Clueless driver almost hit me, then yelled at me.

I was on the way home going through a residential neighborhood. I was minding my own business driving straight. It was a typical intersection around here with a two-way stop, and no stop in my direction. I was actually going rather slow - maybe 20 MPH as I knew this was near a playground even though it would theoretically be closed these days. I did see the vehicle to my left stopped at the sign. Didn't seem anything unusual until the driver started accelerating, then slammed on the brakes just before potentially T-boning my car right on the front driver's door and possibly then me with my kid in the front passenger seat. Then I stop up ahead and try to suss out what the problem is. I yell something out the window. Might have been "What the h***!" Then she's turned right, stops, and starts yelling at me as if I did something wrong. There are 4-way stop intersections in this neighborhood, but not at this particular intersection.

It just boggles the mind that anyone would be so clueless as to not understand how a two-way stop intersection works. This was a pretty basic driver's test situation.

Dummies are all over. It sucks.

In Boston, we simply give the finger and continue on our way. If we stopped every time a moron nearly hits us, we'd never get anywhere.

Maybe write a letter to your local government and ask them to look into putting "cross traffic does not stop" signs under the STOP sign. We had an intersection in my neighborhood like that and after a bunch of gnarly accidents, people started writing letters asking for it. Soon after they appeared the accidents with cars stopped, now just bikers who blow past the STOP sign get rolled over hoods.

She stopped, but got tired of waiting for you and jumped. I'm not defending her actions, but if you want to know the mental process you encountered, that was it. In the state of confusion I'm unfortunate to live in we have a number of 4 way stops. Now those are fun!

Originally Posted by Zaedock

In Boston, we simply give the finger and continue on our way. If we stopped every time a moron nearly hits us, we'd never get anywhere.

Oh yeah, that's a classic Boston thing. Especially when they try to move into your lane and then they yell at you when they never had the right of way. I don't even bother to give anyone the finger, it's pointless.

Oh once a lady cut me off badly and I managed to get in front of her at one point. I then used my power trunk closer to give her the "finger" so to speak. I opened it and she started laughing. Then it closed and she had a perplexed look on her face. Only done it once.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
She stopped, but got tired of waiting for you and jumped. I'm not defending her actions, but if you want to know the mental process you encountered, that was it. In the state of confusion I'm unfortunate to live in we have a number of 4 way stops. Now those are fun!

Ever saw the beginning of the movie L.A. Story, where they show a 4-way stop. All four drivers wave their hands out the window for the next driver to go ahead, and they simultaneously collide in the middle of the intersection.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Maybe write a letter to your local government and ask them to look into putting "cross traffic does not stop" signs under the STOP sign. We had an intersection in my neighborhood like that and after a bunch of gnarly accidents, people started writing letters asking for it. Soon after they appeared the accidents with cars stopped, now just bikers who blow past the STOP sign get rolled over hoods.

In my neighborhood we have intersections without stop signs. The most interesting are the more or less blind T intersections. There are a few with yield signs. But it's supposed to be pretty simple. The driver going straight has right of way over any driver making a turn.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Oh yeah, that's a classic Boston thing. Especially when they try to move into your lane and then they yell at you when they never had the right of way. I don't even bother to give anyone the finger, it's pointless.

Oh once a lady cut me off badly and I managed to get in front of her at one point. I then used my power trunk closer to give her the "finger" so to speak. I opened it and she started laughing. Then it closed and she had a perplexed look on her face. Only done it once.

I'll bet you were on Storrow. People zip all over on the stretch past Kenmore.

Hey - Kelley Square in Worcester is pretty much no more. I wish all BITOG members could experience the thrill of 7 roads intersecting at one point, where the bold say a prayer and floor it.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I'll bet you were on Storrow. People zip all over on the stretch past Kenmore.

Hey - Kelley Square in Worcester is pretty much no more. I wish all BITOG members could experience the thrill of 7 roads intersecting at one point, where the bold say a prayer and floor it.

Was that you? Close, the other end of Storrow in Brighton.

Oh yeah Kelley square. Haven't been there in a while, is it all construction now? Yeah you just go and the faster car makes it through, if you slow down and let people through, you'd never make it out.

The access road to my driveway has a cross street- it has stop signs, the access road doesn't. Lots of imbeciles assume it's a 4-way stop.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by Aredeeem

Ever saw the beginning of the movie L.A. Story, where they show a 4-way stop. All four drivers wave their hands out the window for the next driver to go ahead, and they simultaneously collide in the middle of the intersection.

Yeah, just like the Three Stooges all trying to go through a doorway at the same time.

Same in NYC....although I wouldn't do it in some neighborhoods....it might be fatal....

Yes. The finger seems to be the universal way to handle things.

An example of why a dash cam is good... if I done my usual full throttle starts from a green light... I would probably have gotten into an accident from the guy running the red.

This past Thursday morning, I was going down a three lane highway in light traffic in the left lane because I was passing a group of cars in the middle and right lanes. As I was passing this Honda, the guy starts moving into my lane and just about hits me right in the front fender. I moved as far left as I could and lifted and he suddenly saw me and did a panic move back into the middle lane. A few miles later, we come to a traffic light. He catches up, rolls down his window and wants to say something. Wonderful.
I roll down my window and he apologizes for almost hitting me.
I said its cool. I;m not mad... Just disappointed. His expression was priceless.

Why I like NE. Very straight forward communication.

Back