When yall buy a used vehicle from dealer

how many miles do you go before you switch to "your brand"?

The Ford dealership put Motorcraft syn blend 5w20 in my Tundra b4 selling it to me. Tundra, of course, calls for 0w but its approaching summer in the south.

I'll be switching to ST 0w20 for my 1st OCI.

So would you go 5k?

Last edited:
I changed my oil in our pre-owned Lincoln as soon as I got it home.
Bulk dealer oil may or may not be what you thing it is.
Good or bad

Change it to your favorite and you'll know for sure what's in the engine and your good to go !

Last edited:
I would go two or three thousand miles and change it to your favorite oil. If it gets dark in color change it earlier. I like nice clean looking oil in my vehicles and when I buy a used one I like to have the peace of mind knowing it has clean oil in it.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
What interval does the Tundra call for? The truck's broken in and the dealer didn't cheat you with the Motorcraft syn blend 5w-20. Why not run it the miles you plan to go with the ST?

Best answer...

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
What interval does the Tundra call for? The truck's broken in and the dealer didn't cheat you with the Motorcraft syn blend 5w-20. Why not run it the miles you plan to go with the ST?

Best answer...

Indeed. And a 5K OCI would work perfect if you have a case OCIOCD.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by ka9mnx

Best answer...

Indeed. And a 5K OCI would work perfect if you have a case OCIOCD.

Agree... I had an unknown oil in my used Camry V6 when I bought it last year, clear as water. I ran it 5K miles watching level and color, changed it and put it on my standard 7.5K OCI with off the shelf synthetics.

Our FJ had one of those Chinese " leak tested" oil filters on it and an unknown oil the dealer put in it when we got it. Drove the 100 miles home then a couple hundred more before I got time to change it. About 300miles.

Oil was likely ok to use but since It was not known I swapped it and the filter asap.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I change all fluids the very second I bring them home.

Not a thing wrong with that either.

Hard to imagine a Ford dealer putting in any oil that would harm the Tundra for one OCI but this is BITOG. On the other hand some quarts of oil is small change for peace of mind. Shame to waste hardly used oil, maybe pass it down to a beater in the family if you change it out?

Change it from 5w to 0w when you live in the south and summer is coming??? Just say no, don't be silly. At a minimum run it to 3k to get some value out of it.

Originally Posted by philipp10
Change it from 5w to 0w when you live in the south and summer is coming???

I'm going from a 5w-30 to a 0w-20 and summer is coming. Oh my!

If I'm buying a CPO from an OEM dealer I don't change it. Otherwise I probably would.

Bought a '14 Encore from a Ford dealer. Had Motorcraft 5w30 in it. Dropped the oil at about 4000 miles (about 50% on OLM if I remember correctly) primarily because the oil wasn't Dexos. No problem whatsoever with the oil, of course it was the correct weight.

Originally Posted by Starman2112
I'd change it immediately to what it calls for. But that's just me.

Me too. I don't trust that the dealer used a quality product. Way too many horror stories.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by Starman2112
I'd change it immediately to what it calls for. But that's just me.

Me too. I don't trust that the dealer used a quality product. Way too many horror stories.

Fortunatley it is hard to find a bad oil here. Filters on the other hand.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I change all fluids the very second I bring them home.

Not a thing wrong with that either.

Hard to imagine a Ford dealer putting in any oil that would harm the Tundra for one OCI but this is BITOG. On the other hand some quarts of oil is small change for peace of mind. Shame to waste hardly used oil, maybe pass it down to a beater in the family if you change it out?

Could be lawnmower or other oil as well. Maybe 4 wheeler, not a motorcycle with wet clutch

Back