Amsoil - good amount of ester

Thanks to the Spanish YouTube channel, we can actually get a better idea of what is in some of these blends. Redline uses the most POE, followed by Amsoil. (see VOA section where Euro Redline 5w30 was posted).

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Nissan has a white bottled oil that is high in ester.. Wonder who's the supplier?

Does that oil even have any esters as part of the base stock composition? We discussed that oil extensively here in the past and if I recall correctly the only "ester" was part of the additive package and comprised approximately 1% of the material. It's not an "ester oil" like Redline may be. Whatever the case it isn't "high in ester."

Likely not even close to the Amsoil number. Oils can contain 3% ester and claim they use ester. Motul does this and others.

I'm hoping he can do Mobil 1 Annual Protection. That uses AN's though which would be interesting to see how it appears.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Nissan has a white bottled oil that is high in ester.. Wonder who's the supplier?

Does that oil even have any esters as part of the base stock composition? We discussed that oil extensively here in the past and if I recall correctly the only "ester" was part of the additive package and comprised approximately 1% of the material. It's not an "ester oil" like Redline may be.

I believe you're right. Probably barely any.

You are correct that this FTIR graph shows the presence of ester beyond the level expected from additives, but just to be clear, you cannot determine the percentage of ester by FTIR unless you know which ester is being used and account for all of the other C=O containing components affecting the baseline. Only gas chromatograph can identify the base oil components and quantify them.

Thank you Tom. It is rumored that the esters come from Croda. I have no idea if that's true.

I think we should compile an official list of measurements used on BITOG, in addition to the acronyms sticky. We can start with:

Good Amount
Nice slug
Boatload

grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Tom NJ
You are correct that this FTIR graph shows the presence of ester beyond the level expected from additives, but just to be clear, you cannot determine the percentage of ester by FTIR unless you know which ester is being used and account for all of the other C=O containing components affecting the baseline. Only gas chromatograph can identify the base oil components and quantify them.

thumbsup2.gif

boatload of Ester + good amount / dose of Moly + minimal Noack = very strong oil = Amsoil SS
shocked2.gif

Jeepers guys! You can buy bottles of ester lubricant all day long at Napa

POE. ISO 68 or 100, 80% pure, 20% inhibitors

Just add a half bottle, and away you go!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer
boatload of Ester + good amount / dose of Moly + minimal Noack = very strong oil = Amsoil SS
shocked2.gif

But you capitalized and spelled Noack correctly, that's not permitted. You need to use either NOACK, noack or (my personal favorite) NOAK.

Noakidding … was the guys last name ? … caps when the old lady yelled at him ? 🎧

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by OilUzer
shocked2.gif

But you capitalized and spelled Noack correctly, that's not permitted. You need to use either NOACK, noack or (my personal favorite) NOAK.

I should have disclosed that I've never purchased any Amsoil products but I do like the data. Also forgot to add + skyrocketing TBN
lol.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Jeepers guys! You can buy bottles of ester lubricant all day long at Napa

POE. ISO 68 or 100, 80% pure, 20% inhibitors

Just add a half bottle, and away you go!

With what, almost zero of an added add pack? I would want something engineered by an R&D oil chemist.

Originally Posted by Tom NJ

As usual, Tom's putting the truth out front and center.

Back