Chrome socket with an impact, BUT using an impact extension/adapter

Most of my 3/8 stuff is chrome other than some impact swivels and I use that the most for cordless impacts (engine work mostly). I've broken many snap on sockets , I have yet to see one actually shatter. They just split.

Originally Posted by cb_13

For the money Harbor Freight made in Taiwan impact sockets are great.

I agree! I try not to put chrome on my impact. Occasionally i have no choice like someone mentioned a pinon yoke or wheels with small lug nut holes. But those are rare for me.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by cb_13

For the money Harbor Freight made in Taiwan impact sockets are great.

I agree! I try not to put chrome on my impact. Occasionally i have no choice like someone mentioned a pinon yoke or wheels with small lug nut holes. But those are rare for me.

There are anti scuff/mar Teflon sleeves that fit sockets, if Mr Safety is around those would contain/guide the shards in one spot.

Generally though the places you would use a chromy are so tight that the socket would be self contained if it blew.

My guess is you aren't trying to hammer the living crap out of it at high RPM though so the danger is much less.

I don't think the socket will explode, I've only ever seen sockets crack down the sides from impact use. May be more of an issue if you using 3/4" drive on semi truck wheels.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
I don't think the socket will explode, I've only ever seen sockets crack down the sides from impact use. May be more of an issue if you using 3/4" drive on semi truck wheels.

Only socket I've ever seen explode was an impact rated u-drive at high rpm.

I have seen a chromy split but never explode.

Originally Posted by Klutch9
Yes I know, using chrome sockets on an impact wrench is a bad idea. The reason being is that the chrome sockets don't absorb the impact force like the CR-V impact sockets do, and can shatter. Is it okay however to use a chrome socket on an impact, IF you use an impact-rated extension or adapter in between? That way there is still something to take up the force of the impact. And as many of you know, the more extensions/adapters you add, the more the impacting effect is reduced. I ask this because i have various size impact sockets (1/2, 3/8) and use them between my 1/2 impact wrench and my impact driver which has a 1/4 hex with impact-rated socket adapters. Most of the fasteners being worked with don't require a lot of power to move, fwiw.

Not quite sure what you are asking or when you say chrome- you mean the chrome alloy (Cr-V or Cr-Mo) in the construction of the socket or the plating ( chrome or black oxide)

Either one can be treated/relieved and dimensioned for safe impact use- moly is just cheaper and either can be plated after the fact ( post treatment plating is more expensive)- just a matter of cost

But in general terms a non-impact socket is harder ( resisting deformation) so when used in an impact mode is more susceptible to stress fracture and fatigue due to high frequency high impact loading.

The impact socket is less hard but compensates by additional mass.

On the extensions- each extension will lose energy at the insert point due to clearance and then each one has a degree of torsional twist/deflection.

Not much to be done to get around those losses.

Just remembered an old failure analysis

Some less than scrupulous manufacturers will use a lower quality steel and a smaller dimension then over plate to give the illusion of weight and hardness- watch out for those kinds.

If it feels "light", don't buy it

Originally Posted by Klutch9
Is it okay however to use a chrome socket on an impact, IF you use an impact-rated extension or adapter in between?

In a rare moment of ****-it, let's get it done NOW, I used a chrome socket on a long extension, powered by a little 1/4" drive impact driver with socket extension, to tighten a buried bolt head. The bolt was turning, but I was surprised to see a stream of... something falling down to the floor as I hammered away at all of 10 ft/lbs. After a few more tries (lots of run-in, but it was moving) I kept seeing it and caught some, it was some kind of fine glitter. When I examined the socket (an admittedly cheap sacrificial Craftsman), it was clear where all that "glitter" came from. It was chrome from the inside of the socket.

I have no idea whether my SK's would have faired as poorly, but I don't abuse my expensive tools. (Just the cheap ones
grin.gif
).

Off topic - If you're curious, the "bolt head" was of a big hose clamp, and I was using it to clamp down and quiet a loose Honda Cat shield. The other half of the shield was rusted off and had already been removed, now this one was in the process of doing the same, but the meaty part holding it on was not easily accessible. I was clamping it down to its mount, not the cat, so there was still air space. The hose clamp sure must have gotten hot, though... but that "fix" worked, and lasted a couple of years until I removed the now-fully-rusty shield and hose clamp, and sold the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Dave9
No, it (using an extension) will reduce the effective force of the impact tool but still poses a risk of cracking, and of ending up with the chrome plating flaking off like a little razor blade spinning around, slicing fingers and other things. IMO that is far more significant than whether you ruin the socket and are forced to buy the impact sockets you should've used in the first place.

I've used chromed sockets without failure but I still won't recommend it.

Shouldn't hold a spinning socket either, Might as well adhere to all the safety precautions
wink.gif

I have to admit I’m guilty of using an adapter with an impact and chrome socket. I needed a thin walk 19 for aftermarket wheels and the 3/8 chrome 19 is the only thing that would fit and I don’t have a working 3/8 impact so I used either my air or my Milwaukee 1/2 inch with the impact adapter down to 3/8 and used it. Didn’t give any issues though I was nervous doing it lol. It was a Kobalt socket held up fine still using to this day.

I've done it with a chrome 1/2-3/8 drive adapter on a Toyota crank pulley. There was no room for the impact socket. The 3/8 nose looks a bit twisted now. Wouldn't budge with the impact. Tried a breaker bar, pavement and the starter. Ended up borrowing a 3/4 drive impact and a special short impact socket.

20220117_212353_resized.jpg

I do all the time, sometimes an impact socket won't fit, like the 12mm bolts for the rear hub bearing assembly, 12mm impact wouldn't fit through the holes in the hub. All my sockets are 1/2" though, and my impact is puny (320ft lbs), you might have problems if you use a 1000ft lb 3/8" air tool on a chrome socket.

Back