Subaru Forester Turbo Oil (EJ205 WRX Engine).

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDK

Hello, first post here but long time lurker,

I recently acquired a JDM Subaru Forester 2008 XT (2.0l Turbo 230PS same engine as the Impreza WRX the EJ205) has about 50000 miles on the clock.

I live in the UK, and I need to service this for the first time, I never owned a turbo car or a Subaru before. It will be just a normal use car no track days and I don't plan to modify it in any way.

I've been reading the forums and the more I read the more confused I get about the engine oil. (Especially when reading the Subaru/WRX/STI/Forester forums).

So from what I've read so far, I'm considering fully synthetic 5w30 or 5w40 or 10w50 or 0w40 or a 50/50 blend of 0w40 & 10w50.

I'm not that bothered about the price, but I'd rather stick to oils easily available in UK rather than import from the US.

Some of the oils I'm considering are below and I can easily get here in the UK, Any advice would be appreciated.

Car manual and engine cap say 5W30.

The cheapest on the list is the first one and has the following specs(copy/pasted below) should I just go with that and be done with it?

Specifications
ACEA C3
API SN / SM
FORD M2C917-A
Approvals
MB-APPROVAL 229.31, 226.5
Porsche A40
Renault RN 0700 / RN 0710
VW 502 00 / VW 505 00 / VW 505 01
Recommendations
API CF
FIAT 9.55535-S2

Fuchs TITAN GT1 XTL 5W-40 Synthetic Engine Oil
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60166-fuchs-titan-gt1-xtl-5w-40-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx
[Linked Image]

Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 Ester Fully Synthetic Engine Oil
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68897-...40-ester-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx
[Linked Image]

Millers Oils XF LongLife 5w-50 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60214-...y-synthetic-engine-oil-formerly-xfs.aspx
[Linked Image]

Millers Oils XF LONGLIFE 0w-40 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-79244-millers-oils-xf-longlife-0w-40-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

A blend of the two Millers Oils above 50/50

Castrol Edge SUPERCAR 5w-50 Titanium FST
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-195468...anced-full-synthetic-car-engine-oil.aspx
[Linked Image]

Fuchs Titan Race Pro C3 5W-30 or 5W-40 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-89826-fuchs-titan-race-pro-c3-5w-30-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx
[Linked Image]

Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5W-30 or 5W-40 High Performance Full Synthetic Engine Oil
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-92073-...rformance-full-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx
[Linked Image]

Millers Oils NANODRIVE CFS 5w-40 NT+ Fully Synthetic Engine Oil
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-115238...5w-40-nt-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
You don't have to over think it. Use a quality synthetic 5w30 meeting A3/B4 specs and change it between 8000 and 12000 kilometers. More important on Subaru's is to keep the cooling system in tip top shape and since it's a turbo, don't get on it too hard until it's warmed up and give it a 30 second idle before shutting it off to give the turbo time to spool down and cool off a bit. Maybe a bit longer if you've been hot rod-ing it.

Originally Posted by Spartanfool
I have a EJ205 and it likes Castrol Edge 0w40.

Did you notice a difference vs 5w30/40 ?

Originally Posted by ripcord
You don't have to over think it. Use a quality synthetic 5w30 meeting A3/B4 specs and change it between 8000 and 12000 kilometers. More important on Subaru's is to keep the cooling system in tip top shape and since it's a turbo, don't get on it too hard until it's warmed up and give it a 30 second idle before shutting it off to give the turbo time to spool down and cool off a bit. Maybe a bit longer if you've been hot rod-ing it.

Thanks, I'm a complete car noob, do you recommend any upgrades to the cooling system ? I've been looking at the Mishimoto radiators....but honestly have no idea where to start, I plan to keep this car for as long as possible as I really like it and there's no other car I want, so I don't mind investing in it and using quality stuff..

Originally Posted by BDK
Thanks, I'm a complete car noob, do you recommend any upgrades to the cooling system ? I've been looking at the Mishimoto radiators....but honestly have no idea where to start, I plan to keep this car for as long as possible as I really like it and there's no other car I want, so I don't mind investing in it and using quality stuff..

Before I bought a new radiator, I would make sure the hoses and clamps are in good shape. After 12 years, if they're the originals, they're due for replacement. Also, keep an eye on the electric fans for function, though with such low miles they are probably still perfectly fine. With only 50K miles, the coolant might have never been changed, but at 12 years old, I would highly recommend it if you don't know if it has or not.

The most important thing, really, is to just to keep an eye on things. Watch for oil and coolant leaks, especially from the heads. Keep the fluids clean, topped up, etc. Get in the habit of opening the hood and inspecting whenever you fuel up. Get on the forums and learn about the weak points of your particular model so you'll be able to recognize any small problems before they become big ones.

Originally Posted by ripcord
Originally Posted by BDK

Before I bought a new radiator, I would make sure the hoses and clamps are in good shape. After 12 years, if they're the originals, they're due for replacement. Also, keep an eye on the electric fans for function, though with such low miles they are probably still perfectly fine. With only 50K miles, the coolant might have never been changed, but at 12 years old, I would highly recommend it if you don't know if it has or not.

The most important thing, really, is to just to keep an eye on things. Watch for oil and coolant leaks, especially from the heads. Keep the fluids clean, topped up, etc. Get in the habit of opening the hood and inspecting whenever you fuel up. Get on the forums and learn about the weak points of your particular model so you'll be able to recognize any small problems before they become big ones.

