New oil turning black?

Hey fellas,

Normally I wouldn't have asked this if it was a car, I know color doesn't indicate its condition, but this is my first motorcycle and I am not sure if this is normal or not.

As title says: I changed the oil and filter today. I tried my best to get the old oil out, waited around 45 minutes to make sure. After few miles, new oil was dark brown. Is this a normal thing with wet clutch motorcycles? I am not hard on it, no redlines, no wheelies, no track days, just occasional spirited driving. I found this when I started using Rotella T4, and I am not 100% sure if this is happening with Motul, it was pretty short OCIs anyways (listed below).

I have just put about 10.000 km (6400 miles) with my bike, and I changed the oil frequently during the break in period.

1st- 500 miles - Motul 4T 5100 10w40 - OEM oil filter
2nd - 1000 miles (500 OCI) - Motul 4T 5100 10w40 - OEM oil filter
3rd- 2500 miles (1.5k OCI) - Shell Rotella T4 15w40 - OEM oil filter
4th - 4500 miles (2k OCI) - Shell Rotella T4 15w40 - OEM oil filter
5th (today)- total mileage = 6400 miles (2-2.5k OCI) - Shell Rotella T6 5w40 - Fram XG6607

Planning to extend OCI 5k miles going forward, if this is normal.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Dan

Originally Posted by Bonz
What bike? Carbureted or fuel injected?

2018 Kawasaki Z650 - Fuel injected

Does your bike have a sight glass or dipstick? My bike shows some darkening on the dipstick, but my first Wing had a sight glass that got very dark quickly. and happens soon after an oil change. Part of the reason, I suppose, is running a single sump wet clutch. I would not be concerned. I tried Rotella T-6 5W-40 a few years ago and found the shift quality degraded quickly. Plus I had some oil usage not normal for this bike. I am currently trying T-6 15W-40 and will see if it is any better. Normally I use Amsoil Metric 10W-40, just had none around at the last oil change.

Originally Posted by Inspecktor
Does your bike have a sight glass or dipstick? My bike shows some darkening on the dipstick, but my first Wing had a sight glass that got very dark quickly. and happens soon after an oil change. Part of the reason, I suppose, is running a single sump wet clutch. I would not be concerned. I tried Rotella T-6 5W-40 a few years ago and found the shift quality degraded quickly. Plus I had some oil usage not normal for this bike. I am currently trying T-6 15W-40 and will see if it is any better. Normally I use Amsoil Metric 10W-40, just had none around at the last oil change.

It's sight glass. I used T4 15w40 and bike seems happy with it, haven't noticed any shift quality degredation unlike with Motul 5100.

Originally Posted by dgunay
Inspecktor said:
Does your bike have a sight glass or dipstick? /quote]

It's sight glass.

Does the sight glass have a shiny piece of metal just behind the glass? If not, then the oil will look way darker than it actually is because you're looking through quite a distance of oil. Kind of like looking at used oil in a drain pan looks way darker than if you looked at it on a dipstick.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I am not sure 5w40 is within the specs for that bike, but perhaps that is a good range for Canada. I would not worry about it myself.

It recommends 10w40 API SM + JASO MA in owner's manual.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Inspecktor said:
Does your bike have a sight glass or dipstick? /quote]

It's sight glass.

Does the sight glass have a shiny piece of metal just behind the glass? If not, then the oil will look way darker than it actually is because you're looking through quite a distance of oil. Kind of like looking at used oil in a drain pan looks way darker than if you looked at it on a dipstick.

Yeah it comes with metal plate behind the glass

My friends old Goldwing had a site glass for the oil. And in the middle there was a small narrow slot, that was attached to a wiper. You spun it with a screw driver a few times and it would clean the window of any accumulated schmutz, so you could see the level better. His bike was a '76, does your bike have anything like that?.,,,

It's normal for oil to turn dark as it's used, nothing to lose sleep over. I've noticed that some oils turn darker at different rates than others.

Also, shared sump oil gets darker from being used for the clutch/plates.

I would just change it more often until it remains clean looking. I have had a lot of motorcycles and ATV's etc. and with regular changes I never had dark or black oil. I take good care of my equipment.

Oil turning black quickly in a new Kawi bike?

The Rotella must be removing the dreaded and extremely rare Kawasaki Factory Sludge.
27.gif

This should flush out on it's own after a few short OCI's.

crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Color doesn't matter. Take some on your finger and feel it. Does it feel sheared or still like new oil? That's what is important.

What is Kawasaki 's factory fill that makes you say this?
Originally Posted by Normac
Oil turning black quickly in a new Kawi bike?

The Rotella must be removing the dreaded and extremely rare Kawasaki Factory Sludge.
27.gif

This should flush out on it's own after a few short OCI's.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
What is Kawasaki 's factory fill that makes you say this?

It was a joke, just having fun.

Oil turning "brown
After few miles, new oil was dark brown. Is this a normal thing with wet clutch motorcycles?

Dan... oil turning brown after a few miles could be moisture contamination...

Leaky Head Gasket Check...

You can visual inspect for a leaking head gasket by pulling the spark
plugs and peering down each hole... if the top of the piston is black
then no leak that cylinder... if the top of the piston is a bright
shiny aluminum then leak detected... because a leaky head gasket
allows coolant in and that produces steam under the heat of
combustion... the net effect is a super clean piston dome and no nasty
black...

Last edited:
An easier way to check for coolant leaks is to watch the coolant reservoir tank level closely - ie, check when completely cold to get a consistent level reading..

Back