagglefoot - 06/01/20 08:26 PM
2012 Sonic - LCA puck bushing
by Number_35 - 06/01/20 06:44 PM
Rotate mags?
by marine65 - 06/01/20 06:40 PM
Re-using good coolant?
by Jarpin - 06/01/20 06:21 PM
Best entry level riding mower
by UncleDave - 06/01/20 03:02 PM
2015 Pilot LX
by madRiver - 06/01/20 03:01 PM
charge 12v truck battery with more or less amps?
by apollo18 - 06/01/20 02:10 PM
Wash and wax in one
by rrretiree7 - 06/01/20 02:08 PM
$99 fair for wheel balance & front alignment?
by mclasser - 06/01/20 01:34 PM
Help me fix this 2001 YZF 600R
by Kurtatron - 06/01/20 12:29 PM
Super Auto filter
by cknight49090 - 06/01/20 12:20 PM
Newest Members
NewMex, RandyN11049, bbrtuning, chapys, DaaBoss
71593 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
17 registered members (buck91, deoxy4, Inspecktor, bachman, FFeng7, 1 invisible), 1,112 guests, and 32 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics306,047
Posts5,286,364
Members71,593
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Bridgestone Ecopia + - surprisingly good. #5424989 05/09/20 07:06 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 588
P
pezzy669 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 588
So I have not had good experience with prior Bridgestone tires and have always been a fan of Michelin. My certified pre-owned '16 eGolf SE came with brand new Bridgestone Ecopia + tires and I didn't feel the need to negotiate having brand new tires removed and something else put on.

I have to say while I am only about 750 miles and 2 months in with these tires they have been beyond fantastic. Extremely quiet, good traction, good water/rain performance and decent handling. The only thing I can really complain about is the sidewall flex at VW recommended pressures - they look like they are half inflated, TPMS is set to normal inflation and have not had any warnings so I know they are inflated properly.

Guess we shall see how they wear out over time. They have a 70k tread warranty which I will probably never hit (even during normal times I am only doing 600-800 miles/month) so they will age out before they wear out.


2016 Volkswagen e-Golf SE - 59k
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI - 49k - Castrol Edge Professional LL03 5W30
Re: Bridgestone Ecopia + - surprisingly good. [Re: pezzy669] #5425011 05/09/20 07:34 PM
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,900
F
FordBroncoVWJeta Offline
Offline
F
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,900
My 17 Jetta came with Ecopias from the factory. They got taken off at 2K miles because of they where so out of round. I'm not sure if I would ever put them back on, talk about a waste of money.


2017 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T - 2015 Honda CRV 2.4 - 2012 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 - 2007 Chevy Trailblazer 4.2 - 2003 Ford Taurus 3.0 Vulcan
Re: Bridgestone Ecopia + - surprisingly good. [Re: pezzy669] #5425016 05/09/20 07:43 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 551
P
PowerSurge Offline
Offline
P
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 551
Bro in law just had a set refunded under warranty (less than 1000 miles) because they would not balance. He’s now on Michelins.


1993 Porsche 964, 2001 Ford SVT F-150 Lightning, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette, 2018 Toyota Tundra and a few others
Re: Bridgestone Ecopia + - surprisingly good. [Re: pezzy669] #5425038 05/09/20 08:13 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 44,052
J
JHZR2 Offline
Global Moderator
Offline
Global Moderator
J
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 44,052
We put the ecopia e322 (something like that) on my SILs Corolla ad she was satisfied with them as four season tires. Replaced the set at 50-60k.

I’ve been happy with the Michelin Energy Saver AS tires on my accord hybrid. For vanilla cars I see no reason to avoid tires like these.

Re: Bridgestone Ecopia + - surprisingly good. [Re: pezzy669] #5425127 05/09/20 10:17 PM
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 2,522
Skippy722 Offline
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 2,522
I hope they’ve improved them, I found them to be borderline useless in the snow. Being in Georgia however, I don’t see that being an issue for you.


2019 Ram 1500 Classic
2018 Dodge Grand Caravan GT

Slight Mopar obsession
Re: Bridgestone Ecopia + - surprisingly good. [Re: pezzy669] #5425252 05/10/20 06:30 AM
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 789
M
Mainia Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 789
Originally Posted by pezzy669
So I have not had good experience with prior Bridgestone tires and have always been a fan of Michelin. My certified pre-owned '16 eGolf SE came with brand new Bridgestone Ecopia + tires and I didn't feel the need to negotiate having brand new tires removed and something else put on.

I have to say while I am only about 750 miles and 2 months in with these tires they have been beyond fantastic. Extremely quiet, good traction, good water/rain performance and decent handling. The only thing I can really complain about is the sidewall flex at VW recommended pressures - they look like they are half inflated, TPMS is set to normal inflation and have not had any warnings so I know they are inflated properly.

Guess we shall see how they wear out over time. They have a 70k tread warranty which I will probably never hit (even during normal times I am only doing 600-800 miles/month) so they will age out before they wear out.


I pulled these up, I was surprised at the high pressure speced. Must be a heavy car with the batteries. I always go higher then the side door rating that they use for comfort ride for Grandpa. I would they 46-47 psi. You can go as high as 51 psi.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=2016+vw+egolf+recommended+tire+pressure


https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=507


.


2018 Lowered Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T
2014 Toyota Rav4 AWD
2005 Honda Civic
Re: Bridgestone Ecopia + - surprisingly good. [Re: pezzy669] #5425262 05/10/20 06:48 AM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,271
B
Boomer Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,271
I put a set of these on my VW Golf Sportwagon last year and love them. Very smooth riding and excellent wet traction. here in central PA, they did quite well on snowy roads last winter. I get about 1 mpg more than i did with the Falkens that came with the car. Those were useless tires and I was glad to take them off and get rid of them.


