Rheinol 5w40 Primus:

I have been unable to find a VOA on this oil. I've been using it in a 4.6 litre, 3-valve Ford for over 6 years because it is free to me. The engine currently has 229,000 miles running a 4.30 gear. Oil changes have varied anywhere from 8,000 to 10,000 miles with a Motorcraft filter.

Photo attached is the engine's left bank when VC gaskets were replaced at 220,000 miles.

[Linked Image]

Wonder what the ZDDP content is???

You probably don't want to debate that topic. Dad was a NASCAR crew chief (and part of the 396 FE team that won Riverside in 1968) and we had a chassis dyno growing up, so we never followed norms.

My wife bought a 2017 Honda fit. The first 5 oil changes were done by the dealer with 0w20. After that, i used the 5w40 Primus because its free. MPG did not change from the numbers recorded with 0w20.

The police department i retired from in 2011 used 15w40 Rotella in everything - in an almost exclusively Ford 4.6 and 5.4 fleet - and never had a code for VCT or any type of oil related problems.

Not here to influence anyone one way or the other...

Thats a beauty! Good to hear the 4.6's run so well on the higher viscosity. The mileage did suffer, but it is probably around .05% :p

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
Thats a beauty! Good to hear the 4.6's run so well on the higher viscosity. The mileage did suffer, but it is probably around .05% :p

Most likely...

Note this oil also has Lamborghini and Maserati approvals, plus BMW LL01, and Porsche A-40...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Probably a decent oil, but i suspect it has lowered ZDDP levels to make it LSPI and catalyst friendly.

Today, just for fun, i changed the oil and threw Shell Rotella T4 15w40 in it with a new Motorcraft filter.

I was instantly surprised by how much snoither and quieter the 4 6 3-valve was.

Hmmmmmmmm

Originally Posted by Cellist
Great oil and a very clean and spotless engine! Is the car mostly driven on the highway?

Mostly highway, but plenty of in town driving too. Its a daily driver.

I have run a 160°F thermostat for over 10 years. I then program the fan strategy to keep the operating temps right around 195°F. The use of a 160°F ensures the thermostat is not modulating/restricting coolant flow because it is always open.

Low speed fan comes on at 195°F and off at 188°F. High speed comes on at 205°F and off at 198°F. High speed default is on at any temperature over 212°F.

On a 100°F day in traffic, the coolant temps stay between 195°F and 198°F with the A/C on. With the custom, .032" orifice tube, vent temps are always around freezing.

[Linked Image]

Car is 100% smog legal and passes inspection even with a very aggressive tune.

A few more pics of the beater...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even with the 4.30 axle, 5th gear is a .068 overdrive. Having tuning software allows me to tune the vehicle for very conservative settings at light throttle - for example, my cruise timing @2,250 rpm is 55° BTDC and fuel mixtures are leaned as much was EGT's and smooth running will allow - but at WOT, the mixture becomes progressively richer, camshafts and ignition timing are retarded all the way to the 6,400 rpm rev limit.

The top speed limiter is switched off, but catalyst temperature controls and traction control are retained.

Its like having two different engines...

Last edited:
Question, is the .032" custom orfice the expansion valve of the air conditioning system? Is it larger than the stock orfice size?

I am guessing that your tune gives you improved highway mileage when driven normally too?

That is a very good looking car!

I grew up just south of you in the Imperial Valley. You are doing really well getting such cold air from your A/C.

This Oil is even here in germany "exotic", because it is a small company. Comparable to "Eurolub".
I am very surprised to see it here on BITOG. Nice to see it performed so well!

Originally Posted by frankbee3
Question, is the .032" custom orfice the expansion valve of the air conditioning system? Is it larger than the stock orfice size?

I am guessing that your tune gives you improved highway mileage when driven normally too?

That is a very good looking car!

I grew up just south of you in the Imperial Valley. You are doing really well getting such cold air from your A/C.

Hey!

The orifice tube in a Ford system takes the place of the expansion valve in other systems. The stock tubes are .047"

Yes, being able to have complete control over the engine's yields big dividends in economy.

Back