Bosch HEPA Cabin Filter Airflow

Anyone used the Bosch HEPA cabin filters? I got one due to the pollen and such but was just driving today in the 90° heat thinking my wife's car needed the fan up too high. I asked her if it was normal to need it that high and she didn't know. Anyway, is this bad for the fan motor or anything? Otherwise, the filtration is supposedly pretty good...just curious if I'm imagining less flow or if it's something known.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Anyone used the Bosch HEPA cabin filters? I got one due to the pollen and such but was just driving today in the 90° heat thinking my wife's car needed the fan up too high. I asked her if it was normal to need it that high and she didn't know. Anyway, is this bad for the fan motor or anything? Otherwise, the filtration is supposedly pretty good...just curious if I'm imagining less flow or if it's something known.

Used it once... never again. Restricts too much airflow, and then after 10,000 miles it's completely plugged up with no air flow.

Originally Posted by motts
They are horrible!

Kind of seems like it. Anyone know...is it bad on the system/fan motor or just annoying because it restricts flow so much?

Bad, I suppose, if any motor has to run full speed all the time. It's life is shortened.

Is a shrouded fan spinning away suffering? It's not like filling a blender with rocks and turning it on.

However, is a degree of airflow needed for cooling of the fan itself?

So many posts mention, "straining the motor if the CAF isn't clean", but nobody explains why.

Originally Posted by Kira
Bad, I suppose, if any motor has to run full speed all the time. It's life is shortened.

Is a shrouded fan spinning away suffering? It's not like filling a blender with rocks and turning it on.

However, is a degree of airflow needed for cooling of the fan itself?

So many posts mention, "straining the motor if the CAF isn't clean", but nobody explains why.

I've been Googling about burning the fan motor out. I found one site that said it probably won't affect the motor because...said something about resistance and blah blah. But then all the other sites talk about clogged filters possibly shortening the life of the motor because it is working harder. Well, obviously this filter seems to be the equivalent of a clogged filter given air doesn't seem to move through it. Aside from a higher fan speed wearing a motor faster will the added resriction of air shorten it's life? Let's assume I drove with my fan on speed 4 with a normal air filter all the time and speed 4 with this and just accepted my car being hotter. Will the filter airflow restriction itself cause issues other than annoyance? So another way of asking, if I'm ok driving in a sweatmobile, because the cleaner air means a lot to me, is the airflow struggle going to kill my HVAC system?

Back