Premium guard extended life oil filter cut open

cut open this filter today with about 3,500 miles on it. I think it looks pretty good. Side note, I bought the lograce oil filter cutter and maybe it was me but the thing worked horribly. Saw someone say the loved it on here. Wasn't doing it for me. We'll see how it does next time. Maybe I tightened it too much.

20200509_130133.jpg

20200509_130138.jpg

20200509_130144.jpg

20200509_130148.jpg

20200509_130206.jpg

20200509_130220.jpg

20200509_130213.jpg

The ADBV seemed a little thing to me. Not a deal brake though. Bother gaskets were silicone. To clarify these where the part plus EX however they are the same as the premium guard.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Looks good. My longacre I've had over 9 years. Works perfect every time so
21.gif

I tightened as much as I could than twisted. Mostly dented the can. From what I see on you tube you tighten a little twist and repeat. Is the the technique that you use?

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
21.gif

I tightened as much as I could than twisted. Mostly dented the can. From what I see on you tube you tighten a little twist and repeat. Is the the technique that you use?

Yes...tighten a little...twist.... repeat until open.....By tightening it "as much as you could" initially….you probably caused your issues...

PS: Nice looking filter.....too bad the COO is China (I think)….

Originally Posted by Eddie
I'm wondering of all those little string like material on the media is good. Could they come loose and go through the oil system? Ed

Those are on the dirty side. Clean side is the pressed side without the fiberglass/synthetic material.

Originally Posted by pbm
21.gif

Yes...tighten a little...twist.... repeat until open.....By tightening it "as much as you could" initially….you probably caused your issues...

It is. I personally don't have an issue with it being Chinese. I have used sever of the premium guard oil and air filters and they all have seemed quality to me. Can't speak for other Chinese made ones though.

Originally Posted by pbm
21.gif

It is. I personally don't have an issue with it being Chinese. I have used sever of the premium guard oil and air filters and they all have seemed quality to me. Can't speak for other Chinese made ones though.

I've bought and used many Chinese products simply because it's hard not to these days.....I've always had second thoughts about it because I do consider them an 'adversary'.....but with recent events (Covid, Hong Kong etc..) I am going to try to stop supporting China as much as possible.
OTOH, I have always said that those cheap Chinese filters usually look much better than more expensive American made ones when cut open....

PS: I really wish that online sellers like RockAuto, Amazon etc...were required to list the COO of the product they are selling. I would rather purchase something made in Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia etc...if there is nothing made in America available.

Food for Thought re China. Nobody says this so if you think I'm wrong just say so.

China buys our debt....lots of it. They do this so our money retains some of it's worth, I'm told.

They are allowed to export products to us freely.

Chinese people come to Vancouver, B.C. then walk to the USA. It's all bought and paid for. That's not politics; just reality.

Too bad our leaders didn't at least contrive a schedule for the gutting of America. They're insulated; another reality.

At least now we can buy electronics then throw them away. Sad

Are these the same as federated auto parts black extended life filter? same part numbers as premium guard, I use these ex filters on my silverado,and cut one open every so often,always looked great,

Originally Posted by troutfisher
Are these the same as federated auto parts black extended life filter? same part numbers as premium guard, I use these ex filters on my silverado,and cut one open every so often,always looked great,

Yes, they're the same ones, the STP XL ones are (or at least were) the same, and Parts Plus sells them too.

The Premium Guards I use are made in Korea not China as mentioned by someone.

I buy then for my Hyundai Sonata. They are identical to the OEM filter even down to the part number on the filter for Hyundai/Kia.

Only difference i see is I get the Premium Guards for about $2 cheaper per filter over OEM.

Last edited:
Back