Valvoline Heavy Duty Diesel 15W-40 CK4/SN

Little bit more of everything going on here, despite the SN rating. Blackstone called it Premium Blue on the report, but it's not. This is the white bottle Valvoline HD Diesel oil.

[Linked Image]

Nice, 1230 ppm Zinc for an SN oil. Looks perfect for a motorcycle or an old school flat tappet engine.

Good TBN from a modern Ca & Mg detergent package, plus ~60 ppm Moly, and 125 ppm Boron.

Looks good to me.

Originally Posted by SR5
Nice, 1230 ppm Zinc for an SN oil. Looks perfect for a motorcycle or an old school flat tappet engine.

Good TBN from a modern Ca & Mg detergent package, plus ~60 ppm Moly, and 125 ppm Boron.

Looks good to me.

I concur completely. Looks good!

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
OP: thank you for the VOA, much appreciated
cheers3.gif

No problem!

I was hesitant to post it, wanted to keep it my secret conventional HD Diesel oil
lol.gif

Glad to share.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SR5

Looks good to me.

Yep! i just broke in a ford cleveland solid flat tappet oval track motor with this oil. Worked out great!

Originally Posted by ssregal39
Originally Posted by SR5

Looks good to me.

Yep! i just broke in a ford cleveland solid flat tappet oval track motor with this oil. Worked out great!

Nice, glad to hear! It's in my 6.7 Cummins now, will post the UOA when it's changed out.

Thank you for posting this. It so happens that I bought 2 gallons of the Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 yesterday for my old Benz.

It goes for $14.99 per gallon at my local Auto Zone. That is about $2 or $3 more than Delo and Delvac at my local WalMart. But I have never tried this oil before, so I thought I would splurge for a change. That's me, the last of the big spenders, I tell you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jett Rink
Thank you for posting this. It so happens that I bought 2 gallons of the Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 yesterday for my old Benz.

It goes for $14.99 per gallon at my local Auto Zone. That is about $2 or $3 more than Delo and Delvac at my local WalMart. But I have never tried this oil before, so I thought I would splurge for a change. That's me, the last of the big spenders, I tell you.

Hah! That's funny.

This isn't Premium Blue, though. It's the white bottle, regular 15W-40 HDEO from Valvoline.

AutoZone didn't have the Valvoline white bottle conventional 15w-40 HDEO. Only the Premium Blue.

Looking at the Valvoline website, I don't even see the white bottle listed in their HDEO section.
Valvoline 15w-40 HDEO

Maybe the old white bottle has been phased out and replaced by the Premium Blue.

Originally Posted by HDoilDude
Nah it's a WalMart exclusive, I believe.

I do believe that is correct, similar to the 15w40 Valvoline high mileage synthetic blend for diesels over 125,000 miles available at Wally World. I really wouldn't consider that high mileage for a diesel more like just broke in.

Appears to be more of a marketing technique for fleet oil possibly as Premium Blue may be their #1 seller in general.

I did the oil change yesterday.

Out came the Valvoline conventional 10w-30. I normally stick with 15w-40, but experimented with that as a winter oil. We do get some days with temperatures below 10 degrees Fahrenheit here in east Tennessee. So I was curious if there would be a difference in starting the car with 10w-30 instead. It was, in fact, a little easier to start the car on those very cold days than with 15w-40.

In went about 6.3 quarts of conventional Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40. The most noticeable difference is that the 3 liter, inline 6 M103 engine seems to idle smoother with the 15w-40. Mann oil filter change, too.

Considering that most winter days here are not cold enough where the advantage of the 10w-30 over 15w-40 makes it noticeably easier to start the car, I'll probably just stick with the 15w-40 all the time from here on out.

No real preference for Valvoline, by the way. I've been using Chevron Delo and Rotella conventional 15w-40 in the past. No complaints at all with those oils, just experimenting with something else.

Cool, cool.

The Premium Blue is a different formula/blend than this, the white bottle HDEO, but looking forward to any UOA you post.

Cheers!

Last edited:
The PQIA posted a VOA of this oil too: http://pqiadata.org/Valvoline_15W40.html

I do not understand how this oil is CK4/SN rated since it has >800 PPM of phosphorus.

In my area, Walmart no longer stocks this oil, and this specific oil is not listed on Valvoline's website any longer. Valvoline's CK4/SN heavy-duty diesel oil is now labeled as VALVOLINETM PREMIUM BLUETM ONE SOLUTION GEN2.

Originally Posted by rileyc
I do not understand how this oil is CK4/SN rated since it has >800 PPM of phosphorus.

I have read enough conflicting claims on this subject to make my head spin. But it seems to boil down to this oil being a Xw-40. If it was a Xw-30, then the phosphorous level for SN would come into play. That is, the low phosphorus levels required by API SN apply only to 0W-20 through 10W-30 viscosity lubricants.

But I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time...

Originally Posted by rileyc
The PQIA posted a VOA of this oil too: http://pqiadata.org/Valvoline_15W40.html

In my area, Walmart no longer stocks this oil, and this specific oil is not listed on Valvoline's website any longer. Valvoline's CK4/SN heavy-duty diesel oil is now labeled as VALVOLINETM PREMIUM BLUETM ONE SOLUTION GEN2.

White bottle HDEO is available online, all day and night! Same with the red bottle high mileage HDEO variety.

Premium blue is premium blue, and this white bottle is not premium blue. They've both been on the market for a while, at the same time, both are rated as CK4/SN.

And yeah from what I can tell, it's the 40 weight that makes it beefy in certain additives, not the API rating, necessarily.

Last edited:
Back