Honda OEM filter Honda 15400-PLM-A02 in my Nissan engine

Hello,
Last month, I changed the engine oil and filter in my brother in law Honda HRV 2018 AWD.
We got Mobil1(from walmart) and Honda OEM filter 15400-PLM-A02 (from a local Honda dealer).
I was surprised by how heavy and quality the Honda OEM filter seems. Liked it a lot.
This OEM filter is the equivalent of Mobil1 M110A (according to Mobil 1 website oil selector)

My Nissan engine can use Mobil M110A. I would assume since both engines can use M110A then both engines can use the said Honda filter.

1. Will I be safe using this Honda filter on my Nissan engine?
2. Anyone knows the bypass pressure setting on the Honda filter? Should I be concerned about that?

Thanks

Last edited:
# 7317 filter which crosses with the mobil is used in both nissan and honda engines for years. maybe a few others also. i would have no problem using the honda filter in your nissan

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Don't see why not. If both cars cross to the M110A then it should be perfectly fine.

+1 ... and the bypass setting in either filter should also be adequate for either car.

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Hello,
Last month, I changed the engine oil and filter in my brother in law Honda HRV 2018 AWD.
We got Mobil1(from walmart) and Honda OEM filter 15400-PLM-A02 (from a local Honda dealer).
I was surprised by how heavy and quality the Honda OEM filter seems. Liked it a lot.
This OEM filter is the equivalent of Mobil1 M110A (according to Mobil 1 website oil selector)

My Nissan engine can use Mobil M110A. I would assume since both engines can use M110A then both engines can use the said Honda filter.

1. Will I be safe using this Honda filter on my Nissan engine?
2. Anyone knows the bypass pressure setting on the Honda filter? Should I be concerned about that?

Thanks

1. yes it will be fine.
2. Dont know but you'll be fine - it uses a standard fram bypass poppet - I think 18LB?

Heres a cut and paste of an AO2 Its a decently constructed filter.
Not a 20K mile piece- but you will be good for one OCI even though Honda leaves them in a log time.

UD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3HLwZFXIG4&t=4s

Last edited:
Yes, you can use the Honda filter on your Nissan with no problem. Most Japanese cars use the same size oil filter, except Toyota

The A02 is a PH7317

The bypass setting of the 7317 and 6607 are the same. The only difference is the length.

My 300ZX came with an Ac Delco oil filter. I'd bought it from a Chevrolet dealership in Dallas.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Many Nissan and Infiniti owners whose cars call for the 6607 short filter opt instead to use the 7317 long filter unless you have space restrictions on your model.

In my Maxima 2009, no space restriction at all. I used both short and long Nissan filters before. But I am considering this longer (M110A) equivalent Honda filter now instead of the shorty nissan one.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Is the PH7317 a good filter? I have been using XG7317 but it might be overkill since I usually change my oil very 5k.

The PH is rated for 10K miles. Going from XG to PH is losing a little bit of efficiency, but at 5K OCIs that won't matter much.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Is the PH7317 a good filter? I have been using XG7317 but it might be overkill since I usually change my oil very 5k.

The PH7317 is fine
smile.gif

Honda trusts them for intervals up to 4x that! They actually recommend only replacing the filter every other oil change. Before they started using the MM, the factory OCI was 10k, so changing the filter every other OCI would mean every 20k. This means Honda is confident the PH7317 is good for 20k
crazy2.gif

The A02 is not a rebadged PH7317. The A02 is manufactured by Fram for Honda, it has at least one glaring difference if you cut them open and lay them side by side.

The unseen difference is that as our friend who formally worked for Fram has noted Honda specifies their own media, his stated efficiency was inline with Amsoil's testing (not very good).

This was all true at least until Tricos recent acquisition of Fram.

None of this is to say that any of the mentioned Honda or Fram filters are not good filters, but to say the A02 is a "rebranded" anything in the consumer Fram line is simply untrue and I'm constantly astounded that this sort of misinformation is parroted over an over again around the internet. Here in particular I would expect better.

I have read here many times that the slightly stronger basic Honda filters are actually ‘equivalent' to the Fram Toughguard filters, not the regular orange can extra guards.

I don't know if buying Honda filters is a better deal? Maybe toughguards on sale would be better?

Back