2019 VW Passat 2.0 liter gasoline DI engine, DI, 2,700 miles, Castrol Professional VW 508 0W-20
2017 VW Golf All Track 1.8 liter gas engine DI, 25,500 miles Castrol Professional VW 505 5W-40
Re: Bridgestone Ecopia + - surprisingly good. [Re: pezzy669] #5425279 05/10/20 07:20 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,545
D
DuckRyder Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,545
Hmm, an e-Golf in Georgia... cool. Glad you’re happy with the tires.


Robert
  • 2019 Volkswagen Jetta R-Line
  • 1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445FE/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)
  • 2002 Ford Ranger XLT 4D Supercab 3.0L
Re: Bridgestone Ecopia + - surprisingly good. [Re: pezzy669] #5425283 05/10/20 07:25 AM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 965
N
NH73 Offline
Offline
N
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 965
I have the Ecopia on my 2017 RAV 4 from the factory. They seem to work fine, but we don't run stuff to the niles either. Our driveway is on a hill, when it snows, we can drive the RAV4 forward up it, but not reverse. Not sure if that the tires, or the design of the vehicle.


2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
2012 Gravely ZT XL 48 w/ Kawasaki FR730
Re: Bridgestone Ecopia + - surprisingly good. [Re: Skippy722] #5425289 05/10/20 07:32 AM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 99
T
Tjbouwhu Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 99
Originally Posted by Skippy722
I hope they’ve improved them, I found them to be borderline useless in the snow. Being in Georgia however, I don’t see that being an issue for you.

I agree, I had a set of these Bridgestone Ecopia HL 422 Plus that came on a new 2018 SUV...borderline useless on wet roads, and useless in snow. I can’t have that living in norther Michigan. Replaced them last fall with around 23K on them as the tires will well worn anyways, was not going through another winter with these.


Tom
Re: Bridgestone Ecopia + - surprisingly good. [Re: pezzy669] #5425361 05/10/20 09:08 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 165
A
aualtima3.5 Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 165
Pezzy: Do you know if they did roadforce or static balance? I'm pretty sure mine was static after talking to a tech.
I am youhad a good experience, but I bought a new set in July 2019 and had a bad experience - in the end it seems like 1+ tires out of round or NG quality.

Tires were Ecopia EP422+ and they couldn't get the balanced after 3 attempts on all four. I had to get the manager to ride with me, where he said 'there's definitely a problem'
I drive interstate 95%, it drove me mad. After 300 miles they came off.

I went with Michelin and haven't had an issue. It sounds cliche - but it's my second set and a flawless experience. They balance well each time, I've about about 3 maintenance rebalances/rotations and 15k since last July. My other car has had 4 rebal/rotations and 20k and no issues outside of road damages. I had a fifth tire for damage and it balanced perfect first time statically.

Re: Bridgestone Ecopia + - surprisingly good. [Re: aualtima3.5] #5425774 05/10/20 06:57 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 588
P
pezzy669 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 588
Originally Posted by aualtima3.5
Pezzy: Do you know if they did roadforce or static balance? I'm pretty sure mine was static after talking to a tech.
I am youhad a good experience, but I bought a new set in July 2019 and had a bad experience - in the end it seems like 1+ tires out of round or NG quality.

Tires were Ecopia EP422+ and they couldn't get the balanced after 3 attempts on all four. I had to get the manager to ride with me, where he said 'there's definitely a problem'
I drive interstate 95%, it drove me mad. After 300 miles they came off.

I went with Michelin and haven't had an issue. It sounds cliche - but it's my second set and a flawless experience. They balance well each time, I've about about 3 maintenance rebalances/rotations and 15k since last July. My other car has had 4 rebal/rotations and 20k and no issues outside of road damages. I had a fifth tire for damage and it balanced perfect first time statically.


These were installed by selling dealer (VW dealership) so assuming just static balancing - e-Golf top speed is 85 MPH and I have had it up there and zero vibration to note. Car has aero wheels on it that have just small venting slits so its pretty much impossible to see how much weight they have in there.

I think I really lucked out and got a good set - have never really been a fan because prior experiences and reviews seem to be mediocre at best.


2016 Volkswagen e-Golf SE - 59k
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI - 49k - Castrol Edge Professional LL03 5W30
Re: Bridgestone Ecopia + - surprisingly good. [Re: DuckRyder] #5425788 05/10/20 07:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 588
P
pezzy669 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 588
Originally Posted by Mainia


I pulled these up, I was surprised at the high pressure speced. Must be a heavy car with the batteries. I always go higher then the side door rating that they use for comfort ride for Grandpa. I would they 46-47 psi. You can go as high as 51 psi.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=2016+vw+egolf+recommended+tire+pressure


https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=507



Yeah the batteries add prob ~400-450 lbs over a typical gasser Golf. Fortunately they are slung down low and pancaked into the floor under the front and rear seats. They give the e-Golf a near 50/50 weight distribution (52/48 F/R is a general guesstimate). Despite the heft this thing handles far better than any of my previous Volkswagens which are typically quite nose heavy and feel it.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Hmm, an e-Golf in Georgia... cool. Glad you’re happy with the tires.


Yeah the CARB state lease return scraps are starting to show up in non-CARB states - my 2016 was a 3 year lease in Connecticut that they picked up new in January 2017 and turned it in right at 3 year mark. I have seen 1 other in the flesh and there is another e-Golf I regularly see in the charging activity at a public charging station I use. Still a very rare breed as I think VW only sold under ~20k of them in the US over their run from 2015-2019.


2016 Volkswagen e-Golf SE - 59k
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI - 49k - Castrol Edge Professional LL03 5W30
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™