PQIA HD Tests

MolaKule

Staff member
Okay, lets try this again without a link to my business email.
blush.gif

HD Oils Tested

And thanks to 03s for the correct link.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
blush.gif

HD Oils Tested

Still loving the T5 as a solid consistent performer.

Delo moly is looking nice too, though!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HDoilDude
Originally Posted by MolaKule
blush.gif

HD Oils Tested

Still loving the T5 as a solid consistent performer.

Delo moly is looking nice too, though!

Delo BORON too.....

I don't use this service category, but I'm a card -carrying Chevron Hater ( as their products have NEVER performed well enough for me)

and it is great to see that Plain-Jane Rotella T4 had a VI of 140

beating DELO IsoSyn Advanced VI of 136 and it's poor ZDP showing

smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I don't use this service category, but I'm a card -carrying Chevron Hater ( as their products have NEVER performed well enough for me)

and it is great to see that Plain-Jane Rotella T4 had a VI of 140

beating DELO IsoSyn Advanced VI of 136 and it's poor ZDP showing

smile.gif

Chevron makes consistently good products though.

T4 and T5 look good. Surprising how low the P and Zn are in the others. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by claluja
T4 and T5 look good. Surprising how low the P and Zn are in the others. Thanks for posting.

And they sell this oil in 2.5 gallon jugs (10 quarts) and sometimes very good deals on it.

I'm going to run this in my Chevy.

High ZDDP has given way to many other additives that don't show up in ex. blackstone VOA's

More ZDDP does not equal 'better'

Originally Posted by tundraotto
High ZDDP has given way to many other additives that don't show up in ex. blackstone VOA's

Does less ZDDP offer any benefits, other than cost savings for the manufacturer?

Not picking a fight here, just wondering what these other additives are that aren't showing up in Blackstone reports?

Antimony and titanium for example - both more expensive to add than Zinc.....Boron you can see in UOA's
Problems arising with 'high' Zinc are mostly with the exhaust after-treatment systems, where they cause more deposits in the DPF etc. systems.

Originally Posted by claluja
T4 and T5 look good. Surprising how low the P and Zn are in the others.

Shell dropped API SN from most of the Rotella flavors. The others did not and have chosen to abide by the lower P limits of SN.

Last edited:

In a newer, emission controlled diesel (or gasoline) engine, yes-but in an older diesel or higher performance flat tappet, high lift & duration cam gasoline engine-my vote is a resounding NO!

What makes an oil better then? How many permutations are there on different additive concentrations?
When comparing T5 to T6, it appears that T6 has more antiwear additive. Does that make it better?

Originally Posted by whizbyu

What makes an oil better then? How many permutations are there on different additive concentrations?
When comparing T5 to T6, it appears that T6 has more antiwear additive. Does that make it better?

better and higher quality base oils....better additive packages, (ZDDP is but one of many, many anti-wear additives).

Originally Posted by whizbyu
tundraotto said:

better additive packages

I have often wondered why there aren't individually packed additives that you can add to your oil; like in a chemistry class, or a cocktail bar.

Antimony and titanium for example - both more expensive to add than Zinc.....Boron you can see in UOA's
Problems arising with 'high' Zinc are mostly with the exhaust after-treatment systems, where they cause more deposits in the DPF etc. systems.

Gotcha.

Blackstone does test for Titanium. It showed up in a VOA that I ran on Delo semi-synth.

Some Mustang owners with 5.0 Coyote engine say the extra zinc in Rotella T5 and T6 got rid of the engine ticks.

Maybe the extra _____ helped them?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Some Mustang owners with 5.0 Coyote engine say the extra zinc in Rotella T5 and T6 got rid of the engine ticks.

Maybe the extra _____ helped them?

Like the Castrol Magnatec or Rotella Gas Truck oils quieting the valvetrains.....was it the ______ in them that did it?

I've noticed in my Taurus that it runs quite with rotella gas-truck. I believe its supposedly a mix of GTL and group iui oil. Ots addictive package has a good dose of moly as well. Sddp seems average in it.

Back