What fluid to run in fresh PS system

So I just finished replacing the power steering gear, power steering pump and all the lines in my 1998 GMC Sierra. Everything is new.

Is it ok to run Maxlife ATF as power steering fluid (I have some already)? Or do I need to run branded "power steering fluid" that's approved for GM PS systems?

Last edited:
Lucas cause it's DA BEST
thumbsup2.gif

[Linked Image]

I see that Lubeguard has some. Id think it may be a good option since it uses their wax esters.

I would use Lubegard,Amsoil,or Redline. Skip the Lucas but if you see it anywhere put something in front of it to protect the uninformed.

Originally Posted by luca
So I just finished replacing the power steering gear, power steering pump and all the lines in my 1998 GMC Sierra. Everything is new.

Is it ok to run Maxlife ATF as power steering fluid (I have some already)? Or do I need to run branded "power steering fluid" that's approved for GM PS systems?

What is the recommended fluid?

Originally Posted by CT8

That's what I would use. The recommended fluid.

I just did a little searching at it "appears" your PS fluid should not be an ATF. It needs to be a PS fluid and probably GM.

I have used M1 ATF in my PS pumps for about 30 years and have never had a pump failure. Yet. Also my pumps are very quite in sub zero temps.

A lot of hate for Lucas products around here and I can't say it is all unwarranted. However I agree with @GMguy84 that Lucas PS fluid is a solid performer (maybe not "best" but it is right up there). Of course, IMO it is only worth straying from OEM fluids/parts when you have a problem to solve, so the OP's new PS system will likely do fine on any GM-approved or compatible fluid. But if the steering becomes notchy or otherwise un-smooth, don't knock Lucas until you try it! Their universal "For all power steering systems, even Honda" stuff smoothed out the steering in my Honda and Cad when approved fluids did not. Just sayin'

Originally Posted by tig1
I have used M1 ATF in my PS pumps for about 30 years and have never had a pump failure. Yet. Also my pumps are very quite in sub zero temps.

I know and you drink your medication and vitamins down daily with M1 also right???

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by CT8

That's what I would use. The recommended fluid.

Yes .

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Originally Posted by tig1

I know and you drink your medication and vitamins down daily with M1 also right???

Typewriter tiger from Moms basement!
06.gif

Last edited:
These systems can use either or. I've ran both in my truck issue free.

Not to be that guy, but I'd ignore most of the above comments and simply use Maxlife ATF. Not sure why nearly everyone posting is sending you on a quest for the holy grail.. it's power steering fluid.

Maxlife cheap and synthetic and is dual purpose since it can be used in the transmission too.

Last edited:

Having used synthetic PS fluids from Amsoil, RL and Valvoline in my vehicles I can say regular DexIII is what my PS liked (breakdown and smell serviced at 60K intervals).
There is a subtle difference b/w regular DexIII ATF vs synthetic PS fluids and DexIII is my preferred choice and MaxLife has been my choice for well over a decade now for steering needs.

Back