Thanks a lot! I haven't even thought about the hoses, coolant and the fans....I'm doing the Timing belt kit, water pump included, sparkplugs all the oils and filters. I'll add the coolant and the hoses to the list. I'm not sure if I should change the oil pump also I've heard mixed advice (that they never fail)....

Normally, the only time to change the oil pump is during an overhaul and usually only if it's out of spec. Save your money for your first clutch job
smile.gif

Originally Posted by BDK
Originally Posted by Spartanfool
I have a EJ205 and it likes Castrol Edge 0w40.

Did you notice a difference vs 5w30/40 ?

The 0w helps in Michigan's cold winters, and the 40 runs quieter than the 30 weight (in my opinion). I often ran German Castrol 0w30 until I tried the 40 weight.

I was running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 in my 04 WRX, I am not sure if that available in your location. If not, I am sure the regular PP 5W-30 is a good choice as well, the main thing you want to aware of it 'oil shearing' with the EJ engines. I have heard of it taking xW-30 oils and breaking them down to xW-20 oils in no time. Although I havent ran across many UOA proving this idea, its a common thought in the Subaru community and something I bought into.

Are ester based oils the best oils out there ? Are they the most shear resistant?

Here in the UK the Fuchs Titan Race Pro (Silkolene) is recommended by a lot of people for turbo/sports cars.

The Race Pro S 5w40 I linked above has: -Noack - 6,6%; -HTHS - 4,2...and I'm leaning towards that or the 5W30 of the same..

welcome2.gif

I would pass on a C3 oil and go with a A3/B4 xW-30 or xW-40 oil changed at 5,000 miles max. There's no need for a 50 grade or a reduced SAPS oil. I would also drop Opie Oils an email and see what they recommend. They used to post fairly regularly on the UK Subaru Owners Club forum.

Nice car!
19.gif

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by bluesubie
welcome2.gif

I would pass on a C3 oil and go with a A3/B4 xW-30 or xW-40 oil changed at 5,000 miles max. There's no need for a 50 grade or a reduced SAPS oil. I would also drop Opie Oils an email and see what they recommend. They used to post fairly regularly on the UK Subaru Owners Club forum.

Nice car!
19.gif

cheers3.gif

Thanks, I did, and they recommended me the Fuchs Race Pro S 5w40. So I'm leaning towards that or the Castrol Edge 0w40...

These engines have a tendency to consume a lot of oil so they like the thicker 5w40 oils. My son has a 2002 WRX and he has much lower consumption since he switched to Shell Rotella T6 5w40. It has a viscosity of 14.9 cst at 100c, so I would shoot for an oil that is close to this viscosity. Castrol Edge 0w40 is thinner than this, it's only 13.2 cst at 100c and thins out more easily than a 5w40 would.

Originally Posted by Patman
These engines have a tendency to consume a lot of oil so they like the thicker 5w40 oils.

My 2.5XT has a drinking problem and I switch to 10W-40 in the summer.

These engines have a tendency to consume a lot of oil so they like the thicker 5w40 oils. My son has a 2002 WRX and he has much lower consumption since he switched to Shell Rotella T6 5w40. It has a viscosity of 14.9 cst at 100c, so I would shoot for an oil that is close to this viscosity. Castrol Edge 0w40 is thinner than this, it's only 13.2 cst at 100c and thins out more easily than a 5w40 would.

Thanks, I'll probably stick to a 5w40 then...the Shell Rotella T6 is favoured by many Subaru drivers in the US but not available in europe, what would be an equivalent in europe?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BDK

Thanks, I'll probably stick to a 5w40 then...the Shell Rotella T6 is favoured by many Subaru drivers in the US but not available in europe, what would be an equivalent in europe?

RT6 became popular in the US among Subaru drivers back when inexpensive and robust oils xW-40's were hard to find. RT6 used to be a "mixed fleet" oil with both petrol and diesel API specs but the petrol certification was dropped during the last reformulation. I guess some version of Rimula would be comparable. We still do not have a lot of inexpensive 5W-40's to choose from which is why 0W-40 is a little more popular here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bluesubie
Originally Posted by BDK

RT6 became popular in the US among Subaru drivers back when inexpensive and robust oils xW-40's were hard to find. RT6 used to be a "mixed fleet" oil with both petrol and diesel API specs but the petrol certification was dropped during the last reformulation. I guess some version of Rimula would be comparable. We still do not have a lot of inexpensive 5W-40's to choose from which is why 0W-40 is a little more popular here.

Ahh OK thats why the Shell Rotella T6 is recommended on all the Subaru forums, In Europe there's loads of good 5w40 oils to choose from..

I found Castrol Edge 0w40 on sale for a good price here in the UK but it's the same price as the RAVENOL VST 5w40 https://www.ravenol-direct.uk/ravenol-vst-5w40-engine-oil-5-litre.html.

But on some Subaru forums there are warnings not to use 0w oil as it's too thin for the Turbo Subaru's.

How do I compare the characteristics of diferent oils to determine which is better? What I'm I looking for? Are ESTER based oils the best oils out there ?Or for Full synth. modern oils from reputable brands there is no major difference so just go with what is cheaper?

And is there any difference between ACEA A3/B3 and ACEA C3 oils? One if for Petrol and the other for Diesel?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back