ugly plug photos

Figured some of you may want to see the plugs from an 18 Chevy Express 3500 with the 6.0.

40k miles!

Unbelievably short lived, these were OEM the truck is one year old.

20200409_115109.jpg

The van had a tiny stumble as it locked the converter in the upper gears. Ran and started excellent. FIVE worn to nuttin'!

These are factory AC/Delco fine wire iridiums. In our other 6.0 powered trucks they last well past their scheduled interval of 100k miles!

Last edited:
may want to examine the driving habits of the guy that drove that truck the most. Was he letting it idle overnight? Taking the Express to the dragstrip? :p

How long did it take to change them out. I have a 2014 Express with the 6.0l and 30k on it. I cant see most of the plugs and the dog house wont come loose. It a Class C RV.

The good news is, if you buy the AC Delco replacement iridium plugs from AAP/Advance Auto, they have a SEVEN YEAR warranty on them, which would cover this disappearing electrode issue (which I have no idea what could cause it).

Originally Posted by dishdude

Dumco?
lol.gif

3115 Pioneer St, Ft Worth TX.....That's Glencrest, One of the worst neighborhoods in Ft Worth behind Butler Place Projects & Stop 6.

I changed the plugs on my son's 2007 Mailbu with the 4 cyl engine at 125k. It had a misfire that clogged the cat but the plugs looked near as good as the new ones as far as wear. The misfire was cop.

I would guess not enough iridium.ruthenium in the tip alloy

Bad metallurgy

or bad friction welding to the Copper core.

Blame it on Chinese QC - or lack there of - where these plugs are manuf,.

That who was blamed for our old Subaru Forester drain plug that was made out of "zinc"
and that rounded off with a slight turn of the box wrench.
Subaru outsourced oil pan manufacture to China!

Guess you will have to use Autolite - the best "inexpensive" Ir plug out on the market

So odd for a 2018 with only 40K miles.

Like ARCO said above, gotta be a shoddy run of plugs?

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Don't these vans have a PTO? Is the high idle working correctly?

The high idle is controlled by a black box through the diagnostic plug. Three different speeds 900, 1500, 1750 rpm selectable by the user.

The truck runs excellent and ran quite well before the plug change amazingly.

Back