Lawn spreader

Looks like the old rotary fertilizer spreader is kaput. Seems like the gear box is stripped and there's no way to open the box to check. Time to buy a new one.

The Scotts rotary spreader with the Edge Guard seems good. ( OK price point. Really not looking for a pro model). Anyone have one? Any other recommendations? Thanks.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Don't care for the edge guard feature. I have a Scotts drop and rotary spreaders and happy with them. Properly positioned rows, I have no need for that edge guard with a rotary spreader.

Howdy Snaggle, I have the largest Scotts rotary they sell. Edge guard...eh, I think it concentrates fertilizer on the edge with the edge control on, I don't use it, but my lawn is surrounded by gravel and big rip rap rocks on the river embankment.

With 3/4 acre of grass I get tired of walking it at the same speed to evenly and properly spread the granulized fertilizers. I fertilize a lot. It is easy to streak lawn if your not careful and paying attention by either overlapping or not evenly covering. Also, occasionally you will need to clean the whirley bird spinner under the hoper that flicks the granules, or "Broad casts" them, fertilizer builds up on it and it does not broad cast well anymore and that will streak your lawn also.

They claim that there is a lot of contaminants in the granule type fertilizers, they say they have weeds in it. I still use it, but I have to spray weed killers because N. Idaho is the land of the wild weeds, "Not That Kind of Weed"!

So, when I spray the forbidden in "Canada" weed killers, I spray Nitrogen for a fertilizer at the same time.

Bought that same one last year. It's fine. Edge guard feature works well. I'm down to a small lawn in current residence.

I have the edge guard and it works well for a 1/3 acre lot. I like the edge guard feature...helps to keep weed killer granules out of shrubs, etc. The whole unit is not particularly robust but is fine for homeowner use. If I had an acre or more I would use a bigger unit.

I have the Agri - Fab 130 pound tow behind spreader.

Works great. Why walk? I hook it to my riding mower, presto.

Lower versions, 85 and 110 pound, are not built as well...

I recommend springing for something with pneumatic tires. So much better than plastic wheels.

I've also had goo luck with Scotts. They sent out a new set of wheels and tires when the valve stem developed a leak on mine at no charge. Spreader was at least 5 years old at that point.

Mine is the same as a scotts but it was about half as much..brand is "Expert" and it uses the same setting as the scotts spreaders.

Got one … but I'm another not liking the edge thingy. I broadcast 80% and then use a Scotts handheld to do tighter spots … or grab a bottle of their hose mount fertilizer …

I gave up on that putting down commercial, toxic waste all over the grass., I just walk around with a sack and a cup and toss the chicken or shovel and turn cow manure in the fall. But that's in the garden the "lawn" gets what nature gives it

Gee, wonder why we have over 600,000 cancer deaths in the U.S. yearly?

Echo RB-60 is going to be your least expensive with pneumatic wheels. Can get it on Amazon or pick it up at Home Depot/ Lowe's.

I must say, Scotts has excellent customer service though. So if you aren't worried about the plastic wheels, you won't go wrong with a Scotts DLX or Elite either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I gave up on that putting down commercial, toxic waste all over the grass., I just walk around with a sack and a cup and toss the chicken or shovel and turn cow manure in the fall. But that's in the garden the "lawn" gets what nature gives it

Good advice to avoid toxic fertilizers. I only use Milorganite if I "need" it, but after a few years of of chopping leaves and grass clippings with a mulching blade you won't even need that. Weed killer is another story...no reason to let dandelions etc infiltrate a perfectly good lawn...

Last edited:

Fertilizers are just made up of 3 elements- nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. All occur naturally in the environment already. Shouldn't need to worry about any fertilizers causing harm. Herbicides are probably what you are referring to. Try to limit those as much as possible.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Looks like the old rotary fertilizer spreader is kaput. Seems like the gear box is stripped and there's no way to open the box to check. Time to buy a new one.

The Scotts rotary spreader with the Edge Guard seems good. ( OK price point. Really not looking for a pro model). Anyone have one? Any other recommendations? Thanks.
smile.gif

I've had the edge guard for years. Not a fan of the edge feature. As a straight up spreader it's a ok for the price point. Does well even when a little wet but clumping will happen if your spreading in drizzle sooner or later. More the product than the device. Cleans easy; dries quick in the sun. And back to the attic it goes!

I find it's cheaper and much less hassle for me to pay a service. I can't buy the product for what a service charges each application and I don't have to do it. But....if you insist I definitely would spring for the rubber tirespreader.

Mulching leaves and grass clippings goes a long way. Then some natural or organic fertilizer. Get the pH right and less fertilizer is needed.

Spot spray weeks if needed.

First it's the Roundup and now the Scotts, when will it end!
crackmeup2.gif

Was looking at ambulance chasers on the web … one manages to have this number:
800-800-8888

Back